PDA

View Full Version : E'erybody cries.

ShadyMilkman
08-22-2003, 03:19 AM
What part of FFVIII almost made you cry??? I am a teenage guy. I'll try to act tough, but this game got to me, especially when Rinoa was floating through space and her lips turn purple and I honest to goodness thought she was gonna die. Go ahead and laugh, but I'm sure there was something that got to you too. This game had too much emotion in it. Just admit it... I did, and my therapist will be proud lol.

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Nothing. I'm pretty emotional, too. The end of X made be bawl, I cried when VI ended (then again I was like... 9), etc etc. I have to care about the characters and have some sort of emotional attachment to them to be able to have something make me cry. However, 'Eyes on Me' was a pretty moving song. Faye Wong's voice carried a lot of emotion, and that got to me a few times.

Kenshin IV
08-22-2003, 05:37 AM
Eight was aboot as emotional as a sack of horse manure.

Big D
08-22-2003, 07:51 AM
I was actually quite tense and anxious at the end of VIII, right 'till the very end when they FINALLY revealed that Squall wasn't dead. That hug and kiss on the balcony was a nice scene, regardless of what I might say about that romance as a whole. The 'Eyes on Me' scene, too, was quite charming. The flashback with Laguna, during the ending, was revealing and also fairly moving, for me.

~*Crystal*~
08-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Well, I never really cried, but there were a few moments which got to me.

Like in the ending when Squall starts hallucinating about Rinoa and then comes this incredible scene where everything turns grey and Squall faints with a tear in his eyes.

Another emotional scene for me was when Squall saves Rinoa from the sorceress memorial. I dunno, I really liked it...

m4tt
08-22-2003, 01:36 PM
I cried when I realized that Squall was a huge dope and that I had wasted my money. ;_;

ShadyMilkman
08-22-2003, 09:35 PM
I figured I'd get some answrs like that. But, oh well. I didn't actually cry myself. But I get into the game... I sorta.... live it. So when someone may die...it feels like my friend dying. So, thats just me. Maybe I'm the only one...hmmm?

Outsider
08-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Gau
I cried when I realized that Squall was a huge dope and that I had wasted my money. ;_;

I would feel the same way... Thank god it wasn't mine. But I can say that it was a massive waste of my time.

Mikage Aki
08-23-2003, 02:00 AM
I cried during the ending when

Laguna proposed to Raine and the scene switched to Raine's tombstone

I really felt sad for Laguna.
Both of his loved ones died-Raine & Julia

Meow
08-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Julia died? i suppose i kinda-sorta remember that... Man, now i have to go back and replay the game. Troubling to think how much of my lifetime Final Fantasies Seven through Nine alone will eventually consume, and i haven't even played One through Six. Not to mention Ten...

TheAbominatrix
08-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by ShadyMilkman
I figured I'd get some answrs like that. But, oh well. I didn't actually cry myself. But I get into the game... I sorta.... live it. So when someone may die...it feels like my friend dying. So, thats just me. Maybe I'm the only one...hmmm?

It's not just you. I felt the same way about other games, but VIII was just to shallow for a lot of people, me included.

Anubos
08-24-2003, 04:45 AM
There was I guess you could say "sweet" moments, but im not an emotional person so none of them made me wanna cry, I mean I was into the game and into the characters like I was really there, but no tear jerkers for me.

Celes
08-24-2003, 07:05 AM
I got very emotional at certain parts of the game. Just like a good book or a movie, ff8 pulled you in and made you feel like you were a part of it.

Mr. Graves
08-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I don't cry easily, at all. That said, I've never cried over something I've seen in a video game.

ChibiInuYasha
08-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Well VIII didn't touch me near as much as X but there were a few moments the made me kinda misty eyed.

