PDA

View Full Version : Irvine's real reason... (spoilers)

§håd0w
09-11-2003, 10:43 PM
I was thinking about this a while ago, but never got around to posting it, and I dunno if anyone else asked this either.

When Irvine was about to snipe Edea, we all know that he started spazing out and couldn't shoot. He claims that it's too big, and he would go down in the books for it. But what I thought, is that he didn't do it because he knew that Edea was Matron, and wouldn't shoot the person whom raised him. How many others thought about this?

Big D
09-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Excellent point. Perhaps that was the real reason he freaked out?
Irvine had a clear memory of the past; he would've known who he was aiming at. I suppose he either pretended to lose it, or else really did lose his nerve.

That's probably part of the reason for his little chat with Squall earlier, too - the one where he asked about Squall's opinion of 'good' and 'evil'.

ShadyMilkman
09-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Prolly a combination of the pressure, the knowledge of who she is, and the fact that Selphie, who we all know he wants really bad is wearing a reeeeeeeally short pair of crotchless overalls....

Rand Al'Tor
09-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Hmm..; Matron could have playe da role. but as Irvine seemed to regain control by Squall's little pep talk, which would be beside the point if his REAL reason was Edea's identity, I think the main reason is the pressure of having it all come down to him.

Can't have made his job easier though.

CloudDragon
09-12-2003, 06:08 AM
I'm pretty sure he didn't know.

Irvine isn't a SeeD, he never had a job this big, so he couldn't handle the pressure that was put on to him. Thats what I think.

Doomgaze
09-12-2003, 09:20 AM
I'd say he knew - his memory was unaffected, as GFs were fairly new to him. I'm guessing that was the main factor, though the stress couldn't have helped. It's unfortunate that this is the only time he gets ANY character development, otherwise we'd have more to go on :p

EDIT: He is a SeeD, as far as I know.

Kindo
09-12-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm quite positive that he "prolonged" the actualy sniping by pretending he freaked out, and that he did it because he knew she was Matron. But in the end, he had to do his job anyway. Simple as that...

TheAbominatrix
09-12-2003, 10:34 AM
I agree with the fact that he knew who this sorceress was, and couldnt bring himself to do it.

I'm also pretty sure (I havent played this game in years) that this was his first mission, and thus possibly his first time killing anyone, which can be incredibly hard to do, especially when it's by sniping, since your opponent (presumably) has no defense.

Wouldnt it be nice if we'd had some more development? *sigh*

ShivaBlizzard8
09-12-2003, 05:31 PM
This is hard, because it deals with one of my big problems with the whole "memory" plotline - I find it hard to believe that Irvine knew all along and just didn't say anything. He really doesn't show any sign early on in the game of acting as if he's hiding something from the others, or that he even recognises his long-lost friends, although I hadn't thought of this moment until you all mentioned it.

Originally posted by Doomgaze
EDIT: He is a SeeD, as far as I know.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? However, he does directly state in the game that he isn't a SeeD (I think its that basketball court scene in Trabia Garden), and I suppose it makes sense logistically since he's from Galbadia Garden, and it is generally assumed that the actual SeeD exam is only given by Balamb Garden (hence Selphie's transfer). Therefore, Irvine is a Galbadian Garden cadet, albight a talented one.

Brian The Pink Shark
09-18-2003, 05:14 PM
I believe Irvine didn't want to do it, but he did do it in the end, edea just deflected his bullet

Cz
09-18-2003, 07:30 PM
If Irvine had realised that Edea was matron, I don't think any amount of persuasion would have made him take the shot. I genuinely think that he was just nervous.

§håd0w
09-21-2003, 01:35 AM
He had the clearest memories of anyone... He had to known is was Matron.

Big D
09-21-2003, 04:49 AM
Yeah, he says that he knew.
However, since he knew she had become a threat to the world, he might've been able to do it. If he hadn;t spent so long "freaking out" because of it.

Eartha
09-21-2003, 05:44 AM
Maybe he recognised her, but had to go through with it anyway because he'd thought about it and decided that although she used to be good, as far as he knew at the time, she was different now and he had to act bravely. It's the same thought process the others all went through at the end of disc two in Galbadia Garden when they realise it's matron, but they have to go through with fighting her anyway.

Rand Al'Tor
09-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Hmmm.... Small note. Did Irvine ever see Edea WITHOUT the mask before they were up in the clocktower? If not, Irvine WOULDN'T know the Sorceress was Edea, as he doesn't even LOOK at her when he's freaking out.

Also, Irvine seems to be affected by Squall's words. If all he did was figuring out he had to shoot Matron for the greater good, why would he even REACT to Squall's words.

"Just a sign..."

ShivaBlizzard8
09-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Good point - however, did Irvine EVER see Edea without her mask on before his confession in Trabia? Did anyone? I've often wondered when he made the connection if not right away - the only thing I can think of is that Irvine remembered her last name - Kramer - so when, on disc 2, the team finds out that the Sorceress is Cid's wife, Irvine put 2 and 2 together.

Big D
09-22-2003, 02:24 AM
Well, Squall had never seen her face, and he was suffering from GF amnesia, yet when General Caraway told him the name "Edea" it was still enough to make him think twice for a moment. It when they're leaving Caraway's mansion. Squall's memory almost gets jogged for a second.

Rand Al'Tor
09-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, Irvine gets a good close look at her through his sniper scope, and she is unmasked by then. Of course, lots of years have passed and she IS in very differenty clothing. Not to mention that if the 'nervous' theory is right, Irvine was NOT in the state of mind to think of his childhood and wonder whether he hadn't seen the woman he was about to shoot before.

Squall04
09-23-2003, 06:51 AM
I never thought about this, but come to think of it, that would explain his concern about good and evil, and his hesitation, because I don't think he's that worried about going down in the history books.

Starcrest
11-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Why you all thinking he missed on purpose? From where I was sitting, and from the angle, it seemed like a clear Head Shot to me

§håd0w
11-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Have you even made it to Trabia Garden yet?

Don't revive dead threads.

Starcrest
11-05-2003, 11:43 PM
Yeah I've been to T-Garden, what's your point?

and WTF u mean don't revive dead threads?

Big D
11-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Typically, if no-one's posted in a thread for a month or more, it's supposed to be left alone. A 'dead thread' is one that's no longer active. However, it's up to the moderators to enforce these rules... also, please use the 'edit/delete' button if you want to add something to one of your posts. It's better than posting twice in a row.

Back on topic, though, I think you're right that Irvine's aim was perfect. Squall even says so. However, Irvine delayed for quite a while when he 'freaked out', so Edea had quite a while to prepare her 'protect' spell.
As for what masamune1287 said about Trabia... I think he meant that Irvine's revelations about Edea's identity were a clue that Irvine didn't really want to kill her - the 'real reason' for him freaking out.

But anyway, this thread is pretty old, so I'll close it.