PDA

View Full Version : Starting Jobs and Advanced Jobs

Elias_Demens
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
After a few hours of research, I've come to understand a good bit of the job system and the job abilities. However, I am confused about one basic bit of the job system. From what I understand, everyone starts with one of the basic jobs(war, thf, mnk, etc), and later on picks up an Advanced job(rng, drk, sam). Are we able to be two advanced jobs? ie Ranger Dark knight, or Bard Ninja? I've been unable to find an answer to this thus far. If anyone would mind clearing this up for me, I'd much appreciate it.

Bahamut2000X
08-15-2003, 10:17 PM
You can have your main and sub both be a advanced class if you want. Although you'll have to complete the quests for both advanced classes before being able to use them like usual.

Krystic_WLA
08-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Can u have ur Advance job, then take ur original starting job as the sub?

...im asking cause i dont want my hard work on my original job go to waste just to get my advanced job. I hope u can have ur original job together with you Advanced job....

Bahamut2000X
08-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Yes you can. You can have any class as either main or sub.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
08-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Well I saw a thread here just the other day that said the oposite.....

It said that some Classes cannot be Sub classes to other classes

Such as A Dark Knight can not have a Ninja or Paliden Sub class.....Ect....

Its here somewhere....

Edit: Its Called "Job Combinations"

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34169

The info was found by Grand Lethal who isn't what id call "A Freaking Moron" So its safe to say its probably true.....

Lionx
08-17-2003, 02:38 PM
That is quite untrue as i can see, i see the BLM sub cannot be subbed by a WHM but i have a BLM sub. That list isnt right to me. Plus i see people with Bard/WAR jobs. There are no restrictions i think.

Jeristo
09-01-2003, 11:25 PM
I think that GL was just saying that those combinations worked well, not that they were the only ones you could actually combine.

Grand Lethal
09-02-2003, 01:39 AM
*nod*
those are combinations that work well when you are in a party with others. In beta its been a little different because of the limited people and advanced jobs. I am a 25 WHM with a 12 War Sub right now. In a mature server I'd be laughed at because with War as a sub I hold no bonuses that help me as a whm in a party (like extra MP, extra MND/SPIRIT), because in a pt I am no where near the front line.. I stand as far back as I can and still heal.. that way if the monster targets me, a warrior can taunt the monster away from me before I take a hit. I like the combo because I'm not a 2 hit Taru (as they call us) with War my defense is boosted and I have added hp, so I can take a beating and still heal ( I can take about 5 or 6 good hits, so gives people plenty of time to pull the monster away). However the more people you have playing, the more picky people get with combos.

example: A Paladin has amazing defence and good hp so they are a great tank... now suppose you sub whm so you have more mp and better spells. It works, but with all this hp and defence you want to be a human punching bag... this is hard to do when you can't pull a monster off of someone because A) you can't hit hard enough, and B) you can't taunt because you didn't sub Warrior. Therefor, people will pass you up for someone that has War subbed, or a War with PLD subbed...

Don't know if that helps, but you'll understand once you get in the game... its very political.. and you'd be surprised how quickly a reputation is developed... play nice and you'll be a king among men... screw people over and you will find the game a very cold and scary place.

project_mayhem
09-02-2003, 02:02 AM
what kinda bonuses do you get for having thief as a sub job

i wanna play a monk/thief

or possibly later a monk/ ninja

Lionx
09-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Mostly more gil drops and more AGIL and u hit more often. But you wont be a Teasure Hunter with the chests in caves because its subbed.

SubMatrix
09-27-2003, 04:50 AM
Ok, I have a few questions concerning the job system.

1. Is there any limit to the number of jobs you can have? I know that you can only actively have a primary job and a sub job at any one time, but say I pick Red Mage and Monk and my primary and sub jobs respectively, could I later drop Monk and take Thief as a sub job instead (after initally taking it as a primary job so that I could earn experience in it)?

2. If so, would I lose any levels that I had in Monk if I decide later to return to it, and if not then could I hypethetically "max" out all levels of every class in the game, keeping in mind that I could only be using two at any given time and the sub job being 1/2 of my primary job level?

I've read a lot of stuff saying that changing jobs is easy but I'm interested in the specifics and any penalties that might be involved. Thank you for any information.

Lionx
09-27-2003, 07:08 AM
1. Nope. As many as you want, and for adv jobs as long as u activate it with quest, yes.

2. Yes

Changing job is in mog house. Easy and no penalty.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
09-27-2003, 12:22 PM
but as you lvl in certain classes does it effect your stat growth?

Is there stat growth?......Amazingly I never thought to ask that sooner.

Grand Lethal
09-27-2003, 02:48 PM
stat growth is completely dependant on the main job and sub job you use (mostly main job). As you main job gorws, so do that stats that that job requires (ei HP for monk, MP for mages etc) and as far as I can tell its not random. a level 20/10 war/mnk taru will have the exact same stats as another war/mnk taru ha;fway across the world. only difference may be weapon skills depending on what they use, and weapon and armor modifiers, but that is it.
don't know if that clears it up for you or not, but I tried.

SubMatrix
09-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Wow, quick response, I posted around midnight last and woke up with 3 more posts =). I've still got a lot of questions about FFXI but don't want to go through the effort of tracking down the forum most related to my question nor do I want to start a bunch of new forums for each question, so are there any Beta testers out there that would like to volunteer to be my lackey in answering questions to this game? If so you can e-mail me at Transfigurating@aol.com or just leave me a message here. Thanx again for the help =)

Leighton