PDA

View Full Version : Newbie/Birthday threads...

Ø
08-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Just a general pondering here, feel free to disagree with me, banish me, whatever... but I'm starting to think that there ought to be a whole new sub-forum for these kind of threads to make newbies feel welcome and birthday people feel special :D Lots of other Forum sites do it, including my native forum (UKAN).

My reasoning? well... I know it's nice to welcome people to the boards when they're new, or wish someone happy birthday, but am I the only one who's starting to find them a little annoying? I mean, they can't really be discussed and apart from the few people who say something mad and random to liven them up, people more or less repeat themselves throughout the whole thread. So... yeah... what do you think? Separate forum? or am I just mad :rolleyes2

Roogle
08-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Since this is kind of like feedback, I'll just move it in there, 'kay?

Shoyku
08-20-2003, 02:14 PM
I can agree with you here, I just try to not bother with those threads most of the time anymore. I wouldn't mind a sub-forum in which I wouldn't have to bother seeing them anymore. This would also mean no more disguised birthday threads, which would also be rather beneficial for me.

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2003, 02:18 PM
I like the idea. I enjoy birthday threads especially, and newbie threads are okay, and in a way kind of beneficial because it gives the newbie a good idea of the forum in general, and what sort of people s/he will be spending his/her time with. A seperate forum would be nice, perhaps a sub-forum of General Chat. And it would be especially nice for the people who dont like to see them or participate in them.

Dr Unne
08-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Pretty sure this has been suggested approximately 753 billion times already.

m4tt
08-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Pretty sure this has been suggested approximately 753 billion times already.

And ever time it's been shot down, as you can see.

Loony BoB
08-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Often Newbie threads have topics inside them aswell, and a lot of people would miss out on contributing to those. Also, having a newbie forum would only further encourage people to come and post the same thing as the people before them. One thing I noticed from other forums which had newbie forums is that all the newbie threads were pretty much the same - here in EoFF, 50% of newbie threads have their own unique little twist.

There's something about having the newbie threads in General Chat / EoEO that makes it a lot more friendly, welcoming, comfortable and just nice for the newbies. And everyone was a newbie at one point, and I'm pretty confident that most people will agree when I say that the newbie days in EoFF have a kind of 'magic' to them, and I think that that is just one of the reasons for it.

Oh, and 'no'. =P

We should really make a FAQ for the Feedback Forum that explains the things that will never happen (including: Tech Forum, Newbie Forum, Events Forum (ie, leaving, birthday, coming back, etc), Food Forum, Anime Forum, seperate Music, TV, Film and Sport Forums, Sig Preview hacks, Forum Mods, Header/Footer hacks ... uhm... what else was there? Hrmm...

Dr Unne
08-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Spam forum.

Loony BoB
08-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Ooh, right. Good one. I always miss one of them.

Citizen Bleys
08-20-2003, 05:47 PM
I still want a Tech forum. Help isn't as good in the sack as ShinraTech or AnimeOnline's Tech Zone.

PhoenixAsh
08-20-2003, 08:15 PM
How bout adding a rule for birthday threads so they have to have 'Birthday' in the the title in brackets. It does get a little annoying opening up threads with vague titles to find another birthday thread.

I'd suggest something similar for hello threads but I don't think many people would remember to do it.

The Man
08-20-2003, 09:42 PM
I don't think anyone would NOTICE the rule, to be honest.

And yes, I agree with birthday thread titles having "[Birthday]" in brackets, I find the disguised thread titles annoying myself

Burtsplurt
08-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Yeah, some kind of clue as to who's birthday it is woudn't go amiss as well. I'd usually only look at the thread if it's someone I like (which is most people, so ignore me).

If a new forum does appear (doesn't matter what it is) would it replace that hotbed of conversation, The Study Forum?

Flying Mullet
08-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Burtsplurt
If a new forum does appear (doesn't matter what it is) would it replace that hotbed of conversation, The Study Forum?
The study forum is probably dead right now because a lot of people are on summer holidays. It will be interesting to see how the forum is in October, and especially around Christmas time when a lot of people have finals and papers due.

Burtsplurt
08-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
The study forum is probably dead right now because a lot of people are on summer holidays. It will be interesting to see how the forum is in October, and especially around Christmas time when a lot of people have finals and papers due.

Nope, I'm guessing it's still going to be dead. :) Unless a Final Fantasy-loving professor signs up, in which case it might get a little more popular.

eestlinc
08-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
... uhm... what else was there? Hrmm...

FF: Mystic Quest forum, ORPG forum, diary forum, Xenogears forum, del murder forum, bruckner forum.

Meow
08-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Spam forum.

AKA General Chat?

Yamaneko
08-20-2003, 10:50 PM
No more forums please.

Loony BoB
08-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Bleys: Then rename the Help Forum. 90% of the stuff in there could go into a Tech Forum anyway.

Aaron/Burt: I rename threads "Happy Birthday, [username]" when I see misleading birthday threads because they piss me off too. =)

Citizen Bleys
08-21-2003, 01:39 AM
So I'm not the only one who's done it :)

m4tt
08-21-2003, 02:07 AM
Study Hall is on the chopping block. :p

Del Murder
08-21-2003, 02:21 AM
I guess you could get rid of the Recognized Members Forum too, the stuff posted in there is mostly gossip anyway.

Meow
08-21-2003, 02:48 AM
When you think about it, "help forum" is a general enough title that people could post academic questions there. It'd haze that forum's general purpose a bit, but if anyone's feeling paricularly ForumKillHappy, merging 'Study Hall' into 'help' gets my vote. Yep.

Big D
08-21-2003, 05:38 AM
Yeah, a generally consolidated 'questions and answers' forum would have the same use as the Study Hall and Help forum. All the 'big' questions can get asked (except for personal stuf which, of course, goes in EoEO), yet there are still fewer forums cluttering the place up.:)

PhoenixAsh
08-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Aaron/Burt: I rename threads "Happy Birthday, [username]" when I see misleading birthday threads because they piss me off too. =) - Loony BoB

Ahem, I brought it up :P.

Anyway, much as a Study Hall/ Help forum sounds plausable, is it actually neccessary? If there aren't any new forums allowed why bother getting rid of one?

Loony BoB
08-21-2003, 09:21 AM
It would be benefitial to those who post in the Study Hall to have their questions posted in places besides the Study Hall. Oddly enough.

Ash: Sorry. Two names were hard enough to remember, three is just impossible! ;_;" *hides*

Meow
08-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Loony BoB
It would be benefitial to those who post in the Study Hall to have their questions posted in places besides the Study Hall. Oddly enough.

Which brings us full circle to the original theme of this thread, since it's also beneficial to newbies/birthday celebrants to post in places besides a (hypothetical) newbie/birthday forum. Yay!

*waits for Study Hall to be baleeted*