PDA

View Full Version : One thing I don't get about Tidus - small possible spoiler?

Xander
08-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Well I always thought Tidus could breathe underwater..along with the other residents of Spira, I mean he can play a Blitzball match for 5/10 minutes or however long it is!

So..I thought it strange when I noticed that just before the moment with him and Yuna in the lake at Macalania Woods, he takes a breath and holds it before diving underwater and then coming up again.

So...what's going on? Did Square make a mistake? Or can he not breathe underwater? Or did anyone else notice this at all even?

XeQtR
08-12-2003, 12:33 AM
On the very beginning, when you reach Besaid, if you talk to the Aurochs practicing on the beach, one of them will say that Wakka can hold his breath much longer then the others because he's been practicing more then them (can't remember exactly). I always thougth it was wierd that the blitzers could stand 10 minutes without breathing, but i guess it's all in the training ;)

That's probably the only more detailed thing i noticed :p

Flare_Star
08-12-2003, 12:56 PM
XeQtR is right - he does say that - or something like that.

but how does rikku do the same??
last time i checked she wasnt a blitz player

XeQtR
08-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Flare_Star: Maybe Rikku har found tons of underwater treasures? :p

m4tt
08-12-2003, 06:53 PM
I think the Al Bhed race is just used to going underwater, so Rikku has probably had plenty of practice.

Empathy
08-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I think it's Datto or Jassu that says it too. Rikku can because of her experience in salvaging underwater treasure as an Al Bhed.

It's just from training.

arcdragon9
08-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Not to rain on ur parade here or anything guys, but it could be the fact it that it is just video game. And they aren't by law required to follow the laws of physics, nature, thermodynamics, kinetics, or whatever else. Agian i mean not to rain on ur fun.

XeQtR
08-13-2003, 01:07 AM
arcdragon9: I see your point, but since there was an explanation to this in the game as well, we'll concentrate on that for now :p

Xander
08-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies..I think the reason I thought he could actually BREATHE underwater is a magazine article on FFX,
"While FFX characters look human, they all seem to be able to breathe underwater for hours on end"

It just seemed weird for him to actually take a breath when he was only swimming under the water for a couple of seconds in the lake! But I'm just picky...
And yeah it is just a video game but we could give that answer to most topics in this forum but wouldn't it be boring :p

Shlup
08-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Only read if you've beaten FFX: In the expanded ending to FFX ("Another Story") Yuna says she's been practacing holding her breath and can hold it for like 2 minutes now. Or maybe that was in the regular ending... I don't remember. Just thought I'd throw that in though.

Shayo
08-15-2003, 07:51 PM
woa, woa, theres an extended ending to this game? how do u get it?

zacks_clone
08-15-2003, 08:18 PM
i think its the stadium.the meachenery may cause players to be able to breath underwater longer

Leonhart
08-17-2003, 02:22 AM
The Extended ending is only on FFX international version. I heard a theory that in the blitzball stadium you could breathe in the water, because of magic or smething. The reason they can hold their breath outside of the stadium is because they have to hold their breath during practice sessions and stuff.

MoogleB
08-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Rikku has a breathing device in the beginning of the game.

FifthElement
09-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Hehe... i'll start the training! well I can hold the breath for 1:30 mins

Maxico
09-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Nope its not in the international version. Only the japanese one. They proberly couldn't re-hire the english speaking actors for an extra scene. So its only the japanese FFX international (so not really international). we still got the extra bosses (dark aeons and stuff) that arn't in the american version. Along with a DVD full of interviews and the video for the sateake du ne (sp?) song.

Starcrest
11-16-2003, 05:29 AM
ok, but, if they could hold there breath for o-so-long, then, wouldn't swimming, throwing, and passing and other stuff cause them to use MORE enegry, therefore, them needing MORE air? just a thougt

Big D
11-16-2003, 05:47 AM
The 'extended ending' is actually the clip called 'Another Story' on the bonus DVD that came with the International/PAL release of the game, apparently.

The Sphere Pool used for blitzball is a pretty nifty design. There's plenty of surface area where they could come up for air during a game, and a number of patterned shapes in the water itself, which could be 'breathing points' as well as markings on the field. As for underwater battles... well, I think we're meant to assume that the battles don't really take as long as they seem to in the game. Just like we know that the characters aren't "really" getting stabbed with swords or shot with machineguns during regular battles.

Starcrest
11-16-2003, 03:36 PM
oh, good point

Jalbrean
11-16-2003, 10:25 PM
For those that didn't get to see "Another story" from the international version you can download it here.

Final Fantasy X : Eternal Calm (48MB, 540x360 DivX) (http://www.pulsarmedia.syphgraphics.com/video/TheEternalCalm.zip)

I believe you'll need DivX to view it, but you can download that for free if you want to see it bad enough. This is the U.S. version that contains the English voice actors.

