PDA

View Full Version : That whole thing with Vivi's name

Phil
08-19-2003, 03:31 PM
OKay, now I hav heard many names for Vivi
1) Vivi Orniter
2) Vivi Ortunata
3) That freaky black dude

Now, I just wanna know, which last name IS IT?!
The confused masses need to know. Also, I would like to know what vivi's name means. I looked it up, and it said "Vivit ; Latin for "wants to live"". Which, considering the fact that his race is dying, would make lagitimate sense. Does anybody know for sure? Also, as a side note, I met a woman at Best Buy the other day, named Vivi. She was a young japanese girl. I said to her "Hey i like your name", and she started laughing. She knew what i was talking abut
:D Met anybody named Vivi recently?

Roogle
08-19-2003, 03:37 PM
In the Japanese version, Vivi's name was VIVI—probably the Roman numerals for '66' or something. At least, that's what I've heard. I've not checked this story out myself.

The name Vivi is common, though. Vivian is a girl's name, and I guess people would call 'em Vivi or something...

Jebus
08-19-2003, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure about the Japanese release, but in the American one, his last name is Orniter.

MagicKnight Locke
08-19-2003, 10:45 PM
őouch now i got to call vivi freaky black dude,it suits him well kinda

Kurohime
08-20-2003, 12:23 AM
The Japanese name is "Bibi." When romanized, it was "VIVI," but if it were actually supposed to be the roman numerals, it probably wouldn't have been written with the japanese charaters "bi-bi." It would have been actually written in roman as "VIVI."

Considering Vivi never says his last name, it's probably just a trivial thing, anyway. ;) In all the versions I've seen (check your manuals), it's "Orunitia." I've also seen it as "Orunetier," though.

ShadyMilkman
08-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Thank you!! I mean, come on people!! It is written in big black letters in that lil book that comes with the game. Anybody with half a brain could just open it up and look..... I hate stupid people!!!!:rolleyes2

Phil
08-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by ShadyMilkman
Thank you!! I mean, come on people!! It is written in big black letters in that lil book that comes with the game. Anybody with half a brain could just open it up and look..... I hate stupid people!!!!:rolleyes2

Well, depending on the translation from Jap to American, its different. Maybe try thinking before you flame :D

Celes
08-21-2003, 04:05 AM
Yes, Shadymilkman, you can get your point across WITHOUT being rude or insulting. Anyway, I have an FF9 art book, and it says Vivi's last name is Orunitia. I think Vivi is a cool name, especially if it means "to live". ;)

Big D
08-21-2003, 06:03 AM
*Scowls at ShadyMilkman*

Incidentally, Vivi is called 'Bibi' not only in the original Japanese, but also in the French translation. Perhaps it was changed to 'Vivi' for the English-speaking market, simply because 'Bibi' sounds a little infantile to our ears?

His surname (Oruntia/Ornitier/whatever it is in your region) is a bit of a mystery, in reality as well as in the game: I'm guessing it was Quan's surname, although the Qu seem to have names only beginning with 'Q' - Quina Quen, Quale, etc. However, Quina is the only Qu whose surname we actually know for sure, so it's possible that other Qu have different letters at the front of their surnames. Just a theory...

Breine
08-21-2003, 02:35 PM
In Denmark Vivi is a girls name... :)

ShadyMilkman
08-22-2003, 12:30 AM
You misunderstand me. When I am "rude and insulting".... I'm just joking. I know that there are Jap translation junk... Maybe if my humor was more.....humorous... you would understand better. I say just open your booklet. The name in there is what you should call him. And ummmm... why bother worrying about it? Most last names in FF are pointless, but have little messages in them i.e.: Cloud Strife, Leonhart which you could easily se as Lionheart if you weren't looking close... ya know, stuff like that. Once again, let me apologize. Didn't mean to offend anyone, ya know... oh and I took one of those tests that tell you which FF8 character should be... I was Headmaster Cid......O_O....ooookay. Yu should try those. fun stuff, ya know? I sound like feakin' Raijin. lol Well, I'm babbling so... till next time friends, neighbors, and those who would live the exact same life had I never been born. cant beat my logic, eh?

Phil
08-22-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by ShadyMilkman
You misunderstand me. When I am "rude and insulting".... I'm just joking.

Oh..... uh.... sorry about that then...... :sweat:

Shoyku
08-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Roogle
...probably the Roman numerals for '66' or something.
The Roman numerals for 66 are actually LXVI.

Flare_Star
08-22-2003, 10:26 PM
ok maybe im goin over a couple of thiongs people said but....

VIVI when taken apart is VI VI which in roman numerals is 6 6 which would make sense because everyone else of his kind is Mr 435 or Mr 58 etc...

that would make vivi mr 66!

gosh im sooo clever.....

Phil
08-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Flare_Star
ok maybe im goin over a couple of thiongs people said but....

VIVI when taken apart is VI VI which in roman numerals is 6 6 which would make sense because everyone else of his kind is Mr 435 or Mr 58 etc...

that would make vivi mr 66!

gosh im sooo clever.....

I thought Vivi was the prototype, therefore making him Mr. 1, like Frau from Austin Powers. I dont think the VIVI 66 thing is true. I know for a fact his first name comes from the latin word "Vivit", which means "wants to live", and considering the fact that his race is dying, it would make lagitimate sense.

ShadyMilkman
08-22-2003, 11:25 PM
Wow. Now that we know all these things, we are left with one question. Why do they work so darn hard on the name? Vivit.... I'd have never thought of that. I jsut thought he was a retro Mage.... like from the Old School FFs.... ::amazed::

The Man
08-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Just a little nitpick: His last name is actually spelled "Ornitier" in the instruction booklet, not "Orniter." =P But yes, his name can be translated in a number of different ways.

Wolhay
08-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Breine
In Denmark Vivi is a girls name...
That is why I named him Vivo (which also is a Swedish foodchain) since Vivi obviously is a male or at least has something similar to a male willy which makes him pretty male.

The next time I play I might name him Vyvyan.

elemental-force
08-28-2003, 04:02 AM
i think i will just save time and name him freaky little black dude