PDA

View Full Version : A helpful tip/amusing antecdote.

Wightraven
08-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Thinking about Sabin's scenario lately, mostly because of the "Shadow's Price" thread, and I thought I'd recant an interesting tale, with a helpful tip contained within (hence the title)...

The second time I played through the game, after the waterfall, I found myself with Cyan dead, Sabin severely wounded, a huge stretch of land to run across, and NO healing items whatsoever.

After several failed attempts to make it to Mobliz, I decided to save after each step I took, figuring that the battles had to happen at a random interval, and that eventually I would make it across.

However, lo and behold, after each save, no battle would come. I was guranteed a free step in the right direction, and made my happy way to Mobliz in no time!

Now, I must admit this trick was performed on the old SNES cart, so I don't know if it'll work on the ROM or the PSX version, but chancing that it might help someone caught in the same predicament I was, I post.

Flying Mullet
08-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Well this would certainly help that person that wants to beat the game at the lowest level possible, although it would take them forever.

m4tt
08-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
Well this would certainly help that person that wants to beat the game at the lowest level possible, although it would take them forever.

Especially if playing the Anthologies version where it takes 10 seconds just to load the freakin MENU!!!

Wightraven
08-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Yeah, that's a pain, Gau.

On a side note, I HAVE beaten the game with only Celes, Setzer, and Edgar. I was only around level 35, and NO I didn't use a gameshark. Just took a LOT of time.

God I wish I still had my cart... *cries*

MJN SEIFER
08-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Gau
Especially if playing the Anthologies version where it takes 10 seconds just to load the freakin MENU!!!

i HAVE Anthologies its always fast for me you probably just have a crap memory (The playstations memory not you'res!)

Flying Mullet
08-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by MJN SEIFER
i HAVE Anthologies its always fast for me you probably just have a crap memory (The playstations memory not you'res!)
I was excited about buying a PS2 for the fact that my FFVI load times on my Playstation were abysmal. But after buying my PS2 it has worse loading times than my Playstation did. So it can't be the memory. I'd guess that you got lucky and got a CD that was burned "better".

When did you buy Anthologies?

MJN SEIFER
08-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Ages ago!! and I use a PS2 BTW

Flying Mullet
08-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Go figure. Maybe it's the CD then.

m4tt
08-13-2003, 08:38 PM
I bought Anthologies around the time it came out. My ps2 is only 3 or 4 months old. I doubt that I have bad memory.

GogoTheMimic
08-24-2003, 12:55 AM
I bought Anthologies the day that it came out because I'm obsessed with FFVI. The load times are so long that I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd get to Tritoch.

The Man
08-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Maybe the European version of the game is faster. I've never heard any rumours to that extent though.

Celes
08-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Everyone says the anthology load times are terrible...I'll admit they are not super fast, but they are not so bad that you go crazy waiting for the game. I think maybe people exaggerate a little when they say how slow the game is. I have played the anthology version a million times, and it never occured to me that it was too slow. I was just mad about the fact that they didn't include all the characters in the beginning FMV. I was looking forward to seeing Locke, and Strago, and Relm....oh well. Still a great game, no matter how you look at it.

The Man
08-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Locke's apparently included, but you don't get to see his face.

Flying Mullet
08-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Celes
Everyone says the anthology load times are terrible...I'll admit they are not super fast, but they are not so bad that you go crazy waiting for the game. I think maybe people exaggerate a little when they say how slow the game is. I have played the anthology version a million times, and it never occured to me that it was too slow. I was just mad about the fact that they didn't include all the characters in the beginning FMV. I was looking forward to seeing Locke, and Strago, and Relm....oh well. Still a great game, no matter how you look at it.
I've timed the loading time when I'm going into battle and it literally takes 15-20 seconds for a battle to load. That is just rediculous. And I know it is not just my machine or game because others have had the exact same problems and aren't exaggerating on the load times.

m4tt
08-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Celes
Everyone says the anthology load times are terrible...I'll admit they are not super fast, but they are not so bad that you go crazy waiting for the game.

Compared to the old SNES loading times of about a second, Anthologies is a royal pain in the ass. You would think with a faster machine (ps2 or playstation) you'd be able to get atleast CLOSE to the same loading times as the SNES...

Originally posted by The Man
Locke's apparently included, but you don't get to see his face.

Not apparently, he IS there. You see the back of his head. ;o

The Man
08-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't know 'cause I've never seen the FMV. ;)

Night_Sword
08-26-2003, 01:40 AM
I am just curious to how one persons playstation would have bad memory compared to anothers?

GogoTheMimic
08-26-2003, 03:38 AM
Apparently the reason why you don't see Locke's face is because he would look a lot like Cloud or something. *shrug* They do look very similar if you compare Amano sketches of the two, which is what the FMV's were based off of, thank God.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
08-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Night_Sword: I am just curious to how one persons playstation would have bad memory compared to anothers?

That was what I was gonna post.....

Anyways I have the Final Fantasy Cronicals and My FFIV has a Pritty sad "Save" Loading time......Must be close to 1 minute to Save a game and get back to playing....

after playing FF7-9 on my PS and being able to save in under 15 seconds I was sevearly Shocked by the long Save times....

But then I said.....Hey at least I get to Play FFIV and Chrono Trigger again without a Stupid Emulator And ROM....

Xander
08-26-2003, 11:37 AM
I have the FFVI playstation re-release, the UK one (it came with a demo of FFX).

I don't know if this is the same as the one you guys have (cos I also have "FF anthology" but that has IV and V on)

But the time the menu takes to load is *really* slow, just after pressing triangle, it was slow on my psone and now is just as slow on my ps2. The other bits in the game are okay though, just the menu loading.

I'm guessing it's the disc rather than the Playstation itself.

Atma Weapon
09-28-2003, 06:48 AM
The problem with the slowdown lies within
Compared to the old SNES loading times of about a second, Anthologies is a royal pain in the ass. You would think with a faster machine (ps2 or playstation) you'd be able to get atleast CLOSE to the same loading times as the SNES...
The problem with the slowdown lies within the way that 2D and 3D graphics are drawn and stored. In a 2D game, every possible frame of animation is pre-drawn and stored in the games RAM as you play. A cartridge has it's own RAM while a CD has to rely on the RAM of it's system. Offsetting this disadvantage however is tha fact that CDs contain much more raw storage than cartridges. Because of this, a "less powerful" system like the SNES can actually be better at drawing 2D sprites than a more modern system which is geared toward 3D gameplay. I may not be 100% accurate on everything I said, but that is the basic reason why the load times are worse on the PSX version.:mog:

Edit: The game counts your steps and somehow converts them into a percentage of encountering a random battle. If you only take one step at a time then you still have a chance of encountering a random battle, but that chance is very very low. If you go 255 steps between battles however than the 255th step is almost guarenteed to be a random battle. I think I got the algorithm from http://www.gamefaqs.com, You should check out the algorithm FAQ sometime, it's really interesting