PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or are the trios better than the actual party?

TidaRalique
08-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Okay, so I've asked what people think of the Galbadia Trio times before and also they like the trio more than Squall and his party. Now, FFX-2 is announced and people don't like the idea of a sequel, but they'd rather have a prequel featuring, well, the.... Bevelle (?) Trio (Auron, Braska and Jecht). And guess what? People like them more than Tidus and his party.

Hmmm, so what do you think? Are the trios (and those in other games) better than the actual party?

Flying Mullet
08-18-2003, 07:13 PM
I think that part of the reason for this is that the side-cast is often made to be more flamboyant, secretive, witty, etc... because the developers only have a short period of time in the story to get their personalities across, where-as the regular cast has a lot of story to develop, so they aren't as "flashy". I imagine that the side-cast people would not be as "cool" if they had a full story-line to themselves, as their story would end up with slow points, odd plot twists and the like.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-18-2003, 10:27 PM
True, but I think there's more to it than that. Being an advocate for prequels, I AM more interested in the lives of the secondary characters who didn' t get a lot of screen time in the original game. However, it isn't because I think that say, Laguna and co. are cooler or more exciting than Squall and his contemporaries. It is rather the point that after playing FF8, I've already spent an entire game hearing Squall's story, so why would I want to hear more about him when a new game could instead explore the lives of other characters who were loose ends in the original narrative? Squall's plotline is basically wrapped up in the end: *very vauge* he saves the world, gets the girl, and acquires the ability to smile. We also pretty much found everything out about about his past - and other than his parentage, there really aren't any surprises there. So why continue? Why not talk about the past, the first sorceress war, Laguna, Edea, Julia, the parents of all these kids that supposedly died? Why throw those characters away? Sure, once we find out about them, they won't seem quite so interesting - because we will have found out. Their histories will no longer be a mystery left to our imaginations but have a story attached. But isn't that better than re-hashing old characters?