PDA

View Full Version : 56k... bad? (...and other lag issues)

i90east
09-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Yeah duh, most people would say yes but, let's be honest here. Do you guys think that 56k connections will really make the game slower?

I play Warcraft 3 with my 56k, and I never lag unless my ISP shafts me (disconnects me). Now I've also played FPS shooters online, and that can be pretty bad with a 56k.

For those who have played, does the game make sure that all players are up to date (popping up the "waiting for players" screen when someone falls behind) or does the game proceed without waiting, and just lets the lagging players accept bursts of information? These things are important to gameplay. For those who have played, was lag ever a big problem?

Rostum
09-03-2003, 07:45 AM
No, I think Square took this into concideration alot, and have made sure that the game wouldn't lag on 56k'ers. I've heard it doesn't and if it did, you wouldn't even notice it, of coarse it'd depend on your computer specs as well.

Lionx
09-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Every connection up there will be shifted to fit the 56K narrowband. So DSL or Cable u still will be going about the same as 56K would in that game. No lag since i use 56K as well. IT only lags a bit when u are downloading the NPCs and stuff but its at most 4-6 seconds after the screen has loaded. Trivial thing really.

Now my video card isnt the best and it lags when there is special wheather, but if u dont have the best u can always turn off the effects of wheather appearing in ur screen(theres a icon on the left corner that shows the weather anyway so that helps) and that shuts off lag permenently.

inlineskating29
09-04-2003, 11:20 PM
it is suggested that u use cable dsl
and u can lag the server if u do things on a 56k like if a lot of 56kers summon monsters i think tha will lag it but im not shure

i90east
09-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Only if people have slow CPUs. Any action is just a small piece of information. The game itself knows how to execute each action and does so accordingly.