PDA

View Full Version : GF Help?

TheSpoonyBard
08-11-2003, 11:58 AM
I've just re-discovered one of my old memory cards under my bed, and I've got a FF8 save somewhere on Disc 4. All the characters are Lv. 100, as are all the GF's. I need some help junctionong them, because I always get them mixed up. I'd also like to know who the best people are to have in your team. Thanks in advance.

BG-57
08-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Do you already know how to junction GF's, magic, and abilities? I stayed with Squall, Quistis, and Zell throughout most of the game.

soulICE
08-11-2003, 11:47 PM
what do you mean by junctioning help?

i always try to even out the abilities, like make it so everyone gets the most stat junctioning. even it out so everyone can get ability 3x, elemental/status attacks and defenses, etc. for example, both carbuncle and diablos have the ability3x ability, so they dont need to be junctioned on the same person. once you get bahaumet and diablos, both have the mug ability, its good to have them on different people so you got two people mugging at once ;)

i usually have squall(duh), irvine and rinoa.

Peegee
08-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Split the junctions so that GFs with duplicate abilities (like brothers and ifrit with str-J) don't go together with one person (thus wasting a perfectly good str-J). Make one person a 'medic', with treatment/recover ability, and junction strong defence magic in his/her stat-D (like 100 pain and sleep defence). The other two should be the same, with strength or magic depending on the person (squall, zell, irvine with strength, and magic junctions with the girls). Junction cerebrus with the medic, I suppose, and do whatever you want with the rest. There's like 16 GFs I think, so there's a whole lot you can do to split them up between six people (or three if you want to be insane).

Good luck. I'm still trying to remember it all myself.

TheSpoonyBard
08-12-2003, 11:13 AM
I already know how to junction GFs and magic, and I'm on Disc 4. I realise now that what I said at the beginning was a bit confusing, so I'll try to explain. I have all of the GFs, as well all the high level magics (Ultima, Flare, Meteor, Triple, etc). I know how to junction the magics properly, but I need hel pfigureing out which GFs to junction to which person. For example, if you could set it out like this, it would be a great help;

Squall

GF 1. Name
GF 2.
GF 3.
etc.

Character 2

GF 1.
GF 2.

You get the picture. I'm also not sure who to have in my party. I know I need Squall, but I'm at a loss when it comes to choosing the other two characters.

Thanks for your contributions already, and thanks in advance for further help.

BG-57
08-12-2003, 01:30 PM
When I played FFVIII, I had exactly the same concern. So I made a grid listing all the GF abilities to see where they overlapped. I then distributed the GFs to minimize overlapping abilities. Here's what I came up with:

Character 1 (Squall):
Quetzecoatl
Brothers
Cerberus
Bahamut

Character 2 (Quistis):
Shiva
Siren
Diablos
Pandemonia
Alexander
Cactuar (*)

Character 3 (Zell):
Ifrit
Carbuncle
Leviathan
Doomtrain
Tonberry King
Eden

Cactuar is actually a bit variable. I moved him from character to character, depending on which character I wanted to get all the bonuses. But since you're done leveling up, keep him with Character 2.

Also note I used amnesia greens to substitute some abilities that were outdated with better ones.

With this scheme you can get almost every ability and magic junction on every character, except for ones like mug and devour.

Peegee
08-12-2003, 03:26 PM
It doesn't matter, because (as anybody who mastered FF8 would know) GFs are not necessary to beat the game. The only reason you should care is if you have a specific need for a person (like a medic).

Read my post above. However if you want a better reason: junction the gfs that have the highest compatibility with the SeeD member. For example, if Quetzecoatl has 1000 compatibility with Squall, you should junction it with Squall. Etc.

soulICE
08-12-2003, 11:39 PM
i dont even use GFs much for summoning, with a few exceptions...

TheSpoonyBard
08-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks BG-57, that grid system works great. I all I need to do now is work on their compatabilities. I'd still like some other ideas from other people as I'm trying to find out who I should have in my team. At the moment I've got Squall, Rinoa, and Selphie, all Lv. 100. In fact, all my characters are Lv. 100. I'm experimenting with other GF combinations at the moment, but I still haven't found the best one yet. Any further help would be appreciated.

BG-57
08-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Refine your card collection. You should have a lot of items that improve GF compatibility. Especially nice is the Chubby Chocobo card, that refines into 100 LuvLuvGs. They raise the compatibility of every equipped GF on a character.

TheSpoonyBard
08-16-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm returning now to the point made by BG-57 about making a grid system. I thought it was a good idea, so I decided to make one myself. I hope I have included all the abilities, but there may be a few I have missed out. If there are then please tell me and I will try to fix the problem. If you want to print it out you can, but it needs to be done in landscape. I hope it helps you find a good GF set-up.

I still need help finding a good team. I can't decide between Selphie and Quistis.

BG-57
08-17-2003, 05:24 AM
It looks much nicer than my hand-drawn one. :) You should submit this to the site to use in the FFVIII walkthrough/FAQ section.

It's paradoxical, but the characters you used the least may be the best. Since I used only three characters throughout most of my game, the other three characters were at level 13-15 or so by Disc 3. So I used Cactaur's bonus abilities to make those other three characters develop about +85 to four stats (Vit, Str, Spr, and Mag). So they have better stats at level 100 than my regular three.

Lena
08-29-2003, 12:59 AM
Iīd the same problem as you, specially when I was trying to have the best junction in order to defeat Omega, so if you wish, you could use my junction:

1. Squall
GF: shiva, diablos, pandemona, doomtrain, bahamut, eden

2. Rinoa
GF:Quetzacoatl, Siren, cerberus, alexander, cactuar

3. Irvine
GF: Ifrit, brothers, carbuncle, leviathan, tonberry

If you need an ability, select from the Item menu the Amnesia Greens (I think thatīs the name... you can buy them at any pet shop) and then erase one of the GF abilities (like Magic, Draw or GF... all of them have these abilities) and then use one of the items in your menu that provides the GF with the ability you want to learn (ex. adamantine makes a GF learn Vit + 60%) Other rare items like three-stars (you get it when you defeat either Ultima or Omega Weapon) makes a Gf learn the Exp3x1 ability... so you just have to select whatever you wish your GF to learn and customize them.