PDA

View Full Version : Materia Queries

Xander
09-08-2003, 11:30 PM
FFVII was the first FF I ever played, a couple of years ago, and I have really good memories of it...so I decided to start playing it again :D Even though I have loads more FF's that I haven't completed... I just felt I missed a lot the first time, it being my first time round (I missed Yuffie's sidequest, didn't breed chocobos hence get KOTR, and so on).

So, I wanna do really well this time, and not miss stuff! But I was looking for some tips for using materia. The first time I played I never even really understood that it grew with AP, I mean I knew that I got a higher magic but didn't really understand why.

So, my first question is, does the materia level up as you use it? Or just by having it equipped? Cos at the moment some materia I haven't used is gaining as much AP as the ones I have..so I'm guessing that it goes up just by having it equipped?

And another question, should I bother buying the same materia for everyone (3 fire, 3 ice..etc) or would it be ok if I sorta gave myself a magic user, an in-betweener and a fighter who I didn't give any/or much magic to?

Cos I liked in FFIX where everyone had their own abilities and would prefer it like this, than everyone doing everything? Is this a good idea or does it not really matter how I choose to equip it?

Any other materia tips welcome too....

I'm really looking forward to a different experience this time :)

Flying Mullet
09-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Xander
So, my first question is, does the materia level up as you use it? Or just by having it equipped? Cos at the moment some materia I haven't used is gaining as much AP as the ones I have..so I'm guessing that it goes up just by having it equipped?
Materia only grows if you have it equipped. If for some reason you materia's AP is growing when no one has it equipped it sounds like a bug.

And another question, should I bother buying the same materia for everyone (3 fire, 3 ice..etc) or would it be ok if I sorta gave myself a magic user, an in-betweener and a fighter who I didn't give any/or much magic to?
Cos I liked in FFIX where everyone had their own abilities and would prefer it like this, than everyone doing everything? Is this a good idea or does it not really matter how I choose to equip it?
That's all up to your personal preference and playing style. Just remember that the more magic materia you equip on someone, the more their strength and HP will decrease and their magic and MP will increase. That's the beauty of the materia, you can play around with different combinations and see which style you like best. But if you like having different party members playing specific roles in battle, then try it out and see what you think.

Xander
09-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the help Flying Mullet :D

No it wasn't growing when it wasn't equipped I meant, did you need to actually use it in the battle for it to grow, or just have it equipped, but by the looks of it you just need it equipped, as I thought...

But if you like having different party members playing specific roles in battle, then try it out and see what you think.

And cool I will try that then... *wonders who she can make into a little Vivi*. Would be easier if I was allowed 4 members in the battle :( But hey.... one thing I will do is use Aeris a lot more this time, I didn't use her much last time and regretted it after she died :(.

To Abominatrix re: below post Thanks for that too..another thing I never really noticed or thought about before, weapons or armour effecting growth. :)

TheAbominatrix
09-09-2003, 11:46 AM
And do remember that your bracer equipment effects the growth. Some have zero growth, especially the ultimate ones, and some have double. So make sure you pay attention to those.

Strider
09-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Later in the game, there's a couple of weapons that have triple growth, too. The only ultimate weapon that allows Materia to earn AP is Aeris' Princess Guard. I think.

Xander
09-10-2003, 10:36 PM
I have another question :D Does the amount of AP that materia gains depend on the level of the enemies? (in other words does materia gain more AP from fighting higher level enemies). Still trying to get my head around it. Whoo. Thanks.

Flying Mullet
09-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Different enemies will give you different amounts of AP, but the same enemies will give you the same amount of AP every time(if that makes sense).

Xander
09-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Umm kinda but do higher level enemies give you more AP, or not necessarily?

What happened to your name? I liked "Flying Mullet"?? :(

Flying Mullet
09-10-2003, 10:55 PM
In general, yes. There are some enemies at the end of the game that give you 1,000-2,000 AP per battle. I can't remember how much you get on average though at the end of the game from a usual encounter.

I felt like going with a change, and this is one of my nicknames. ;)

Xander
09-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Oh right, thanks. :)

I know what you mean about wanting a change, I change my avator every 5 seconds ;)

Numisma
09-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Xander, the best way to explain the whole 'gaining AP' thing with enemies is..

an enemy, when defeated, will give you some amount of gil, some amount of EXP, and some amount of AP. EXP only affects the characters's levels, and AP only affects the levels of the materia equipped on the 3 characters in who were in that battle. it's like exp for your materia. it totally depends on the enemy defeated as to how much exp, ap, and gil you earn.

Xander
09-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks Numisma, I understand it now, being the slow person I am, I didn't notice where it told you how much AP you gained after the battle, where the Exp is added. Man I don't know how I miss these things. :rolleyes2

But you put it well..cheers, and thanks to the others who answered, I *shall* be a FFVII master yet :D *heidegger laugh* Gya ha ha ha ha........

Lehteb
09-15-2003, 03:28 AM
i generally dont bother with materia other than cure, revive, time, etc after midgar...

" I change my avator every 5 seconds " - why?

i have had the same one for about....2 1/2 years...