PDA

View Full Version : What the ...... is this??

Xander
08-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Okay I just got the airship and decided I would go and capture monsters for the arena, so I went back to Besaid, nice, EASY Besaid to capture the monsters there.

I just got all THREE of them when I walked down a hill and some guy sets a "Dark Valefor" on me. It immediately does 9999 of damage and kills all my characters.

But this is..Besaid.. who the hell is this guy, why is he being so violent and how am I supposed to kill this thing?? I don't even know how I got to that place but I think I should avoid it next time :p

Any info on this? I haven't even heard or read about this happening? Right now I better go back and capture those monsters again..carefully this time :(

m4tt
08-17-2003, 05:50 PM
I have the American version, so all I know is that you've run into a Dark Aeon. Have fun!

MJN SEIFER
08-17-2003, 05:54 PM
There are Dark Aeons alover I think you should Level up to 99 and reak you're HP (Past 9999) And use Spells Like Ultima and Flare Also Build up Over Drives Tidus "Blitz Slash" should do Nicely!! also note That Valfore is in the air so Wakka should be on You're Team!!

Xander
08-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Ah..a dark aeon..I have heard that term before actually..so.. if I defeated this aeon would I get it to use for myself? Or not?

Is it possible to get HP above 9999? Do I need a special armour or weapon for that? (Sorry if that's offtopic)

I'm not sure if I will bother to challenge it again, unless I get a LOT more HP....may just avoid it. I am such a wimp :p

XeQtR
08-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Dark aeons are there just for the fighting, you won't aquire them, but they tend to drop armor with Ribbon on it, which stops EVERY status effect in the game (small excepts). Your HP can at maximum reach 99999, but to get it over 9999 you need the Break HP Limit ability on your armor. Your best bet is to win this from someone, like dark aeons :p

There are more dark aeons waiting for you, and dark valefor is the easiest of them. And besides, your HP isn't neccesarily the most important stat, strenght should always be maxed out (at 255). Your weapon can do 99999 damage with Break Damage Limit on it, in case you wondered. Hope that helps ;)

Xander
08-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Ooh thanks for the tips, yeah that helps a lot :D

Is there anyway to get this armour without fighting the aeon? Since I want the armour to fight the aeon, if the only way to get it is to fight the aeon then... :confused:

You say there are more dark aeons waiting, are these all optional fights? *hopes so*

But don't give me too many spoilers please... :thumb:

XeQtR
08-17-2003, 07:20 PM
If you want Ribbon armor, you customize with 99x Dark Matter. This is a pain in the ass to get, unless you are willing to spend tons of hours into doing the monster arena capture thing, where you'll get 99x of them. That's enough for ONE character. Ribbon isn't too neccesary for the first dark aeons.

All the dark aeons are optional, but since you say you don't want spoilers, I'm not gonna say where they are unless you tell me how far out in the game you are :)

Did i post any spoilers, since you warned about it? I'm sorry if i did..

Fredd
08-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I killed Dark Shiva and Dark Valefor at 6000HP on Auron, 3350HP on Tidus and 4000HP on Yuna :P
I killed them two with Yojimbos Zanmato!

They where very easy for me :)

XeQtR
08-17-2003, 07:35 PM
It's nothing to brag about when you Zanmato them. You can have 1 hp and still do that. If you are just gonna use Zanmato on them you might as well not beat them at all. The point of these extra bosses is to give an extra challenge to those who put time into developing their characters. Nuff said.

Xander
08-17-2003, 10:50 PM
XeQtR - No you didn't post any spoilers in the last post, I was just saying in case you did, since I know I'm asking for information but I also hate finding out too much before, or just feeling like I'm *cheating* you know?

So thanks for not telling me where they are, I don't want to know, I guess I will probably come across them and I can always reload and avoid them I guess :p

I do plan on doing a lot of the monster capture thing, I just beat the first boss that the guy created from the monsters at Besaid, man he just seemed to have a never ending amount of HP :whoa:

Anyway without getting off topic too much, I'm glad to hear they are optional I don't usually go for the biggest challenges in FF's *is scared of Weapons* ;)

So I may have a go if I do keep at this intense character development thing...Zanmoto that's the thing where Yojimbo instantly gets rid of them right? Hmm well that's one option I guess.

