PDA

View Full Version : SUN SIGIL: How-to / tips... (spoilers)

skatehippie
09-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Hey everybody,

I just recently got the Sun Sigial (with help from my brother who is godly at figuring out hard-to-beat things) and I thought I'd make a short guide to help out those who want to get it as well. My brother got the Sigil with a time of 36 seconds, 16 balloons caught and 3 birds hit.

First off, I am going to assume you've done the four training routines already so you have access to the Caladbolg itself.

Now for the catcher training...and the ultimate goal of a negative time for the race... an even 0:0:0 won't do it, you have to get a time UNDER 0:0:0, which will NOT be shown at the end. You'll know you got a negative time if the trainer gives you the Sigil.

Now onto the race itself.
Oh, and it definitely helps if you're good at Diddy Kong racing for N64...seriously, the similarity is rediculous.

1. There are about 2 or 3 layouts of balloons for the race, the preferred one is the one that offers the most balloons at the beginning. If you can get most/all of the balloons before the first turn, it will basically negate the first 10-12 seconds of the race alltogether, leaving you with a negative time to start off with before the birds start flyin'...which is good for those who didn't pick up on that.

2. Don't ever try to cross the trainer in the beginning. It is not important as to who is technically ahead or not. At the very beginning, tap right slightly. This will slightly change your path from being parallel to the trainer, to heading straight for the first balloons. Take the first turn as sharply as possible.
Optional: It is recommended to use the Keypad as opposed to the joystick. Why? Sensitivity. You get a slight control edge with the pad.

3. Bird-dodging. These things are incredibly annoying, however, they're as dumb as the do-do's were. They follow a simple pattern, and never deviate from it. They basically shoot in 2-bird or 4-bird volleys, and are usually aiming for just one of you. Use the trainer as a shield. Yes, she'll be in front of you, but instead of getting balloons, she'll get 2 or 4 birds to the face while you're speeding ahead.

4. Tactics for bird-dodging: using sharp turns alone will save you from 40-50% of bird volleys, however, if they're coming right for you there is little you can do. The daredevil-ish way to dodge is zigzag. Go slightly to the right of the first bird then a HUGE turn to the left right in front of the next bird. Chances are you will dodge it as well. The goal is not to get through without getting hit, it is simply to minimalize the inevitable.

5. Do practice runs for bird-dodging. After 5 runs or so you'll get the hang of dodging most of them. And if you're like me, you'll find that one random "practice run" will turn out to actually get you the Sigil.

6. Balloons are first priority, birdies are second. It is easy to get distracted by bird-dodging and to miss balloons. This is not the way to go. You goal is to get a difference of 13 when comparing the number of balloons caught and birds hit.
Example: 0:38:0 seconds for time, 15 balloons, 2 birds: -0.1.0 seconds.

7. Bouncing. This course has invisible walls which will bounce you automatically. So you may be heading straight for a row of 3 balloons, and suddenly be knocked off course and maybe get one of them. This is incredibly annoying. The simple tactic is to stay in the middle of the track. This may seem hard because of the minimal space you have to dodge the birds, but should you be going around the second/final turn, you'll want to be on course rather than being bounced.

These are the basic tactics...and as usual, practice is the way to go. Don't be discouraged and give up. Are you really gonna let some stupid mini-game keep you from getting the ultimate sword for Tidus? I don't think so. =P

XeQtR
09-07-2003, 07:46 PM
I made it on the third or fourth try, can't say it was difficult at all. I tried to push the opponent to the side while catching balloons, and when i saw birds coming i just tok a big turn to either side, so they never hit me.

However, something i'm having big trouble with is the lightning-dodger thing, which is driving me crazy. Could someone post a guide for that? It's not that i don't understand it, but i always seem to pick a bad spot or press the button a little too fast. :|

§håd0w
09-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Try to get everything good out of the race before you go for the sigil. Since you won't normally get anything else afterwards. The FAQ for this forum has the info too. I dunno if your's is any different.