PDA

View Full Version : Meteor really ultimate?

FFT_Lancer
08-12-2003, 05:15 PM
i don't get meteor, it costs 60 MP yet Bolt 4 costs far less MP and deals more damage, and also has wider spread. What's up with this?

Flying Mullet
08-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Meteor is for a Time Mage, where Bolt4 is for a Black Mage. Black Mages are meant to deal more damage, whereas Time Mages are meant to offer support in battle with Haste, Slow, etc... Meteor is a spell thati's in the Time Mage's arsenal so that the Time Magic ability can deal some direct damage if need be, but Time Magic is never intended to be a direct magic attack type of skill.

To give a more "Final Fantasy Tactics reality" answer, Time Mages study support magic, not direct attack magic, so when they actually can cast a direct damage spell, it takes more magic points and does less damage as they have studied the skill less than the Black Mage.

FFT_Lancer
08-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Damn, it wasn't meteor then, it's the Wizard spell that costs 60 MP

Flying Mullet
08-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Are you thinking of Flare? I've never used flare much outside of boss battles. I find that behind Holy, Flare does great damage to bosses(more so than the elemental magics like Bolt), but other than that summons and black magic are better as they cover more ground in your everyday battles.

FFT_Lancer
08-12-2003, 05:32 PM
yeah, flare, Bolt 4 is better than that, but i never really use wizards for boss battles, hate when i'm charging they move, but when they charge i can never move and it takes them like 2 turns to move and me 8

Flying Mullet
08-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Use the Time Mage's "Short Charge" ability. It will take significantly less time to cast spells. And when you are casting spells, check the AT list to make sure that the oppontent that you are casting the spell on doesn't have a turn before you cast the spell, or they will move.

ShadyMilkman
08-18-2003, 02:04 AM
Why bother using any type of Mage? Get a Calculator. It sucks like crap trying to get them to learn stuff, but wait till you change them back to any other job with Math Skill as a second ability. When I fought Elmdor's Zodiac form... whatever it was called. ALL my characters were put to sleep but my Wizard/Calculator.... She beat him all on her own, without taking ANY damage and without losing MP. Calculators are my second fav. Job... behind Ninjas that is.:D

Mwork
08-18-2003, 03:44 AM
Why bother using any type of Mage?

....you just admitted to using a mage.......and I'm sure you must have a reason for using one, and there's your answer. :)

Flare is actually stronger than any level 4 elemental spell. It hits harder with proportionately less MP. And it charges quicker, too. The only thing Lv. 4 spells have over Flare is that they hit a wiiide area. And they can sometimes be used to exploit elemental weaknesses.

ShadyMilkman
08-18-2003, 11:05 PM
The reason I used a Time Mage was to learn the abilities that Calculators use. Ya know, haste, slow, stop (muahahaha), don't move, and other crap, demi... too bad you cant use Meteor... that would be pimped out. I always trained it as a priest and wizard.... sooooo it knows Holy, Flare, Stop, and Death... uses it on several enemies at once at it costs NOTHING!!! You can build an army of cheap-skate wizards that way.:save:.... I use the wizard class for the magic boost.... another thing to try is giving a character secret clothes and fly or teleport.... get somewhere where nothing can hit you and you become an untoppable magic god!!! Just make sure you dont Foxbird your allies.... very very very bad idea... especially if they have Blade Grasp....Oh, and one more thing. if you are getting a Calculator type thing-a-ma-bobber. When you change it back to a wizard, priest, summoner prolly even better. or whatever you do..... give it the Faith Rod.... this makes you pretty much twice as strong. Magic Gauntlets dont hurt either.

Mwork
08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
summoner prolly even better

I don't see why....

Sacrifice MA and Speed for a skillset you won't use anyway? No thank you.