Yrkoon
08-18-2003, 12:35 AM
ya zanmato kills em out right i done it on dark valefor and dark bahamut.

i needed to get to some things but they guarded the places where the items i wanted were :)

killed the rest an penance with out using it tho :)

best armour seems to be break hp limit,auto haste,auto protect and ribbon :)

FifthElement
09-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Oh. Zanmato on Sin is pretty cowardly. I've killed all dark Aeons exceptfor dark yojimbo. he's hard

Maxico
09-16-2003, 08:43 PM
there is a point of using zanmato on them. THEY BLOCK THE BLOODY PATHS. I really want aurons final limit and I cant get it: cry: . and the mangus sisters are a pain in the ass too.

Cz
09-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Zanmato can't really be considered cheating. It's programmed into the game, so it's supposed to be used. What are we supposed to do, kill dingoes with it?

It is a lot more rewarding to kill them normally, of course. But it's going to take hours to gain enough strength.

Nait
09-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Zanmato the bastard into oblivion! That's what I did.

§håd0w
09-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Black Mage 121
Zanmato can't really be considered cheating. It's porgrammed into the game.

Not cheating, just cheap and the coward's way out. If you're anyone, you wuold have beaten them without Yojimbo.

Cz
09-18-2003, 07:05 PM
In every other FF game, bosses like the dark aeons were hidden options, a challenge to the player. In FFX, they're obstacles, designed to squeeze a few more hours of 'lifespan' out of you. If I'd wanted to fight them, I would have done it properly. But all they did was get in the way, so I used Zanmato.

NM
09-19-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm glad I found these forums. :D

I didn't know you could use Zanmato on the Dark Aeons. Now I should be able to get some Celestial Weapons. :)

Cz
09-19-2003, 08:14 PM
If you're looking for the celestial weapons, then I suggest you don't use Zanmato. It makes them sort of worthless.

Plus I think you can find the weapons, crests and sigils without fighting any dark aeons. So if you're looking for a nice challenge, find the weapons and fight them normally. If you're looking to get back into blocked areas, though, Zanmato 'em to the grave.

Pucca
09-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Ah, I hate it when I run into Dark Aeons- exactly the same thing happened to me when monster catching actually :cry: ... I thought, well hey, this must be a one off- THEN I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE REST OF THEM!:whoa: :eek: :whoa:
Especially the one where the sisters chase you.... urgh....:eep:

I have never beat a single dark aeon in my life!!! I haven't even tried..... well, seriously tried. They just seem so hard!!:( :(

I prefer completing the story to every fight, anyway! ;)

Keep on with those weapons and such, and on the point of Zanmato, I killed Omega with it without realising wtf it was:grr: - until Omega died:D - on my first turn. :eek: Lucky or cheat? I couldn't decide. :rolleyes2

crono_logical
09-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Dark Youjinbo is actually my favourite, since you can beat him as many times as you like instead of once only like the others, and he's relatively easy too, so plenty of nice items from those fights with him :p

NM
09-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Black Mage 121
If you're looking to get back into blocked areas, though, Zanmato 'em to the grave.

Thats why I wanna waste 'em. No way i'm gonna get past Dark Bahamut for that Sun Signal without using Zanmato. Or get back in some off Temples to do the trials again.

fallenangel_masamune
12-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Props to Masamune.

If you really need to use zanmato you shouldn't be on this site.

Viz
12-19-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't think people still understand why players are using Zanmato to get past the aeons - Dark Valefor blocks the path to Besaid Village, Dark Shiva blocks the path to her temple and Dark Bahamut blocks the path to where Yunalesca *was* and thus Tidus's Sun Sig. If you missed the destruction sphere chests first time around and you want to get Anima/Magus sisters (and obviously all players do), you have to kill the damn dark aeons that are in the way!

Now I have put 100 hours into the game and had a blast but to kill the dark aeons without Zanmato means coutless hours powerlevelling the chars. You may be a player that enjoys that which is just great, but many of us simply want to experience the extra aeons, play a little bit more and finish the game. In that case, blasting those dark aeons that are blocking the way using Zanmato is the only reasonable way for the non hardcore player.

Are Dark Aeons there for an extra challenge? Yes. Does bragging about killing them by using Zanmato make sense? No. But does killing them using it to get them the hell out of the way so you can do other things in the game make sense when you don't want to be a levelling junkie? Er yes.

