PDA

View Full Version : A few problems (could be msblast.exe related)

Yamaneko
08-15-2003, 02:54 AM
1. http://www.makofusion.com/ivanup/networkprob.jpg
What the heck does that mean and is there anything I could do to restore what was there before (without reformatting)?

2. For some reason the main link to go into Help and Support (Win XP Pro) won't open it up. When I go into Task Manager it shows up under processes. Now when I go into the Help folder in the WINDOWS directory and go into a .hlp file, this shows up: http://www.makofusion.com/ivanup/helpprob.jpg for agt040b.hlp. I’m mainly looking to be able to use Help and Support again.

3. Finally, msblast.exe shows up in the Startup tab in msconfig. How do I get rid of it from there? I've gotten rid of the worm from the rest of my computer using the guidance of the Symantec site.

Dr Unne
08-15-2003, 03:37 AM
There are a couple new incarnations of the worm now. Maybe you got a new one.

Killy
08-15-2003, 05:03 AM
You should be able to prevent MSblast from booting in msconfig. Then you should try those removal tools once again. If it fails, wait for new tools to be created.

For once, I am glad that I still use WinME. But I am going to upgrade as soon as the msblast "crisis" is solved.

Burtsplurt
08-15-2003, 09:33 AM
That writing is Finnish, if that's any help. At least I think it is. Maybe ask Nait/ Mik what it means? It might be useful if you know what the error message means.

Nait
08-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Yes, it indeed is Finnish. It seems to be a program/code comment:

"Shows in a cartoon-balloon a/the character's/figure's font-preferences/options."

Yamaneko
08-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Nait
"Shows in a cartoon-balloon a/the character's/figure's font-preferences/options."
Hmm... some of the other help files have this too (in English).

crono_logical
08-15-2003, 07:46 PM
I'd reformat and reinstall with an error1 like that, if my Windows suddenly couldn't load segments of itself and parts of it changed language :p

You mentioned msblast being mentioned in startup, so it means your computer was likely infected at one point, and you haven't finished cleaning it up completely if the virus no longer runs.

I also fail to see the big deal over reformatting/reinstalling. Wait, I do - I keep Windows on it's own partition and not with all my data which the average person seems to do :p

Yamaneko
08-16-2003, 02:29 AM
I'll reformat tomorrow. I need to know something before I do it though. Should I save the MS patch on a CD and have a firewall ready before I connect to the internet after I reformat (*has DSL*)? What other stuff should I do before connecting to the internet?