Maryn
08-25-2003, 11:12 AM
I cried only because it was over and because Square are such toe-rags they'll never continue it. :(

...unless there's a FF8-2, of course. I know some of you people will rue the day, but I'm hoping against hope.

zacks_clone
08-25-2003, 05:37 PM
i havent completed the game yet...but there was times i wanted to cry in frustration- when adel didnt kill rino or when edea(seifer maybe?canr emember) put rinoa ti 'sleep' and she wasnt dead!...but,i did feel rather touched at the orphanage flashback

Pucca
08-25-2003, 06:19 PM
I felt touched at the orphanage flashback, although it did all seem a bit unbelievable. But it's Final Fantasy here!! I never really cried at the game, at bits like the end where Laguna is visiting Raines grave , I just felt happy for them, that they did get the chance to marry . At the scene inside the Ragnarok, and also in space, it is quite high on the emotion stakes, but really, it isn't sad sad, until after all the romance and Rinoa is taken away. The only place I felt my chest heaving a teensy bit was when Squall goes to rescue Rinoa- such a lovely FMV, and it shows Squall does have a heart under all that coldness... poor guy... the best thing about FF8 is that is has a lovely, perfectly cheesy, happy ending where you find out loads of happy conclusions. I wanted it to go on a bit, though, didn't you? I wanted Laguna and Squall to have a little talk... oh well, that may have spoiled the cheery, mellow atmosphere they had going. :choc:

Lena
08-30-2003, 01:00 AM
FF8 is really cool, it was a great experience. I agree with the idea of Squall and Laguna having a little conversation, but in the end I guess it was a fine ending.
I cried a little, because I had lots of homework and wasn´t able to finish the game, so my boyfriend finished it for me and we saw the ending together...

Leia
08-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Blanco Meow
Julia died? i suppose i kinda-sorta remember that... Man, now i have to go back and replay the game. Troubling to think how much of my lifetime Final Fantasies Seven through Nine alone will eventually consume, and i haven't even played One through Six. Not to mention Ten...
Yes, Julia died at the age of 28 in a car accident before Rinoa was 5 and I agree that a scene with Laguna and Squall wouldn't have gone amiss. I think that's why people still weren't sure that Laguna was his father so it would have been good to see them acknowledge that but as Pucca said it might have spoiled the ending's feel.

Kami
09-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Leia
Yes, Julia died at the age of 28 in a car accident before Rinoa was 5
i dont remember the game telling me that... how are you so sure?

Leia
09-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Kami
i dont remember the game telling me that... how are you so sure?
It tells you somewhere I can't remember! *beats head off computer desk to try and think*

Mr. Graves
09-06-2003, 11:17 PM
I think she died giving birth to Squall.

Big D
09-06-2003, 11:54 PM
No, Raine died shortly after giving birth to Squall. Julia gave birth to Rinoa and had nothing whatsoever to do with Squall.

Julia's fate is detailed in the Tutorial, under the 'Eyes on Me' heading I believe.

Leia
09-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Julia's fate is detailed in the Tutorial, under the 'Eyes on Me' heading I believe.
*head is now very bruised* That was where I found out about Julia... :D

Kami
09-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Big D Julia's fate is detailed in the Tutorial, under the 'Eyes on Me' heading I believe.

There's a eyes on me section in the tutorials part???? Why didn't i know about this? *smacks hand on forehead*

Rand Al'Tor
09-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Hmm... I liked it, but I didn't actually cry at any time... I think. I might have when Laguna is talking to his dying companions in pandora Though the scene with FFVII spoiler Seto, Red's father gets me every time. It's that damn song.

Origin
09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
i turned into a living fountaine in the rinoa-in-space-scene :( :cry: :crying: :boohoo:

Wightraven
09-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Well, as I don't really care when people die, Rinoa almost dying didn't bother me. The ending was more happy and lighthearted than anything else, so that didn't get me, but the scene on the bridge, where Eyes on Me was playing... that got to me. Music's a powerful beast, I must say. Then again, I cry at the drop of a hat...

ShadyMilkman
04-30-2004, 01:28 AM
WHOA! Just had a moment and realized how close it was that Squall and Rinoa could have been like brother and sister...good thing everythign went how it did... if they were related, that would make it kinda sick, huh?

bEoWuLfX
04-30-2004, 03:29 AM
I cried when Rhinoa was in space, but mostly it was from the boredom of watching her drift around. Why? Why did it have to last 10 minutes. :cry:

Polaris
04-30-2004, 01:31 PM
The end, at the Ragnorak, at the orphanage, when I started the game, again, in the beggining, when Irvine said "If this is the castle, I wounder how her face looks like!", I was alomost dying in that part!!!