Xander
11-16-2003, 10:28 PM
I have the PAL version, (bought in the UK) and I don't remember this "Another Story" bit. I have a bonus DVD and remember interviews with staff and voice actors, trailers and clips of Kingdom Hearts but I don't remember this bit. Hmmm maybe it's just me I'll have to check the DVD again.

Sefie1999AD
11-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it's because of practising. Still, I wonder why the rest of the characters can't just buy or get some scuba gear and use it to dive. Scuba gear isn't a forbidden Machina, is it? Even if it is, that wouldn't keep the characters from using it when they discover that "Machina=bad" is just a stupid false rule set by Bevelle's Yevonists. But hey, don't you think that would explain it why Rikku can stay underwater? Maybe the Al Bhed have some diving Machina (or scuba)?

Jalbrean: Thanks for the link for English Eternal Calm. I downloaded a 210 MB version of it from ffx2.net and it didn't work. I downloaded it twice and it kept crashing in 5 seconds every time. :( This 48 MB should be a lot smaller and the quality should be acceptable.

Jalbrean
11-17-2003, 01:16 AM
I got the link from the FFX-2 forums. A guy with the name Pulsar re-compressed the file, and it's seemed to work for everyone. He also said it would be up until Friday and then he'd be deleting it.

I haven't downloaded the file personally as I bought the December issue of Official Playstation Magazine, which had the movie on the demo disc.

Maxico
11-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Like I said the PAL version (i.e europe, autrailia and new zealand I think. not sure about that) doesn't have another story

It does however have a bonus DVD with interviews and a music video of sateuk du ne (the theme song to the game) but no extra ending. I don't think they could re-hire the voice actors for 10 mins of cut-scene.

Sefie1999AD
11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by maxi333
It does however have a bonus DVD with interviews and a music video of sateuk du ne (the theme song to the game) but no extra ending. I don't think they could re-hire the voice actors for 10 mins of cut-scene.

Only FFX International Japanese had the extra ending, titled Another Story: Eternal Calm. However, it was released in Official PlayStation Magazine's, fully translated in English, and I think it's also included in the bonus DVD of Unlimited Saga PAL version. Square did hire all the original voice actors (at least Yuna, Wakka and Rikku; not sure about Tidus) for FFX Eternal Calm English version.

Jack
11-19-2003, 08:42 PM
I reckon its they can stay uderwater for as long as they want, it's just bloody knackering u know?
Plus, ythe other s CAN stay underwater, they can't swim underwater as much as Wakka.

As he comes out of the water, they take a breath? Thats their lungs readjusting to a different form of Oxygen, so it is a gasp of breath, becasue it needs to readjust.

Renember, yuna and Tidus stay underwater with each other:love: :love: :love: :love:

Yuna obviously didn't practise, but she can survive because they all can. It's just the swimming bit thats off limits.

oh yeah, the pal version didn't have what your on about. Square decided to annoy us insteed (IM from UK)

DMKA
11-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Rikku has a breathing device in the beginning of the game.
Possibly because shes an Al Bhed? or maybe she just needs to train...

I dunno but just remember they arn't on Earth, so there could be alot of differences in Atmosphere and such, and that would technically make them "aliens" of some sort, meaning they basically arn't human, and thus, the same rules on breathing that we have don't apply to them:).

DeBlayde
11-24-2003, 05:46 AM
i would just like to point out one tiny little fact.
during the first tournament of the year, the team goes back into the locker room, out of the sphere pool at halftime. That would make the underwater period only 5 minutes at a time, difficult but not impossible to train oneself to I suppose.

Starcrest
11-29-2003, 10:08 PM
What makes you say they arn't human? Just cause they arn't on earth, doesn't mean they aren't human. Don't they look human to you? Huh? Huh?! HUH??!!

Maxico
11-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Shiva's Effect
What makes you say they arn't human? Just cause they arn't on earth, doesn't mean they aren't human. Don't they look human to you? Huh? Huh?! HUH??!!

Common sense?

Starcrest
11-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Just cause they're not on earth, doesn't mean they're not human. The humans coulda gone to a different planet or something

Maxico
11-30-2003, 07:09 PM
I cant be bothered to argue. I didn't even say they wern't humans. and anyway

ITS A BLOODY GAME

Starcrest
11-30-2003, 07:15 PM
I never said u said they wern't humans. And the fact about it being only a game, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Cactuar2000
12-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Has anyone got a valid link for this alternate ending?

I would like to see it.

Phantom_Dream
12-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Shiva's Effect is REALLY overreacting. I mean....Triplu Huh? makes you look either stupid or protective. I ge tthe feleing somebody likes a characer in this game....

Starcrest
12-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Just cause my arguments make sense doesn't mean u have ta go make fun of me.

Phantom_Dream
12-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Well, your post did make you look a little foolish...-Sweatdrops- No hard feelings, I hope. Not into battling, and I don't play Pokémon anymore ;). And FFX you would beat the crap out of me.

Starcrest
12-23-2003, 10:28 PM
It's all good,