PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is this game?

Cinna
08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
I haven't played this game. I'm very tempted however, because of its low price now and its great reviews. But...not I'm not the most skilled player and worry that this game will be too difficult and I won't be able to pass it! Yes, I have strange fears like that. I've heard this game is HARD. I beat Xenogears, is that a comparable level of difficulty?

Bahamut2000X
08-14-2003, 04:11 PM
FFT is the hardest game I have ever played thus far. It'll be a great challenge, although frustrating at many times. Although it's worth it I say sicne you can get it for 15 bucks or so now a days. I would get it, fun game despite all it's difficulty.

Flying Mullet
08-14-2003, 04:13 PM
It's a different type of difficulty. FFT is a turn based strategy game. You will get frustrated with the game. Everyone that has played it was frustrated at one point or another. But with it being so cheap now, I see no reason why you shouldn't buy it. And if you do get stuck for any reason, you have a wealth of knowledge in the people at these boards ready to help you.

Cinna
08-14-2003, 07:04 PM
...turn...based...strategy? Does it have the "fun-factor"?

Flying Mullet
08-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Most definitely. It's one of my favorite Final Fantasies.

m4tt
08-14-2003, 09:47 PM
It's my most hated Final Fantasy. I do not like it at all. It's way to hard and way to boring. I have tried to get into it, and each time (I've started 6 new games) I always die on the 3rd or 4th battle. I can't remember which one it was, but it's always the same place.

Outsider
08-14-2003, 11:22 PM
I don't think that FFTactics is hard... The thing is that other FF games are too easy. The only really hard fight is that one against Wiegraf/Velius

I guess you people should play a little more Phantasy Star, or Dragon Quest... These are what I call hard games...

Meow
08-15-2003, 03:46 AM
Actually, i thought most of the game was pretty easy. A few of the early battles are challenges, because you haven't had much by way of leveling up yet. But get past that, run around and do some random battling in, say, Chapter two, and you're golden through the entire game. i even thought the aforementioned Wiegraf/Velius fight (yes, even though it was already mentioned, it's a spoiler to me) was a breeze, what with auto-potion and Yell. yippers.

The real challenge in FFT is patience. It plays like an extremely advanced version of chess. Very paced and methodical; very strategic. And at times, VERY frustrating. If FF battles leave you snoozin,' don't even bother. A simple random encounter can easily take an hour. It isn't as slow as, say, Tactics Ogre for the GBA, but Turn-based strategy, and a bit of sadomasochism, still has to be your thing.

So anyway. In my opinion, someone who says this game is "Über-Hard!!" really just isn't down with the style of gameplay. It wasn't so much a challenge for me as it was a huge time investment. Especially about three-fourths of the way through the game, when Orlandu joins up with your party. Once you hit that point, it's all over but the cryin.'

Outsider
08-15-2003, 04:08 AM
Agreed. I couldn't put it in a better way.

Naos
08-15-2003, 08:43 AM
FFT AI = Junk

Movement of "enemy" units are usually predictable, and, in story fights they almost always stick to the exact same movement.

FFT has one of the greatest Story's. The job system was near perfect. Lots of extras considering the length of the game.

All in all, FFT ese da' Shiz, but, FFT ese uh Peice of Shiiiiizzz.

Dignified Pauper
08-16-2003, 10:10 PM
I guess you people should play a little more Phantasy Star, or Dragon Quest... These are what I call hard games...

i agree

The odd jobs and treasure hunting is a fun sidequest to pass time and make JP and Gold. The deep dungeon is a great sidequest. I reccommend getting it, as it isn't a hard game in all. It just takes time getting use to. It reminded me a slight bit of shining force the very first time i played it.