PDA

View Full Version : FLAMING SONS OF...!

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
I am now getting over 100 virusmail messages to my @eyesonff.com and @gamers-alliance.com email addresses each and every single day. If I disable Norton, these virus mail programs crash Eudora, forcing me to re-start downloading all my email messages from scratch (and yes, it re-downloads all of the virusmail messages), and if I leave Norton on, it puts up a pop-up confirmation for EVERY BLOODY EMAIL with a virus in it, which is all of them except maybe for two reported posts from EoFF. For this reason, it takes me over 20 minutes to download my email every day.

Does anybody know how to set up a killfile so that these messages will just be deleted on-server, and so I can block each email that send me virus mail? ((Sorry, BoB and Roogle, but I get over 100x the virusmail messages from you guys than legitimate ones, so you can use PMs when it's really you and not some 13-year-old script kiddie in Hong Kong))

Dr Unne
08-22-2003, 05:41 PM
To delete emails on the server, wouldn't you have to configure the server itself? Unless the host has some program that lets you set local config files of some sort. No idea. Maybe you should email the hosts and tell them to start filtering things on their side, since it is costing them tons of bandwidth too to keep sending viruses all over the place.

One thing I used to do is set a spam filter rule in whatever client I happened to be using that auto-deleted all emails over a certain size, say 100k, since anything that big was likely to be a virus. If you can set up a rule to auto-delete all files with attachments of a certain kind that'd be better. Does norton scan emails right after they download, or right after they're saved into a folder somewhere? If it scans as they download, before they're even written to disk, then that won't work, I guess.

Another solution I had to resort to for the email from my FF1 site for a while (due to viruses) is using webmail. They have a webmail interface, which does give you access to the emails while they're still on the server, so you can hand-delete the emails without downloading them. If they have webmail and it's sophisticated enough, maybe you can even set a spam filter in there.

Sorry for the customary linux babble, but right now I run fetchmail as a cron job every 5 minutes, which pipes to procmail, which pipes to spamassassin, and then I can auto-forward spam to /dev/null or ~/.maildir/spam or wherever I want. Handling a few emails every 5 minutes is better than 400 emails all at once. Any way you could have your computer fetch and filter emails constantly like that?

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Well, it's my @eyesonff.com address, so I'll ask GSN :p

I also know that my address is being used to deliver viruses, since I get mailer-daemon notifications that messages which I didn't send, containing virus attachments, were refused. Let's see if they can't configure the mail server so that it refuses to forward email unless it comes from my home IP, which hasn't changed in several months.

Dr Unne
08-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Maybe you got a virus yourself and the virus is emailing everyone know you. As it's apparently doing from Roogle's and BoB's computers.

Endless
08-26-2003, 10:02 AM
For the @eyesonff.com, use the webpage; it can also blacklist if I remember right.
If your tga one uses a similar system, do the same.

Raistlin
08-27-2003, 03:02 AM
On your @gamers-alliance.com email too? I get an average of about three or four emails a week on mine. :P

Of course, you might be talking about the admin/webmaster one...so it would make a <i>bit</i> more sense.