PDA

View Full Version : 16-bit first boss counter-attack club

Flying Mullet
09-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Why is it that the first boss that you fight on all three Final Fantasies for the Super Famcom/Nintendo have a nasty counter attack if you attack them at the wrong time.

- The Mist Dragon in FFIV counter-attacks if you attack it when it's in mist form
- The Wing Raptor in Final Fantasy V counter-attacks if you attack it when it's covering itself with its wings
- Whelk will counter-attack you if you attack it when it's in its shell(or attack its shell at all for that matter)

I just thought of this the other day and thought that it was an odd coincidence.

Mr. Graves
09-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Same with FF7, with the Guard Scorpion.

Strider
09-04-2003, 01:13 AM
They're trying to teach you a lesson, and provide an opportunity for your friends to laugh at you if you slip up.

"Dude, I just lost to Whelk!"
*silence*
"Ha ha ha ha!"

Inuyasha23
09-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Thay do it in the beggining of the game so you can build a stratigy. it happens in ten when you have the summoning duels. and in all the other ff ive played. its good practice.

§håd0w
09-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Sleep Sprout in FFX has a nasty counter attack if you don't kill him the first time witha physical attack. It inflicts confusion, darkness, sleep, and poison. So unless your immune to poison, your gonna die within 3 turns if you don't beat it in one hit or with magic.

ShadyMilkman
09-06-2003, 03:10 AM
I guess you could add that creature at the bottom of the Iifa tree in FFIX... but it is well into the game, not at the beginning. Not sure what it was called offhand, but if you used fire on it (which seemed like the right thing to do, since it was a plant), it used this really strong fire element counter.

Cz
09-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Basically, it's to stop you repeatedly hitting attack, and encourage you to think strategically. It never works, though.

§håd0w
09-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Yan also have the worst counter attack. It counters everything, and will eliminate most of your characters if you dont beat it within 2 turns.