PDA

View Full Version : "I want to be your Canary"`

syun_ukiya
08-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Is there a play called "I want to be your Canary" aside fron the one featured in FFIX?

Big D
08-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Nope. In FFIX, it's said to be the work of a 'Lord Afon', a none-too-subtle tribute to Shakespeare.

As far as I know, the play's entirely imaginary. If not... then Square are headed for some fairly serious plagiarism trouble...

o_O
08-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Big D
Nope. In FFIX, it's said to be the work of a 'Lord Afon', a none-too-subtle tribute to Shakespeare.

Actually, the play was written by 'Lord Avon.' :p One of the Ragtime Mouse's questions is "The play 'I want to be your Canary' was written by Lord Afon. True or False?"
I had to get it wrong three or four times before it stuck. :p

Shayo
08-15-2003, 06:08 PM
i thought it resembled Romieo and JUlliette wut with the two being from different families ant the parents for bid them from dating and friends turnning on one another....

Wightraven
08-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Which is (guess what) yet another reference to Shakespeare! Fancy that.

Yeah, "I Want to Be Your Canary" is a crappier version of Romeo and Juliet (because no one wants to write a whole 'nother story to just put as a play within a story... well, they might, but they don't work at Square...) suited to the alternate world of FFXI.

Personally, I always liked the end where Zidane says that bit about "no cloud or squall shall hinder us" or something like that. Being that I'm not a fan of the aforementioned, it made me grin.