PDA

View Full Version : SMHUDTAHDIWTSDLURAOTFFXWM

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Please, avoid the spoilers as I've only just got the game.

1) Do you get to actually walk freely across the world map, or is this game entirely done through a fixed route? Just a yes/no answer is fine, I don't need to know when, so long as I am able to in the future.

2) How long is this game, relative to games such as FFVII / FFVIII?

That's all, thanks in advance.

Breine
08-26-2003, 01:52 PM
1) No.

2) It's long, but not as long as the previous games such as FF7 and FF8.

Hope U could use my answers... :)

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 02:28 PM
...I really screwed myself over on that first question, sorry. I just realised that I asked two questions rather than one, meaning that I don't get the answer I'm after. Let me rephrase it so I know what you mean. xD

Which of the following is correct?
You get to actually walk freely across the world map
This game entirely done through a fixed route.

Thanks. Sorry for the stupid wording. xD

TheAbominatrix
08-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Correct: The game entirely done through a fixed route.

There is no 'world map', persay. There is a map that shows your progress, but that's it. You get to move about on this route and all, but you dont really get to wander around freely like in the previous FF installments.

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
Aww, crap. :( I loved roamin' around. *disappointed*

Oh well. Now that both of my questions have been answered I guess this can be the

Super Mega Hyper Ultra Discussion Thread About How Disappointing It Was That Squaresoft Didn't Let Us Roam Around On The Final Fantasy X World Map.

SMHUDTAHDIWTSDLURAOTFFXWM for short. *edits thread title*

TheAbominatrix
08-26-2003, 02:52 PM
I dunno, it didnt bother me too much. Personally, I prefered it slightly just because you dont suddenly step outside of a town, become twice the size of all surrounding towns and trees, and walk around.

There's still things to find and plenty of hidden places, but not so much of a 'wandering' aspect.

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Yeah, it's just something that I always liked about RPG's - being able to explore the world, the wind in your hair, the sun on your face, the sand between your toes, the the sounds of the wild all around you...

Shoyku
08-26-2003, 04:02 PM
What game were you playing?

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Final Fantasy VII.

...uhm... like... on the beach! Yeah. That'd work.

Flying Mullet
08-26-2003, 04:17 PM
But then there's big dudes in little speedo's in that beach. :eek:

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Not at the beach I was at. :) But back on topic, am I the only one who finds that the FF worlds are really cool and nice to wander around on? =[

Flying Mullet
08-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Not at all, I like that open-endedness. That's probably one of the reasons I love FFVI so much. I love the fact that the game is very non-linear in the WOR and you can do things whenver you want pretty much and there's so much wandering and exploring involved.

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 04:57 PM
That's where I feel that FFX is lacking. I don't feel like I'm doing anything besides pressing the right buttons and watching the story progress - I'm pretty sure I've had zero influence on the story so far, and I've not really been able to move around more than one specific setting at a time (so far - I've only just got to the part where Yuna goes off to get married to that Seymour fella, and we get attacked by the Al Bhed again).

I really enjoyed FFVII because of the world map, too. All the different vehicles and of course the chocobos made it all the more better. Here's hoping that they bring back the world map for FFXII. Whenever that comes out.

It feels like FFX is more like a movie that I have to press the right buttons to keep going. But it's a good movie, so that's okay. ;)

Flying Mullet
08-26-2003, 05:01 PM
I've had the feeling that for the last four or so Final Fantasies that Square is so concerned about putting our the best eye-candy in a game to date that they make the game play more like a movie than an RPG. A lot of the feeling of exploring an adventuring has been slowly pulled out of the games. Even in FFIX you only get pieces of the world opened to you at a time, and it seems that when you can search the world over finally, one of the only benefits is that you can find all of the Chocobo treasure chests.

TheAbominatrix
08-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Eh, I like it both. It's a nice change for once, but I do hope the normal movements on the map return. What would be really fun is a combonation of the two... a realistic transition to the map... eh its hard to describe what I'm picturing in my mind.

Edit: And I agree with Mullet on this eye-candy stuff. The story, the deeper characters, they vary since VII. Some games are better, some worse, but none really measure up to the pre-PSX games.

Loony BoB
08-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Final Fantasy VII was the big one for Squaresoft, that's where they really hit into the household-name territory. After that, they had the money and whatnot to pour into the ol' visuals and stuff, and ever since they've just been making things on the name of the series rather than the quality of the game itself. Don't get me wrong, they're still great - but the storyline of FFVII was the last of it's kind, that was the last time they really put an interesting, deeper set of characters along with a story that could be rushed and slowed as you pleased - and you were making the decisions, you were the personality.

