PDA

View Full Version : PS2 vs. PC

Flying Mullet
08-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know of any benefits to playing FFXI on the PS2 over the PC or vide-versa?

The reason I ask this is I was thinking about Everquest. I know that when the Luclin expansion was released, it had a whole new character mapping piece installed that gave enhanced graphics. I also know that a lot of older computers could no longer play Everquest eventually because of this and other updates to the game. I'm wondering if the same will happen to FFXI on the PS2. While I can get a really nice computer or uprade my comptuer so that it will play today's and future games for many years to come, after a while the PS2 will be dated(as is the PSX, N64, Saturn, etc...)

I just wonder what will happen to FFXI in the future. Will there come a point when Square wants to upgrade the overall quality of the game, and it can only be played on a PS3 or will they do like Sony in the sense that they will release a FFXI-2, kinda like Everquest 2?

Spatvark
08-25-2003, 03:38 PM
well, I'd imagine that FFXI wil be tailored to work on the PS2 first and foremost since that's gonna be the main way PlayOnline is going to make money (and let's face it, they need it desperately), and teh PC version, as you've probably already realised, will be playing second-fiddle to the console.

This of course means that while lots of PC's may suffer from lag due to insufficient hardware or poor connections, the PS2 should always run perfectly (yeah right!).

In the future, the way I see it is that any tech updates to FFXI will be made for next-gen Sony consoles since that's the only way they could keep improving the quality. However, I don't think that they'll do anything of the sort as FFXI is engineered for the PS2 first and foremost and they'll want it to ALWAYS be able to run on that, so I think that discussion was somewhat pointless =P

FiragO
08-25-2003, 03:52 PM
ermmm actually the main way playonline makes their money right now is through their other games that are mainly on pc, and through their affiliates. pc's will always be upgradable every six months, and if u upgrade every six months it should be fairly cheap. systems come out once every three years or more. so if your pc has better graphics processors than the ps2 guess which will look and run better. and whether its ps2 or pc, they both connect to a server the same way, 56k or broadband. thats what connects you to the server, not playonline, that just finds servers. so i think the pc version would be a best bet, because it will be cheaper and faster in the long run, and you will pretty much always get better results

Inuyasha23
08-25-2003, 04:08 PM
How much can really update it.

we've come a long way since the legendary pong, and the great pac-man, but can they really make games that make gta3 and ffx look like that to future gamers?
how far can games go without making them so real its dangerous? am i the only one who thinks this? am i such an idiot that i believe we can only go so far? then what happens if we cant make them better? i think a better question would be not how are they going to improve it but after so long can they? What will the
future of games be. as a person who plans to play games untill i die or am in a coma i want to know.

Inuyasha23
08-25-2003, 04:09 PM
i relize this stament has nothing to do with the thread and i apologize.

FiragO
08-25-2003, 04:14 PM
virtual reality that is set off just by thinking it, a chip inserted into your brain that lets you play whenever you want, it rests your body when you are not playing and any movement you think is a electrical pulse in your brain which is how you control it, every hair follicle, peice of skin, dust molecule in air, and blade of grass will be composed of a million polygons each. Since we can now do numerical feats we never dreamed of the chip will enhance itself evern more by using 100% of our brain power as a processor, and since our brain makes electricity, there is no need for an outside power unit. Well at least thats what i think, sounds freaky as heII

FiragO
08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
oops neither does mine, me apoligize for that and double posting

Spatvark
08-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by FiragO
ermmm actually the main way playonline makes their money

and you've already lost since PlayOnline isn't making money, it's LOSING money =P

Oh, and both of you, knock off the double-posting; just coz' this forum seems to get less mod attention doesn't mean you can do it anyway -_-

Noah
08-25-2003, 10:53 PM
All I can say is it's easier playing with a controller than hitting keys on a keyboard (Remeber you can use a keyboard with the PS2). Everything else is basically the same.

project_mayhem
08-27-2003, 07:00 PM
from what i've heard..... the pc version is ahrd to play with out getting a ps2 type controller for it.......
and since the entire game is based off the ps2 hard ware regardless of how good your computer is it will be about the same graphics could be a little bit smoother..... but thats about it........ id say unlesss you already have a nice computer then ps2 would be better and cheaper......

Flying Mullet
08-27-2003, 07:13 PM
I understand that right now the game is made with the PS2 in mind, but I'm wondering about the future, not the present. What happens when Square decides to overhaul the graphics in the game and just make everything look a whole lot cooler and the PS2's hardware can't handle the new graphics and such? Will they release a FFXI-2 for the PS3 and continue to support FFXI on PS2 or will they drop it all together like a bad habit? This is what I'm worried about. Square is bound by the hardware of the PS2 and what will they do when they need to upgrade FFXI so that it can stay current with the times?

Krystic_WLA
08-27-2003, 10:58 PM
FFXI-2? wtf?

Maybe they will have there games go to PC as well just like FFVII and FFVIII...but they will always have it with sony....PS2 or PS3

Lionx
08-28-2003, 01:14 AM
I play PC, no problems here really. Its just personal preference and i find no prob.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
08-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Personally the reason I got the PC version is because I didn't own a PS2 OR a comp good enuf to play FFXI

I figured out that id spend almost as much getting a PS2 and getting the HDD and Game and Everything than i did on this new comp....

And then i decieded that I can use the comp for other things and also IF/when I stop playing FFXI my comp is still useful but my PS2 would not be...

i90east
09-03-2003, 06:59 AM
If you live alone and have a huge TV in your living room, buy the PS2 version. Otherwise, get the PC version.

Rostum
09-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Well, if you have a powerfull enough computer it's defenatly going to be better graphics (and no, I'm not just pulling that out of my butt), seeing as the PC is far superior than PS2 and other consoles.

I heard an argument about having to use the keyboard to play. Well you can actually buy an adapter to use your PS2 controller on the PC. So there's that problem sorted out.

Either way I'm getting the PC version, reasons are that I am getting a beafed up computer for Christmas and also because that way I can import it from America.

FiragO
09-03-2003, 07:49 PM
wow mojo where u live, and it makes no difference which is sposed to have better controls. I play counterstrike and other shooter games and rpg's, but i can't play them worth crap on the ps2 or anything because it's just more difficult for me. So its not a matter of which you think is easier to play, its what ur used too

Rostum
09-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by FiragO
wow mojo where u live, and it makes no difference which is sposed to have better controls. I play counterstrike and other shooter games and rpg's, but i can't play them worth crap on the ps2 or anything because it's just more difficult for me. So its not a matter of which you think is easier to play, its what ur used too

I live in Australia, so it's either wait a couple more years or import the PC version. I agree that it is what you are used to, I was just stating that someone said you had to use the keyboard and I said you can actually get an adapter. Of course it's preference (as in what you like and are used to), which for me it's a bit of both.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
09-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Personaly I could use both but I think playing it on a keyboard and mouse will make my reaction time faster..... Just seems more urgent...

Plus I tend to fall asleep playing Playstation....
But never Computer.....

Must be that I have to sit up at my comp desk rather than lie down and play playstation....