PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 problems...

-N-
08-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Problem: My parents' computer runs Win98. We upgraded to Win98 SE a long time ago, but it was hit by a virus and as a result, I had to reinstall the OS, which was just regular Win98. Problem is, Windows Update still thinks our computer runs Win98 SE, but I don't. I don't know where I can obtain a SE upgrade now - or if this mess can even be cleared up to begin with. I tried installing XP Pro, but there's this activation something-or-another that only allows me to install it on one computer - which is my laptop. Other than "just install Linux" (which really isn't an option since my parents aren't the Linux-type), any suggestions? On either how to install XP Pro or to get SE?

crono_logical
08-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Well, there's always the download option :p

How did you upgrade to Win98 SE in the first place though? You couldn't even buy regular Win98 anymore when I got my PC two years ago, only Win98 SE was about in the local shops.

-N-
08-21-2003, 09:00 PM
That's the thing - I can't find a place to download SE.

We got this PC in 1998 or so, with Win98. I upgraded to SE through Microsoft's site around 2000 or so. The virus attacked around 2001, and I had to reinstall Win98 without SE, and I couldn't find SE on Microsoft's site anymore. I don't even remember how I did it in the first place - I think my dad managed it, but now he doesn't remember either...

Dr Unne
08-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Is this what you need: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/servicepacks/Windows/98/default.asp

Or this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;w98

Just so you know, pretty soon you won't be able to get any support at all for 98, since MS plans to drop all support for it within a few years. Gotta get people buying their new crap, after all. Dish out $200 to buy anothe license of XP if you need to. That's the price of using Windows, enjoy. If you happen to need to get a new computer to handle the bloatedness of XP, enjoy that too. :)

Burtsplurt
08-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by princeofdarknez
I tried installing XP Pro, but there's this activation something-or-another that only allows me to install it on one computer - which is my laptop.

How does MS know that you've installed it on two computers? I've got one version of XP Home on my computer and my family's computer, and it seems to be fine. I just chose to activate by 'phone on the second install (free call), so they couldn't do any of that auto-detecting nonsense.

Silver Dragon
08-30-2003, 02:10 AM
You could try deleteing the the folder Windows update
and that my fix it.:cool:

Silver Dragon
08-30-2003, 02:17 AM
well what happens is when you install the key is wrote into the OS and when it hits microsoft's server it seens two installs of the same key it shuts down.