PDA

View Full Version : Swords or Sorcery?

Xander
08-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Ok, so magic and fighting make a great mix, but lets just say you had to choose at the beginning of your FF game to either use just magic or just weapons..what would you choose?

And say why (cos one word replies are so boring :eep: )

I love magic it rocks but I have to say that if I had to choose one it would be swords. Because swords rock. Look at Cloud's :love:
Also it just feels great when you get really powerful and run up to your enemy and slash them with this great big sword. It's quicker and just more fun :D Plus I'd rather have the advantage of stronger characters with more health than weak magic users (If you've ever played Balders Gate you may know how annoying it is having a mage who keeps being killed cos they start off with such low health...)

Yep fighters all the way for me. :D

§håd0w
08-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Swords. But I also like being able to use Sword Magic (FFIX) with Steiner. It added a lot more damage, and sometimes status changes.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-24-2003, 07:02 AM
Magic, more growth potential in the long run, plus more overall power.

If you've ever played Baldur's Gate II, you'll know how important having a good mage or two is.

Xander
08-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Yeah your right it is probably important in the long run, I'm not a big fan of Baldurs Gate my dad plays them all the time though but I just played a bit of the way through and my mage kept dying cos it had like 4hp :p Just prefer fighters for the pure strength though getting right in there and kicking butt :D

Shoyku
08-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Magic is impressive, but now, MINSC leads! SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!

Actually, in Baldur's Gate 2, Celestial Fury was *so* overpowered I could've pretty much soloed the game with my main character. I didn't really find magic to be all that useful. I was pretty much what Drizzt was in the original Baldur's Gate.

Vermachtnis
08-24-2003, 04:14 PM
I'll take swords over pretty much anything.

Divina
08-24-2003, 05:01 PM
I pick magic.

Sure, magical characters are mostly weak at the start. But they do get quite powerful as their levels go up. I find it nice to just sit back at a distance and pummel my enemy with spells.

the blitzer
08-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Magic as it's more helpfull than physical attacks. For both damage and healing. Although in FF1 I find physical attacks more useful. So for FF1 I'd go for weapons, while the others magic.

PhoenixAsh
08-24-2003, 10:42 PM
Swords. Faster, no MP use, Limit Breaks kick ass.

I only ever really use magic early in a game when I'm struggling to hack through waves of enemies and need to clear a lot of them quickly. Soon as my HP can take a beating and I can still relax I just go to attack.

Inuyasha23
08-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Swords easy. theres just something thats makes me happy when i see a big sword being whiped around like its nothing right before it plunges into an enemies gut, ahhh warms the heart doesent it.

Tetsiga Tetsiga TETSIGA!!!!!!!!

Flying Mullet
08-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Magic

The reason I say that is because if I had the choice of starting a 4 Fighter or a 4 Black Mage party on FFI I would choose the Black Mage party more often.

Pancaek
08-26-2003, 01:47 AM
Assuming it's a new FF game, I'd have to see what the magic system was like. If it's like FF1 where you can only cast 3 spells before having to waste 30 gil at the inn, then I'd take swords. If I had near-unlimited MP or could summon for free (like in Golden Sun), then I'd take magic. I voted for swords, though, because they're so reliable.

BG-57
08-26-2003, 01:43 PM
I voted sorcery, but it's a close call.

Magic is more versitile, and can generally affect a large group of enemies/allies, while most physical weapons can only strike one opponent at a time. While items can supplement spells, only a few items can affect all enemies/allies at the same time.

Weapons are much faster than spellcasting. And the more powerful the spells, generally, the longer the casting time. Worst of all are enchanted weapons (like the Pearl Lance in FFVI and the Holy Lance in FFT), which do both physical and spell attacks combined, so they take forever to use in combat.

I prefer using physical attacks in most random encounters, while saving my spells for boss fights.