PDA

View Full Version : The Vanish Mantle????

Despotus
08-29-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm a FFTactics fanatic with hundreds of hours of my life spent unravelling the mysteries of this game. Over the years, I've found, poached, and stolen every item that exists in the Tactics world...save for one. I doubt it's very existance because I've never found a clue as to it's whereabouts. Many FF websites (including this one) mention it under the category of "mantles" in the accessories list, and I hear it is quite useful when employed in a trick to get high-level ninjas to throw powerful weapons right into your hands. If you have ever found the Vanish Mantle, please let me in on the secret of it's location in the game. I'd be more than happy to swap advice on any tricks you've wanted to try. -- D.
:mad:

Pancaek
08-29-2003, 10:35 PM
It's on the top of the tallest mountain in Germinas Peak. I think it's one of the squares in the middle, but nothing's stopping you from looking around if you aren't getting beaten too badly. The alternative item is an Ether of some kind, so if you get that, reset.

Mwork
08-29-2003, 10:42 PM
It is the center panel.

Despotus
08-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Ah Hah Hah Hah Hah!!
So great to know that it DOES exist! A million thanks to Skye-Chan and Mwork. I will be making my way toward Germanas Peak in the very near future!!!! Is it as useful an item as purported? Did you use it to 'catch' useful items from the ninjas in the Deep D? What tips could I help you fine gentlemen out with? as if you guys needed help...right?

Mwork
08-30-2003, 01:22 AM
In terms of evasion, the Vanish Mantle's fairly good. It's the second best in the game.

And its added effect is pretty useful.

But I still don't find it better than a Setiemson. Invisibility coupled with Auto-Haste is much nicer than Invisibility with some evasion.

Pancaek
09-01-2003, 07:20 AM
Haha, "gentlemen". I like that. =)

You're welcome. The only tip I need is to know what this trick is that you're talking about. I don't see how the Vanish Mantle would help you catch weapons, because you'd be invisible.

Mwork
09-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Catching rare weapons is like a slow, random form of duping. Even when using an Invisible unit in Horror.

I don't like.

Pancaek
09-01-2003, 08:11 PM
I don't like it either, but I guess if you're not up to exploiting bugs you have to do it. I used to know how to dupe weapons really quickly, but I forgot.

I think I might know what you're talking about now, though, Despotus. Is it where you set your guys up like this:
<pre>
XO N
</pre>
and the ninja (N) tries to throw the weapon at X (preferably without Catch), but O (the invisible guy) catches it because the ninja didn't know he was in the way?

Despotus
09-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Yes that's the trick I want to try, the one with the invisible guy caught in the crossfire... I dunno, it just sounds like a nice way to get some knight swords, scorpion tails, and other hard to find stuff. And by the way, I agree that duping is a glitch and to take advantage of it to get more Chaos Blades would only be cheapening a great gaming experience. This trick in the D.D. is bona fide because your characters are doing the work, bleeding (and hopefully catching too) so they might gain some small advantage in the next skirmish...

Chzn8r
10-13-2003, 10:28 PM
The invisible from my vanish mantle always fades after the person's first turn. Not sure if that's supposed to happen or not.

Despotus
10-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Yep, I found that out too. Dropping out of the 'Transparent' state is something I've always hated about the Setiemson perfume... and now it's my chief complaint about the Vanish Mantle. The only way to avoid turning visible is to not 'act'. So, the V-mantle and Setiemson (which also Hastens your character for the full duration of the battle regardless of whether you 'act' or not ...:greenie: ) are only useful for positioning a character in a strategic location without any enemies taking notice..until it's too late! Invisible characters can also be used to clog up a narrow passage or stairway limiting enemy movement.

Dyce_darg
11-20-2003, 03:04 AM
instead of trying to catch the items in the "deep dungeon" with the people in the crossfire i just equip the ability "catch" and i find it is VERY!!! useful.