PDA

View Full Version : Eden: What is it anyway O_O;? [Mild Spoilers]

kwobtchan
09-12-2003, 05:23 AM
So, I finally kicked Ultima weapon into last Thursday, which is good. I got Eden, which is VERY good.

However, something is now bothering me. Just what IS Eden? I can't seem to get the thing to resolve into a single image in my mind. Is it...

* A nercon-like figure with a large, ornate bowl on it's head?

* A seahorse-like creature dangling from said bowl?

* A gaping mouth emanating from a collection of... junk?

Or something else entirely?

CloudDragon
09-12-2003, 06:25 AM
I believe it was said that Eden was actually a futuristic Machine of some sort with ultimate power. That was what I believe some people concluded.

Big D
09-12-2003, 06:39 AM
I reckon it's some kind of 'living machine'.
Someone noted, quite perceptively, that Eden is very similar in appearance and style to the garden structures, thereby making it the 'Garden of Eden'. This ties in nicely with its 'Eternal Breath' attack.

Kindo
09-12-2003, 08:20 AM
I second the theory about the Garden. It makes the most sense, since the Gardens play quite a big role in the game, and it really do resemble the structure of them. So I guess it was a mild joke, from Square's side, heh. You know Garden of Eden according to the bible, but in the game it's not a "garden", it's a "Garden". Heh, you get it? lol, I do atleast.

BG-57
09-12-2003, 01:37 PM
I started the 'Garden of Eden' thread, not realizing that this has already been discussed on previous threads. :rolleyes2

Oh well. I think it's an organic version of the SeeD gardens. Like Knights of the Round in FFVII,it is the ultimate summon attack and by far the most over the top in apperance and damage.

Maybe it's some final form or incarnation of a Garden. It's not uncommon to reveal a machine/building is actual a living entity, ie ST:TNG 'Encounter at Farpoint', or one of the Mortar Hedds in 'Five Star stories'.

ShivaBlizzard8
09-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Lol - funny you should bring up "Encounter at Farpoint," in which said creatures were decidedly jellyfish-like, since I've always thought the same thing about Eden. Yes, I think its a living creature, and yes, I think it resembles a garden and is a reference to the biblical Garden of Eden, however, my first impression was that it looked very much like a sea anenome/jellyfish. Never thought about the TNG connection though. :p

MagicKnight Locke
09-14-2003, 09:32 AM
I believe it was just a freakishly big thing designed to kick all of those unlucky monsters asses who encounter it

NM
09-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Eden is there to allow you to get some food and have a drink while the animation runs through. :p

kwobtchan
09-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Hmm, there only to provide sandwich-making time for hungry gamers? How considerate of Square XD.

Though, seriously, I made a roast chicken and pimento cheese sandwich once while the bloody thing was summoning and had time left over to get a drink :P.

Big D
09-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by kwobtchan
Hmm, there only to provide sandwich-making time for hungry gamers? How considerate of Square XD.

Though, seriously, I made a roast chicken and pimento cheese sandwich once while the bloody thing was summoning and had time left over to get a drink :P. Just reading that sandwich description has made my mouth water. I want one. Lots.

...um... *dispels thoughts of delicious sandwiches*

Whenever I use Eden, the first half of the summoning time is devoted to Boosting it up to 255%.
No time for gastronomic pursuits...:cry:

BG-57
09-26-2003, 05:03 PM
The very reason I like concepts like Crono Cross' fast forward button or abbreviated summons in FFIX. I prefer using a quick sucession of regular attacks to one slow attack in regular battles. I save the summons for bosses. Naturally that leaves me no time for sandwich-making activities. :greenie:

Mr. Mojo Risin
09-29-2003, 04:34 AM
I thought Eden was the other half of Hyne or something like that.

Anyways, more importantly, I've been enjoying buffalo chicken sandwiches during my summons, but i can never decide on what type of cheese.

::sigh::

kwobtchan
10-01-2003, 02:52 AM
Actually, I can't boost my GFs when I play FF8. :mad:

My doctor told me one more attempt to boost Eden to 255% and my carpal tunnel may require- ouch -surgery. Hence my time spent pondering what Eden is, and the making of many sandwiches.

Hmm, with buffalo chicken, I'd go with jack cheese myself.

Lehteb
10-02-2003, 03:18 AM
i go and get oreos and milk, myself

i think that eden is the idea of a living garden, Garden of Eden, i just wish i could tie Devour into that theory somehow

Zifnab
10-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Lehteb
i think that eden is the idea of a living garden, Garden of Eden, i just wish i could tie Devour into that theory somehow
Devouring the forbidden fruit?
Eden's "avatar", for lack of a better word, doesn't really help much. On first play I was expecting a Leviathan look-alike. I really like the idea of it being a Garden summon though.

