PDA

View Full Version : question about choosing races

project_mayhem
08-13-2003, 10:40 PM
ok if you choose say a mithra(high dex i think)
would you decrease your attack delay
especially with a monk....
or if its not dex is there a stat that does that???

Krystic_WLA
08-14-2003, 01:09 AM
mithra are the fastest race...meaning it has the highest DEX and AGI of any race, which raises the attack speed of any weapon u choose.

Tom Morello
08-14-2003, 02:31 AM
Yeah Mithra own :D

*will be choosing a Mithra character*

project_mayhem
08-14-2003, 02:44 AM
so a mithra monk would be the fastest attacking starting class?

awesome

Krystic_WLA
08-14-2003, 04:33 AM
taedrin i thought u were going to be elvaan....

...im playing as a mithra in beta and they seem really cool though..

..we need some mithras in the WLA...

(and Galkas...me being the only one so far lol)

Tom Morello
08-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Yeah... well you haven't been hanging around a lot lately... I'm gonna be a Mithra now... I've picked a face, hair, size, and name... yup...

I've also played lotsa beta... an Elvaan... which made me realize how much I DON'T want to be an elvaan in the real game... yup...

CloudS_1
08-14-2003, 02:24 PM
What's so bad about being an Elvaan (just asking)?

Bahamut2000X
08-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Elvaan's have semi low magical stats. Theirs is higher then a Galka's but still pretty low, so a Elvaan mage isn't all that great, although they do have the highest spirit so they make the strongest white mages, but they have low MP so it'll be hard with fewer spells to be able to cast at the start.

Tom Morello
08-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by CloudS_1
What's so bad about being an Elvaan (just asking)?

If you make an elvaan... you wanna be a warrior right? Well... why be an elvaan when you could be the stronger Galka, or the faster Mithra?

I asked myself this many times, before realizing I want to choose a mithra... yup...

I also am quite sure that spirit is magic defence... and that int is used to determine the strength of spells... although you showing me a link to your probably old source would completely confirm what I am saying XD

CloudS_1
08-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Alright, Thanks.

Bahamut2000X
08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Actually spirit is (and has always been) determined in white magic strength. Magic defense is magic defense, not spirit. Magic determines the power of black magic spells.

why be an elvaan

You have more speed then the Galka, and much more strength then the Mithra. Their more versitile then either of the two.

Ouch!
08-15-2003, 02:56 AM
Let's assume for a second, not using real stats, but rather numbers to represent the real stats without getting into the real confusing stuff, that a Galka dishes out ten damage an attack, but attacks at 2/3 the speed that an Elvaan does.

An Elvaan deals seven damage an attack and they attack once each second. And a Mithra deals five damage an attack and attacks at 3/2s the speed of an Elvaan.

Now, Elvaans in a period of ten seconds will deal 70 damage.

In 10 seconds a Galka will dish out about 70 damage.

And in ten seconds a Mithra will dish out 75 damage.

Now, these stats were based on rough assumptions, but by this, they're all pretty much even. So it doesn't really matter in the long run. Galkas will have the added defense, Mithras the added evasion and the Elvaan will be in the middle. They seem pretty balanced in the end.

Tom Morello
08-15-2003, 03:59 AM
They're really not even...

I'll have to assume something... Bahamut hasn't played the game...

For one, Galkas are not slow. Everyone makes this assumption because they are big but that is not the case. They both have the same dex, and a Galka's agi stat is one higher than an Elvaan's (by looking at the stats)

You say "Magic defense is not spirit, it has always been white magic. Magic defense is magic defense"

Please show me somewhere where there is a magic defense stat... there isn't one... it's spirit. Spirit is magic defense, as it was in other FF games, and int is magic strength as it is in other games. Yes people were saying what you said but that was before. And even if spirit is white magic, Elvaans still have less mp than mithras, and it's only a one point difference.

Yup... Elvaans are not that great... cool looking... but not that great at all...

And whenever I say that people get all arguey... like... let it go... just because everyone had their hearts set on being them... yup...

Galkas are stronger and not necessarily slower, and Mithra's are faster and only have one less point of str... methinks... yup...

Much more str than a Mithra you say? Elvaans start with 9 and Mithras 8... 1 is much more? They more than make up for that anyhow with their 2 more agi and 2 more dex, making them more accurate, fast, and harder to hit. Plus they have higher int...

