PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive... problems

MecaKane
08-17-2003, 04:42 PM
My hard drive is weird; if I'm running out of space it'll get extra space out of no where, or something. Like just now I was downloading FFVII with Bit Torrent and it was gonna take a long time, so I got the version that minimizes to the system tray(BT++) and at that point I only had 300mb left, so when I started that one up it acolated FFVII to a different place (I didn't know it'd do that) and it ran out of space and there was an error but as I was trying to delete the new files (it said they were still being used blah blah) I checked the free space on the hd, before I tried to delete them there was 47mb left and after I gave up and went to reboot there was 1.3gb left. So after I rebooted I deleted them thinking there'd be no change in the free space, cause something like that happened before (when I deleted a file and no space was freed up and extra space was given that time too) but then there was 2.4gb. @_@
Is there anyway to find out what files are being lost/missreported?

Also, I'm on XP and I'm trying to give my .avi files custom icons, I swiched thier program from WMP to the Divx player and the icon they have is just the default 'no program' icon.

crono_logical
08-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Could be either Windows cleanup emptying a very full Recycle Bin (another reason to avoid the recycle bin, makes you think there's a different amount of speace free than there really should be :p ), or possibly a virus, as far as space goes. Maybe run chkdsk on the drive from a command prompt would be useful too, to see if there are any errors on the disk.

As for icons, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types and find AVI in that list and change the icon there. :p

Yamaneko
08-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Doesn't XP have a tool that deletes files from your temporary folders when you're getting low on space?

EDIT: Yeah what cl said. :D

MecaKane
08-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Yah, the disk cleanup came up then, but there was only 40mb in the temorary internet files, and nothing in the recycle bin. ><

And I tried changing the icons from folder options many times, but I didn't think of the advansted button, for somereason. But I did this time, and it worked, yay.

m4tt
08-17-2003, 06:59 PM
I guess I could say I have that same problem. Or something similar. I've downloaded tons of files, installed plenty of games, and yet I've always had 200 gigs on my hard drive.

Yamaneko
08-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Gau
I guess I could say I have that same problem. Or something similar. I've downloaded tons of files, installed plenty of games, and yet I've always had 200 gigs on my hard drive.
Is everything running fine?

crono_logical
08-18-2003, 10:23 AM
There's also the TEMP folder that could get full too, not just temporary internet files.

m4tt
08-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Yamaneko
Is everything running fine?

Oops, forgot about this thread. :p

Yeah, everything seems fine.

MecaKane
08-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Yah, I forgot too.
It was norton antivirus 2003, it wasn't delteing any of my files, just leaving them there till I needed space.
I had just gotten it, so yah. >_>