DocFrance
04-30-2004, 03:50 PM
What part of FFVIII almost made you cry??? I am a teenage guy. I'll try to act tough, but this game got to me, especially when Rinoa was floating through space and her lips turn purple and I honest to goodness thought she was gonna die. Go ahead and laugh, but I'm sure there was something that got to you too. This game had too much emotion in it. Just admit it... I did, and my therapist will be proud lol. Hey, I cried during the same exact scene! Except, I cried when I realized that she couldn't die, no matter how many times you fail to save her.

Lord Xehanort
04-30-2004, 08:21 PM
I am a teenage male as well. The part with Rinoa floating in space, sitting on Squall's lap, Rinoa getting locked in the Sorceress Memorial... I hate Rinoa, she's too 'girly'. but she made me cry.

TasteyPies
04-30-2004, 10:13 PM
The only piece of entertainment thats ever made me cry was a book titled "That was then this is now" by S.E. Hinton

Im not realy emotional...

Rusty
05-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Lets hear it for emotional moments!!! *Garfield*

:D

Draupnir2005
05-02-2004, 12:29 AM
How can you cry over FF8? I admit, I came close to crying at the end, where Squall lived! Squall should have died!

So lemme get this straight, Rinoa is Raines child and Squall is Julias?

Del Murder
05-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Other way around, kiddo.

Draupnir2005
05-02-2004, 01:44 AM
But, that's like total incest! EWWW! Anyway, how do we know this? Were does it state tat in the game? Huh? HUH!? *eyes bulge*

bEoWuLfX
05-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Raine + Laguna = Squall

General Carraway + Julia = Rhinoa

There is no incest and obviously you have not played the game...

Rusty
05-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Get with the times draupnir2005 :D Joking :P

Draupnir2005
05-02-2004, 11:52 AM
There is no incest and obviously you have not played the game...

*cries* I like sooooooo have. Just not for a year or so. I never even knew Squall was evil dudes baby! Mainly because it never says that in the game. HOW CAN YOU BE SO MEAN TO ME *wails*

Rostum
05-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Evil dudes baby? What are you on about?

Mo-Nercy
05-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Draupnir2005, maybe you should play the game again. And pay attention to the text and what happens on screen this time ;)

Draupnir2005
05-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Laguna is the Evil dude! I HATE LAGUNA! HE MUST DIE...after Tifa.*glares at the two evil ones*

And I will play through again, If I am told just what to look for! I got no hints of that at all! Or was I supposed to catch onto that, when Rinoa was floating in space for hours? Oh and can I congratulate the person who drew that scene? He did not die of boredom! I mean, If I was bored watching it, how bored was the artist drawing it?

Mo-Nercy
05-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Draupnir2005, you have come up with a way to give yourself a custom title without having to earn it first. I wish I thought of that. *is jealous*

Rusty
05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
How come Laguna is evil?

Lord Xehanort
05-02-2004, 05:43 PM
b/c he has no clue what he is talking about. :eep:

I will admit though, I have played the game twice through... the only evidence of Squall being the son of Laguna are the Moombas saying 'Laguna!' as they lick his blood in the prison. And the only evidence of Rinoa being the daughter of Julia is the answer to asking Kiros 'How's Julia?' in Winhill as Laguna. Small stuff that could be overlooked. (I overlooked them both in my first playthrough)

Draupnir2005
05-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Whats a custom title?

Laguna is Evil because he sucks! I'm not saying he is evil as in evil evil, but evil as in lame character evil.(thats a lot of times I wrote evil there!)

I have only ever played Final Fantasy Eight once. The thought of watching the scene of Rinoa floating in space chills me!

zacks_clone
05-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Whats a custom title?

Laguna is Evil because he sucks! I'm not saying he is evil as in evil evil, but evil as in lame character evil.(thats a lot of times I wrote evil there!)

I have only ever played Final Fantasy Eight once. The thought of watching the scene of Rinoa floating in space chills me!

WHAT?!Laguna LAME?! Are you nuts!?!?!?