Whereas you said faster than a Galka... how? Elvaans agi: 6 Galka's 7. They both have 7 dex... but wait... they both have the same str! But Galkas have one more vit... so basically Galkas are elvaan's with one more agi and one more vit (as far a physical stats goes) and then 5 int (one higher than elvaans) 5 mnd (one lower) and 5 chr (one lower)

They make better warriors, no question about it. If you were picking soley on stats you would pick a Mithra or a Galka, and since I am I am picking Mithra. Of course the stats differences are not very VERY significant... so people can really just pick whatever they want to look like.

But don't be suprised if you're an elvaan being slightly outclassed by Mithras and/or Galkas

Krystic_WLA
08-15-2003, 06:51 PM
alright, since im playing a mithra in beta i gotta say that mithras DO do a lot of damage... Some people might think they dont becasue they dont look powerful, or that Galkas are slow becasue they are big like taerdin said....but trust me with my experience mithras can be strong...

...im right now a lvl 14 Mithra THIEF (mind you) and with the grapple i do 8-16 damage PER HAND and whoever has grapple attached to them hits twice! So on Average a Mithra THIEF lvl 14 can do 16-32 damage!

...now imagin a Galka monk.....*drools*

inlineskating29
08-21-2003, 04:31 AM
actually Taerdin white magic is determind by spirit and black is by intell ok

go here and it tells u
http://www.mrfixitonline.com/readPosting.asp?PostingId=861617

Jeristo
09-02-2003, 03:37 AM
Well, I'm gonna have to agree with Taerdin, because in all the sites I've checked out they've described intelligence as the "magic attack" and spirit as "magic defence". That is the only site that I've seen that describes them as the stats that determine the power of white magic or black magic.
I would also have to agree that Mithras rock. Though I haven't played the game, I've noticed from all the places I've checked out that if you want to go physical, go Mithra or Galka, but if you want magic go tarutaru. Though all of this is solely based on base stats.

inlineskating29
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
go to my site and it will tell u i posted it above jeristo

Lionx
09-03-2003, 04:53 AM
Spirit is Mind in the game. Its changed because there is no bonuses for Spirit, and just Mind(which was spirit) and INT.

INT=BLM
MND=WHM

As I said, every WHM besides taru doesnt have enough MP to make it worthwhile. So dont bother with Elvaan whms.

Elvaans excel at weapons and attk so use them for WARs and MNKs. The differences are slight in the beginning but as you lvl them up, the differences will become more apparent and branch out more.

Jeristo
09-03-2003, 05:48 AM
Okay, I give in.....for now.

But then what does that mean for the red mage? Is the red mage job's strength based on intelligence or spirit/mind?

It just doesn't seem right...but I can't find any of the sites that I was looking at earlier, so I guess I've gotta assume you guys are right...
:grr:

Lionx
09-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Red Mages are based on nothing. They can do it all, white and black magic and attk. Its whatever u want it to be, the red mage will sorta be it.

Seifer Lionheart
09-04-2003, 07:56 PM
COLOR=blue]I think I want to get a hume or elvaan, I like humes, but the elvaans have better stats, but yet the rping for humes are way cooler to me (their looks) and elvaans are an eyesore.[/COLOR]

inlineskating29
09-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Spirit is Mind in the game. Its changed because there is no bonuses for Spirit, and just Mind(which was spirit) and INT.

ya your right i ment to say mnd is what a whm should look at ok

Tom Morello
09-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by inlineskating29
ya your right i ment to say mnd...

Same here.... I ment to say mnd is what determines magic defense, and not spell power :D

Jeristo
09-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Woohoo!!! I've found it!!! A site that actually explains!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!! :D

Oh, and Taerdin and I were right....to a point anyway. It seems that mnd is the stat that controls the white mages power, as well as the stat that determines abnormal status resistance, AND magic defense!!!:tongue:

But I must admit that you guys were right too.:D

If you want to visit the site to see what I'm talking about, go to:

http://www.shadow-dragons.com/index2.htm

It should be under the jobs section.

It also has some of the best guides that I've seen.

Seifer Lionheart
09-05-2003, 12:43 AM
Yah, I've been ther before. Its like the only one thats not in some language I dont know.

And, just for conversation but what race does everyone like, lookswise?