BG-57
10-04-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm kind of free associating here-sorry. :greenie:

I'm reminded of the highest rating you can get for Kain in the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain game: 'Devourer of Worlds'. That would fit nicely for Eden. And remember that Cain was Adam and Eve's son.

I imagine that in turn was inspired the Hindu text that Oppenheimer quotes during the Atomic bomb testing : 'I am become Death; the Destroyer of Worlds'.

Maybe a little far-fetched. :)

Future Esthar
10-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Do you note the clock in the middle of the world? It solve´s the mystery of the big clock in the tower of Ulti´s castle.

nik0tine
10-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Clock in the middle of the world? What are you talking about?

I imagine this thread will be closed sometime soon.

Ouch!
10-13-2004, 01:56 AM
I don't get it.

EDIT: Wait, is that supposed to be some obscure reference to the obscure reference in your signature?

Future Esthar
10-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Hey,during Eden ´s presentation we see a planet and then a triangle on the middle.This triangle is what shot the beam.The triangle rotates along with a clock escale of numbers on Latin (Roman Numbers).

Ouch!
10-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Right, well you should have said that.

For the record, I still don't get it.

Flashback007
10-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I think what he is trying to say is that Eden is somehow connected with the future world were Ultimecia lives.

I am thinking, going out from the Garden summon thing, that the connection maybe could be, that Eden (reincarnation of the Gardens?) also has the power to travell back in time. Maybe he already wanted to warn Squall and his company about Ultimicia plan, but caught up in Ultima Weapon. That would explain why you could also draw Eden from Tiamat (or how ever you write it). Eden also lives in the future world but is used as an GF by Ultimecia and her crew. Somehow he managed to escape to the past. There he landed on the Deep Sea Research Centre and was absorbed by Ultima Weapon. That could bring an interesting theory about the Research Centre. Cause if Eden wouldn't be the GF of Ultima Weapon would the Research Centre be detroyed? Or was it maybe Bahamut who destroyed the Research Centre and confronted Eden. Can you imagine a battle between does two titans?

For the clock maybe it's a memorie of Eden from the future.

Xzirox
10-13-2004, 08:53 AM
I think it reminds a LITTLE bit of the last boss in FFIV :s

Future Esthar
10-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Or,Ultimecia lives on the past and suddenly the world was flooded and Ultimecia´s castles was caught on it.Then Ulti´s tower was found by the Deep Sea Research Center.Interestingly enough someone said on a forum that Bahamut IS Tiamat.And maybe the Weapons´s are also the same? If you compare their positions relative to the site with their positions relative to the tower you will see that their positions are near the same.
For exemple,Tiamat was near the top of the tower and Bahamut was on the top of the mobile Island.
Also ,Omega Weapon was near the bottom of the tower and Ultima Weapon was near the bottom of the ladder on the site.
By the way,could Eden be the messenger sleeping on the garden?

BG-57
10-14-2004, 12:08 AM
No reason that Omega Weapon and Tiamat can't be future forms of Ultima Weapon and Bahamut. What keeps me up nights is trying to work out how Ultima Weapon got Cloud's sword. I guess if Cloud can travel dimensions from FFVII to FFT, his sword can go on trips as well. ;)

I would imagine that if any GF is the messenger, it would be Diablos, since he used the 'Dark Messenger' attack. If Eden is the Garden, then Diablos sleeps in Eden. Perhaps like the devil that tempted Eve in the form of a serpent?

Or am I going too far here? :greenie:

P.S. Don't be surprised if this thread gets closed, it's about a year old.

Future Esthar
10-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Basicaly Eden was telling you how Time compression was made (TC mapping)

Ireng
11-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Eden, from my point of view, is simply an ethereal, spiritual entity of an unknown realm. It's some form of supreme being humilliated to aid humans as they need it. Like Alucard. He could simply be the ultimate being, some sort of God from which the Gardens are designed (like the Eva units).
I believe they made it like this to make us develop stupid theories like this one and keep on buying their products, trapped in their capitalistic labyrinth.

Zante
11-02-2004, 08:18 PM
I think Eden is some creature(shown on the avatar) inside of some kind of infernal machine. In the beginning of the summon, it looks like a futuristic comand centre. I'm not sure about this, but wasn't nou-mou's totema in FFTA something similar to eden?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Future Esthar, sir, this thread was well over a year before you decided to bring it back. And, to add insult to injury, you brought it back for another of your crackpot conspiracy theories.
I'm not sure about this, but wasn't nou-mou's totema in FFTA something similar to eden?Ultima doesn't resemble Eden at all, really. See (http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/charta2.shtml#ultima) for yourself.

Anyway, thread over.