PDA

View Full Version : traditions broken

alcatraz-ette
08-22-2003, 07:32 AM
ok folks, count with me here. what traditions were broken in this game?

a non-controllable airship
voices
a theme with no translated version
having a SEQUEL

is there any i missed?

TheAbominatrix
08-22-2003, 07:34 AM
No traditional map movement. ie: You didnt leave a town, become bigger than the town, and run around on a map to get from place to place. Which I liked, by the way. Added a certain since of realism to the game.

§håd0w
08-23-2003, 10:13 PM
other than chocobo and the ferry, there were only 2 means of transportation: walking and airship. others u had access to cars, subs, broken planes, multiple airships, rediculously sweet chocobos. u couldnt even get a different colored chocobo like u could in 7 and 9.

speaking of the world map. it made alot of sense to give it to you at the beginning. so when u were at baaj temple you could easily find it once u have access to the airship. i made the mistake of selling mine as soon as i reached besaid. but it saves some time, so u know exactly where to search when ur on the airship

Xander
08-24-2003, 01:28 AM
I don't think you can really call voices a broken tradition, they weren't used in previous games because of the platform almost certainly, the lack of technology etc for them on a PSone or certainly SNES game.

And anyway I think voices is a good addition and definately they should have done it now they had advanced technology of the Playstation 2 for FFX. For me it made battles more interesting and everything more realistic and I just generally enjoyed the voices.

It wasn't really a "tradition" to not have voices, I think the technology just stopped them.

Anyway it's good to break traditions sometimes, to me it made the game different, new and refreshing.

alcatraz-ette
08-24-2003, 11:42 PM
i guess you have a point. i'm not saying that voices are bad, i'm just pointing out that it's something that wasn't in the previous games.

but about the voices, admit it. the english voices could have been better.

Xander
08-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Yes they could have been better but for the most part they didn't bother me, perfection isn't always the best thing, I didn't like Yuna's voice very much but I still would rather they had voices than not at all.
The games are advancing, graphics made the characters a lot more human and realistic and voices added a lot to that too, even the english ones. Characters like Lulu, Wakka and Auron's personalities were conveyed so much by their voices, I feel.

Sin Harvest
08-25-2003, 08:02 AM
the music when you finish the game!!!
for those who have finished VIII its the music that plays when theres the hand held camera thing going.
its been in 7,8 and 9.