PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the merger of Squaresoft and Enix was a good idea?

DarkRogue
08-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Just wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Vermachtnis
08-19-2003, 02:54 AM
You know, honostly I never heard of Enix before the merger.

Magus
08-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Me Neither, wut good game did they make ?

IamTidus
08-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Well Enix made the Dragon Warrior series, and I think that Square and Enix worked together on Chrono Trigger too. They did more but I can't think.

The Man
08-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Omni Legacy
You know, honostly I never heard of Enix before the merger. Blasphemy!

There's a list of Enix's games somewhere in this thread (http://forum.fools-gold.org/showthread.php?threadid=164), which is also worth a few laughs.

Sephex
08-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I don't see why people are against this. The merger has potential for real cool games. And like it or not, they had to merge or else both companies would of been dead right now.

Sefie1999AD
08-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Sephex
I don't see why people are against this. The merger has potential for real cool games. And like it or not, they had to merge or else both companies would of been dead right now.

What do you mean both companies would have been dead right now? I thought they were in an excellent financial state. After FF: TSW, Sony had invested at least $125,000,000 on Square's stocks and FFX had sold over 5 million copies. Each copy costs about $60-70, so that's over $300,000,000 of profit. For Enix, I'd say their economy was also pretty good seeing as they could afford to buy Squaresoft.

Anyway, I think this merger is a good idea. Two Japanese RPG giant companies joining to make excellent games. Chrono Trigger was an excellent example of how these two can make great games together.

Sephex
08-21-2003, 10:27 PM
I thought that the companies had to merge because of the crappy economy in Japan right now.

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Certainly nothing bad can come from this. There's a good chance this will get Square out of the funk they've been in for the past five years.

The Man
08-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
Each copy costs about $60-70Small nitpick, but I’ve seen copies of FFX over here for as low as $50. Sounds like you Europeans are getting ripped off. :o

The economy is in an all around crappy state, I’m led to believe, at the moment, although it seems to be recovering somewhat as of late. I’d get into blaming various political leaders but that’d no doubt spark an unwelcome debate that I don’t particularly care to get into right now anyway =P

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Regardless of the current economy, Square was doing pretty well. The TSW fiasco really didnt matter much after FFX's success. Enix is a wonderful company, and they make great RPGs, such as Star Ocean. Putting the Square think tank together with Enix's think tank has got to be the best idea ever, in my opinion. Of course, only time will tell, but I think this could lead to a lot of really really cool games.

And the prices of games has not increased over in America, I dont know about elsewhere. Typically, when the economy is bad, they lower prices a bit to stimulate sales. For example, if only one person will buy the game at $60, five will buy it when it's ten dollars cheaper. At least, that's what I learned in my high school economics class.

Sefie1999AD
08-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by The Man
Small nitpick, but I’ve seen copies of FFX over here for as low as $50. Sounds like you Europeans are getting ripped off. :o

Yeah, the price of FFX is at around $40-60 now even in Europe, but when FFX had just come out, the game cost about $70. And that's when it sold millions of copies almost straight away. Thus, I think it's reliable and accurate enough to count Square's profit like I did. *wins* xD

Originally posted by Sephex
I thought that the companies had to merge because of the crappy economy in Japan right now.

I think they merged because they thought it would be the best way to compete against other RPG-making companies. Especially US companies. Square has sold more games in USA and PAL regions than Enix, while Enix is selling slightly more than Square in Japan. When combined, Square Enix will sell their games really well all around the world: Japan, USA and PAL regions (Europe and Australia).

edczxcvbnm
08-22-2003, 05:06 PM
I think it is a good thing. Considering that Enix doesn't actually MAKE games. They are a publisher and the teams who make games don't have to publish the games under them if they don't want to. Look at Dragon Warrior 8. Completely different team is making that game for Enix. Same people who made Dark Cloud 1 and 2 are making it.

Since square was pretty much all in house they have a slew of development teams. But after that Spirits Within Blunder...yeah. Square was in a pickle.

It doesn't matter that they teamed up because I don't really care for either of their major series that much. I like their off titles like Chrono, Parasite Eve or Star Ocean.

Haveing said all of that my favorite RPG maker as of now in Namco. Xenosaga and "Tales of" are enough to keep me happy. I can't wait for Tales of Symphonia. The game can't get over here in the states fast enough.

DarkRogue
08-22-2003, 10:17 PM
I love gamestop! Final Fantasy X $20.00 (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=280193)

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 10:53 PM
I'll love gamestop when they get Suikoden II in, damn it!

And yes, Tales of Symphonia looks pretty f'in sweet.

edczxcvbnm
08-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Kenshin IV
And yes, Tales of Symphonia looks pretty f'in sweet.

Heck yeah it looks sweet. The tales games have never had a great story(at least the 2 I played) but this one looks hopeful in that department and now the battle system moves into 3d?!?!? Screw you Star Ocean! This is where it is at!

Mr. Graves
08-25-2003, 06:44 PM
The merger is a good thing, I'm sure. Square and Enix are bad good RPG makers, and both can develop. Enix wasn't that big of a company stateside, and never even heard of Enix until someone suggest I check out the Dragon Warrior/Quest series. They rock, as does FF.

Deandre
10-16-2003, 09:54 AM
I started crying out of joy when I heard that they were gonna merge, since my two favourite games of all times are from them!

(FF7 from Square, Star ocean2 from Enix)

The Man
10-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Kenshin IV
I'll love gamestop when they get Suikoden II in, damn it!www.dvdboxoffice.com has it for a reasonable price ($65 Canadian, as compared to Amazon's ludicrous $100 American).

01chapmanh
03-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Enix were a rather large company before they joined with square, they made games such as Mischief makers on the N64 and Dragon Warrior.... So with square joining up, wot can go wrong?:D Especially seeing as already they've together made sum of the best FFs around. e.g. FFX-2 and Crystal Chronicles etc. Anyone who thinks it was a bad cross is wrong.

Flying Mullet
03-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Let sleeping threads lie.

No need to let this thread lie if the discussion is going to continue. >:O ~Proto

Chronopolis
03-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Sqaure+Enix=Gay!

No comments.Its a fact!!:mad:

Kawaii Ryûkishi
03-20-2004, 08:41 PM
This is what happens when we show mercy, Proto.