ShadyMilkman
08-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Hey hey hey.... chill out there lil buddy. I'm just saying that I personally would like a Summoner for the purpose of that extra skillset due to the advantages of not hitting yourself no matter what. It gives you another option, ya know. I'm not trying to be anything special, I'm just giving suggestions. But, imagine if you could use Summons with Calculators.... now, that would be tight!! Summon Zodiac on each enemy individually, instantly, and without using MP...... whoooa.

Mwork
08-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Hey hey hey.... chill out there lil buddy.

I wasn't agitated or anything. I was just voicing my opinion. :)

But, imagine if you could use Summons with Calculators.... now, that would be tight!! Summon Zodiac on each enemy individually, instantly, and without using MP

Yeah.....though it would look a bit odd. This gigantic monster comes out and hits a guy with a blast big enough to cover the entire battlefield, but only that one guy gets hit...

ShadyMilkman
08-19-2003, 01:49 AM
Haha.. good point. Kinda the same thing when you use flare... the whole screen turns red and "non-elemental fire"....???.... goes everywhere! but only one person gets touched..... question for ya... whats your fav. job class??? Mine is obvious: I find speed as the most valuable asset. Stealth is the key to my kind of survival.... and I LIKE TO CHUCK STUFF AT BAD GUYS!!!!! can you guess mine???

lemonation
08-31-2003, 07:54 PM
Mediator?;)
I like lots of things. Chemists kick so much @$$. Monks are cool, any mage whatsoever, with the possible exception of the oracle and mediator.

ShadyMilkman
08-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Oh yes, the Mediator lol. You know I love dem Ninjas. Especially with Thief as the second ability.

lemonation
09-01-2003, 03:31 AM
Summoner with some other awesome ability. Summons have to be my favorite thing in Final Fantasy. In VII, Red Materia is my favorite to get. In X, I love Yuna. Summons rule.

Gregory
09-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Calculators and Ninjas aren't that different. They're both pretty lethal, they learn pretty good skills (aside form throw and math skill) and they create most of the best combos of the game. For ex. Ninja, Attack-UP and strongest weapon to throw or double slash. Calculators, have MP-Switch MP-Move Up and UpMagic Attack. And then those combos are what make Velius look like a lv 1. Squire. But, Ninja's defense and Calculator's Speed really suck.

Summoners aren't that bad either. They learn the most powerful attack in the game. Imagine Summoner, secondary skill, Time Magic, Magic Attack UP, Short Charge, and Ignore Height. It can use Zodiac after it casts Haste on itself, the haste and short charge combo can really scar really slow Monks or Knights. The Magic Attack UP can up the Zodiac and Ignore Height can bring you to a safe stop while your enemies burn in hell.

ShadyMilkman
09-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Very nicely put, Gregory.

I agree alot. Calculator, in my mind, is the only job class able to win battles on their own. Pretty much every other class would get worn down. But, since Calculator need not worry to get close, rather stay off in a corner somwhere. This is why Calculator... and maaaaybe Dancer, are the only job classes really capable of winning an entire Zodiac battle by itself. That is, of course, if you don't include Holy Swordsman and Temple Knight. But, we're just talking about generic allies, right? Ninjas are still my FAVORITE job though. So.... stealthy... yet,.... so... deadly.

The Amazing Spiderman
09-03-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ShadyMilkman
Very nicely put, Gregory.

I agree alot. Calculator, in my mind, is the only job class able to win battles on their own. Pretty much every other class would get worn down. But, since Calculator need not worry to get close, rather stay off in a corner somwhere. This is why Calculator... and maaaaybe Dancer, are the only job classes really capable of winning an entire Zodiac battle by itself. That is, of course, if you don't include Holy Swordsman and Temple Knight. But, we're just talking about generic allies, right? Ninjas are still my FAVORITE job though. So.... stealthy... yet,.... so... deadly.

Yo, I finish the game with goddamn Knights my second play, no more no less, and I beat Elibibs at the 3rd chance.

Meteor: crap, there's better things for your time mage dude. Practically, you won't find any time you'll use it, since every boring dude uses a calculator. (sue me, I play with wizards still. More fun) My tip: Avoid it unless you want to master the job.