Xander
12-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Woah this thread is still alive? Hehe..

Viz: I think that most people do understand why you could use Zanmato for the reasons you mentioned... but "obviously all players do" I don't agree with this. I never got Anima or the Magus Sisters and it didn't bother me.

Another way of looking at it, is - you missed the spheres, so it's too late, you could just carry on and finish the game. Then start a new game and remember to get those spheres! ;)

Anyway I'm not saying you should do that, I'm just saying there's no right or wrong about using Zanmato, it's a matter of choice, and how you want to complete the game. If you just want to get those aeons then there's no reason why you shouldn't use Zanmato on the dark aeons if you want to, as you say Viz.

I think the problem most people have with it, is as you say when people say "Ohhh I killed them it was so easy just use Zanmato". Well of course it's easy but if your going to kill them just to say you killed them, why bother killing them at all?

Zanmato was put in the game on purpose so it's there to be used if anyone wants to use it. *shrug*

Nait
12-20-2003, 08:10 PM
People who dare not use Zanmato are cowards of the worst sort.

blue_midget192
12-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by fallenangel_masamune
Props to Masamune.

If you really need to use zanmato you shouldn't be on this site.

ok wats that spose to mean? this is an online comunity for people that like final fantasy, not an FF comp!

§håd0w
12-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Nait
People who dare not use Zanmato are cowards of the worst sort.

Originally posted by blue_midget192
ok wats that spose to mean? this is an online comunity for people that like final fantasy, not an FF comp!

True to both... Zanmato is just the easy way out against Dark Aeons. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. I used it all the time when faced with fiends when I needed to level up. And if that is cheap then I guess Odin is cheap as well, since his attack is usually one hit kill.

As for me... I'm off to the Outerbanks in about 20 minutes, so I'll be gone for a week or so. Later...

Phantom_Dream
12-23-2003, 02:17 PM
I used Zanmato against Two D aeons because I don't want to wait with lovely Anima. Magus Siters were just fun to get after that though ;)

Lord Xehanort
12-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Hey guys, WTF!? I got the Sun Crest from Yunalesca's lair without fighting any Dark Aeons. I forgot the Destruction Sphere in Besaid and went back without fighting a Dark Aeon. And I went back to Zanarkand to get it's Destruction Sphere and still no Dark Aeon. So, what the hell are you talking about!?

P.S. The Sun Sigil is obtained by the Chocobo Race in the Calm Lands.

Viz
12-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Sounds like you have the US version, so that you are missing out on those extra additions in the Japanese/International/Uk versions along with some other things such as 'Ribbon' etc. Oh well :)

FifthElement
12-23-2003, 10:29 PM
I got problems with the only one left... Yojimbo...

Flare_Star
12-23-2003, 10:48 PM
you can get the sun sigil straight after beating yunalesca. s'wat i did anyways.

I see zanmato as a reward for having enough gil. But i am half and half on the teams "for" and "against" zanmato. The move is a way to get the b**ch outta the way, but you dont get the squashy feeling like you've just beaten a really hard monster.

But also training so much means you totally stroll through the rest of the game and makes the final boss seem like a battle between a dingo and a Behemoth King.

§håd0w
12-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Dark Aeons are only in the PAL and INT. versions of FFX (European and Japanese respectively.) So if you're playing the stateside release, you won't encounter them. Square thought that us dumb U.S. residents wouldn't be able to beat the game if they added the Dark Aeons...

Just a thought.

Ares123
12-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by masamune1287
Square thought that us dumb U.S. residents wouldn't be able to beat the game if they added the Dark Aeons...

Just a thought.

Actually, by the time they had finished the PAL version, they had finished the International version, so they decided to add them in anyway. Truth. :D

§håd0w
12-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Yea, I know why they are in there, but I'm just making fun of how dumb us U.S. residents can be at times.

Phantom_Dream
12-29-2003, 05:36 PM
You obviously HAVe no Dakr Aeons in your game. Sorry pal, you have either American or Japanese version of the game. no Dark Aeons. Be happy soemwhat.

§håd0w
12-29-2003, 06:08 PM
I have American AND Japanese versions. As well as American AND Japanesse PS2s. I also have the Intl. version in Japanese...

Hence, I have Dark Aeons.