But,I must agree. The space bit does make me want to chuck the game. :upsidedow

Rusty
05-03-2004, 05:01 AM
Laguna is NOT Lame :P I loved that bit in the game where Rinoa is floating in space..alomost made me cry! I had tears in my eyes....it was beautiful.

Draupnir2005
05-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Laguna is NOT Lame :P I loved that bit in the game where Rinoa is floating in space..alomost made me cry! I had tears in my eyes....it was beautiful.

I can see how watching someone breathing is interesting. It's right up there with watching paint dry!

And Laguna is lame! Maybe I think that because of Ellone, and the flashback things, and how lame those were. I mean can you imagine how they planned out this game?

Executive: "Lets bore them! We will make them watch someone float around in space, breathing!"
Yes Man:" And make them make Laguna run up and down a town! Oh-Oh-Oh and make them make him watch him beuing LAME with Julia"

This was never a fun game... :mad2: AND NO-ONE HAS TOLD ME WHAT A CUSTOM TITLE IS! *runs arount ranting while hittting head against wall*

SeeDRankLou
05-03-2004, 07:15 PM
I can see how watching someone breathing is interesting. It's right up there with watching paint dry!

And Laguna is lame! Maybe I think that because of Ellone, and the flashback things, and how lame those were. I mean can you imagine how they planned out this game?

Executive: "Lets bore them! We will make them watch someone float around in space, breathing!"
Yes Man:" And make them make Laguna run up and down a town! Oh-Oh-Oh and make them make him watch him beuing LAME with Julia"

This was never a fun game... :mad2: AND NO-ONE HAS TOLD ME WHAT A CUSTOM TITLE IS! *runs arount ranting while hittting head against wall*

You aren't watching her breathe, you're watching her die. That scene is excessively sad. The build-up for that scene was just perfect, and they choose a very good music selection. I had a tear in my eye in that scene as well.

Laguana is so far from lame. He's a big dork (or a moron in the words of Squall), but that just makes him funny, far from lame. He was one of the few sources of comic relief in this game. This game was fun, you just had to find the fun beneath it's excessively serious overtones.

From what I understand, a custom title is a title that members can give themselves. For example, one_winged_angel has the phrase "Bringer of Havoc" under his/her name, that is a custom title. People think that you have the custom title "Got Mage?", but if they look a little closer they will see that "Got Mage?" is actually a part of your avatar, so you don't have a custom title. (Sorry is someone else already pointed that out)

And to stay on topic, I did shed a few tears in this game, not as much as FFX, but still a few. I had tears in my eyes when Rinoa was floating through space and I thought she was going to die and that really sad violin music was playing. That scene was constructed very well. I had tears in my eyes when Squall and Rinoa were in the Ragnarok and Eyes on Me was playing. I got a little misty-eyed when during the Sorceress Memorial scene. And I shed a few tears when Squall past out/died/whatever-he-did and Rinoa found him (at the end).

Del Murder
05-04-2004, 02:57 AM
Custom titles are the bit of words below a user's name and above their avatar. You are allowed to add your own after being a member for 8 months. So stick around and play nice and you'll get one.

Kirobaito
05-04-2004, 03:38 AM
I cried when I played it.*

*That was an attempt to reverse the assumed answer to the question, "What's the best part about this game?" with the answer "The End, because it ended." The humorous result that was intended to come with this answer in fact never occurred because of the extreme complicatedness of the attempted reversal. If you are continuing to read this font, then you really need to get a life.

Iceglow
05-04-2004, 02:16 PM
hmm the garden to garden battle when Squall tries to encourage the cadets to fight on even though they've been over powered and kicked the crap out of by the G-army that got me but then I think that was something to do with the music I beleive it was the oath? in that scene and it gets me every time I listen to it.

Rinoa in space didn't make me cry but it did make me think "Crap afrter all that she's not gonna make it, gee thats gonna hurt Squall"

also the ending that made me wipe back the tears a lot squall in the wastelands ect.

however X and VII made me sound like a little girl when they got me emotional

TasteyPies
05-08-2004, 08:10 PM
I have yet to play a video game that makes me cry, how can you shed even 1 tear in ff8?! its silly!