PDA

View Full Version : Midgar Zolem....or Midgar Zolems?

Xander
09-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Playing FFVII for the second time round, I noticed something strange.

Cloud and the others can't get across the swamp because of the "midgar zolem" right?
And I quote from the strategy guide, "Trying to cross the marsh on foot can be dangerous, because there's a huge serpent known as the Midgar Zolem that hunts anyone who enters the area".

It only mentions one, as it does in the game. You can also only see one in the marsh. This gives the impression that the Midgar Zolem is one unique creature.

However arriving at the swamp you see that Sephiroth has killed "a" Midgar Zolem. Quote from strategy guide also says, "you'll encounter "a" Midgar Zolem that has been impaled on a broken tree". Not the Midgar Zolem. That implies there is more than one of them around that area.

Also the fact that you can kill it over and over and it still remains there - is it the same Midgar Zolem or others of the same species that you are killing?

Discuss ;)

Big D
09-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Well, you can't have a species consisting of a single member; I reckon there's a whole community of Zoloms living in the swamp. You only even encounter one at a time, that's all.

Kindo
09-13-2003, 03:50 AM
You don't think it can be that they're talking about the species?

"Crossing the desert, you run a big risk of encountering the Midgar Zolom."

It's sort of the same like:

"Walking in these jungles, you run a big risk of encountering the Bengalian Tiger."

You see?

Kenshin IV
09-13-2003, 04:25 AM
I say it's a video game, so it doesn't matter. I would have hated it if there was only one, anyway. Theys was a good place for leveling, yes theys was.

Xander
09-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Hmm I see what you mean Kindo... it's just the fact that you see one on the world map, it looks as big as the swamp which just made me assume there was only one. And from the things they say. But it obviously makes more sense that there was a lot. :p
I just always thought there was one for some reason.

Didn't that midgar zolem that Sephiroth impaled on the tree look cool? :D

MagicKnight Locke
09-13-2003, 06:39 PM
One of the classic thing is going to the marshes and killing mr.Midgar Zolom over and over with KOR

Big D
09-13-2003, 11:25 PM
...Or returning to the marshes in disc two or three, and defeating this immense beast with a single sword stroke, bullet or punch.
Kinda makes a mockery of Choco Bill's words of warning...

Numisma
09-14-2003, 07:10 PM
slightly offtopic, but how many of you usually go out of your way to get the Beta enemy skill from the Midgar Zolem? and what's the earliest level you've gotten it at and survived?

Big D
09-15-2003, 12:04 AM
I make a point getting Beta, because it is just... that ace.
However, giant fiery mushroom clouds scare me, so I typically wait 'till well into disc two.

Nevermore
09-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Let's also not forget and put into consideration that FF7's got many a nasty translation errors...

Flying Mullet
09-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Numisma
slightly offtopic, but how many of you usually go out of your way to get the Beta enemy skill from the Midgar Zolem? and what's the earliest level you've gotten it at and survived?
Generally I come back later on in Disc II or so to get it. Once I was bored so I leveled up enough that I did beat the Midgar Zolom. I don't remember my levels, just the fact that it was the frist time you go through the swamp and such.

DJ Zero
09-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Nevermore
Let's also not forget and put into consideration that FF7's got many a nasty translation errors...

Aeris: This guy are sick

:D

Nevermore
09-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Store chick in Mideel: Now you coming back!

m4tt
09-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by MagicKnight Locke
One of the classic thing is going to the marshes and killing mr.Midgar Zolom over and over with KOR

What is so classic about that? It's a waste of time, overkill! By the time you have Knights of the Round the experience Midgar Zolom gives you is worthless.

Nevermore
09-16-2003, 05:35 PM
I don't see the interest in that either...In fact, I always thought that, other then causing a shitload of damage, the particular Summon looks pretty gay..bunch of knights flying around twirling cheerleader batons and King Arthur popping out of a red cardboard box..hmm hmm. Not to mention how long and tedious it is.
Like Eden in FF8, or Sephiroth's goddamn SuperNova move.

Halenite
09-16-2003, 08:55 PM
I go to get Beta as soon as I get the Fire Ring (and the hovership so I can go aheadand get the Mithril).

o_O
09-18-2003, 05:20 AM
I get Beta as soon as I get to the swamp. It's amazing what an elemental materia can do for you. (Elemental+Fire on armour.)