I don't know about you guys, but I think Cloud was the last main character where you could really have much control of the personality. I haven't played FFIX, but I can definitely say that Squall was mostly pre-decided in how he acted, and Tidus is pretty much completely pre-decided. The amount of times you get to choose what you say is decreasing, and that is only contributing more so to the fact that you're watching and not playing the character.

...still, so long as the story is interesting, I'll play. *bites his lip* >_>;;

Leia
08-26-2003, 05:40 PM
The story's brill in my opinion!... enjoy! :D

Xander
08-26-2003, 07:24 PM
I think there's still a good bit of exploring to do even with the linear route, finding chests, secret places, etc, and when you get the airship too you can find a few different places.

I think it's just the way the story runs, and because of Yuna's pilgramage, she has to go to certain temples to get those aeons, I don't think it would run so well if you could just wander anywhere.

Yeah it is a bit movie-ish but I just found it so much fun, hope you do too, just give it a chance anyways :)

Breine
08-26-2003, 07:30 PM
I love to run around on the worldmap too, so yeah it's a small downside that you can't do it in FF10. But, I've become used to it and now I don't think it's too bad at all...

Yes, FF10 is kinda a mixture between a movie and a game. It's totally fine with me but I still prefer the FF games where you actually play more than watch. for example FF7, FF8 and FF9.

The fact that there's no worldmap in the game makes it less possible to explore the world and search for treassures and secrets, don't get me wrong there are a lot of secrets in FF10 but in my opinon there could have been more... FF10 is still a great game though :)

Kenshin IV
08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
I would have prefered a world map, but it didn't really bother me that much. The game still had a ton of extra stuff to do, so it's not like it was lacking in mini-games or extras because of it.
To answer one of the earlier questions in this thread: The game can be long if you do every single thing there is to do in the game. If you play it without doing any extras, you can beat the game in 20-30 hours, easily. Still, I know people who've been playing the game for over 100 trying to get all the spheres and whatnot. The question is weither or not you care to do all that pointless crap. Personally, I didn't.

Nait
08-27-2003, 06:13 PM
It would be interesting to see something of a compromise regarding this - a HUGE world-map, and the tinies of stickfigures representing your party, with better transitions.

I don't remember much of FFVII, but in what way were you able to control Cloud's personality?

§håd0w
08-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Let us warn wou about the airship too... no more shall be spoken

Ryan
08-28-2003, 01:40 AM
The linear path was for the most part just a refreshing change for me. I for one had more fun feeling like i was actally travelling through the continent rather than be able to take just a few steps and be across it. The only thing that really got on my nerves was the limitations of the paths. Every road seemed like you were boarded and herded down that road by rocks, tress, etc. Even the calm lands, the most open place in the game had you nearly completely surrounded by cliffs that obstructed your view of the world i think Spira could have been.

Loony BoB
08-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Nait
I don't remember much of FFVII, but in what way were you able to control Cloud's personality?

You had more control. The amount of times that you can choose what you want to say in FFVII... well, almost everything you say has an option, come to think of it. Tidus, on the other hand... well, y'no. =P He's quite the pre-set character. I may aswell be playing as Lulu, really.

Nait
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Maybe more dialogue options do make the game, but I doubt it's an option for a dubbed game like FFX. :|

(tries to make a response about the other PSX FFs, but can't be arse after all).

Like them anyway.

FifthElement
09-16-2003, 05:56 PM
1) No

2) it's long: 35+ hrs

§håd0w
09-16-2003, 09:56 PM
I beat it in 21 hours with ALL of the subquests and hidden Aeons. Isn't that hard or long.

Kindo
09-17-2003, 11:21 AM
I hate the linearity and the lack of a world map in FFX. Worst game in the series (not counting MQ which I haven't played yet).

§håd0w
09-17-2003, 09:16 PM
MQ was awesome man. It lets you interact with the enviroment more than ANY other FF game.

Maxico
09-18-2003, 05:43 PM
You do have a little bit of control over the story but you dont really notice it. depending on who you are nice to in the game changes some scenes and his ultimate limit break. most notably the skidoo scene in malincia whoever you've been nice to joins you.

Radje
09-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Loved the game personally.

(BoB, refer to custom title) *mock glare*