PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh, Zeromus

Strider
09-14-2003, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I finally got to FFIV's big guy today. And I got wasted. Numerous times.

But you know, it wasn't like I was unprepared. There were a couple of times where I was doing well until he opened his textbook and started schooling me. Everyone is reasonably strong, leveled from 53 to 57. I got pretty much everything I was supposed to: all of Rydia's summons, all sorts of stuff for Edge to throw, every spell that Rosa can know, pretty much all of the big armor and weapons, with a couple of notable exceptions.

One, I didn't get the Crystal Sword. I went downstairs a few floors without thinking to fully explore the first floor, and I passed it by. That would mean I missed out on all the other stuff on that path, also.

Fortunately, I did manage to get the White Lance and the Masamune and spiffy arrows for Rydia and Rosa, plus a near-infinite amount of every important item. I didn't really have much trouble with killing anything on the way down, except for maybe Mind, but that's besides the point. . .

I got to Zeromus and earned myself several old-fashioned butt-whuppins'. So I got to thinking: Does having the Crystal Sword make that much of a difference? Excalibur is a brilliant sword in itself, and so I didn't bother much to go back to the beginning and get the Crystal. Should I go back up a floor or two and level up some more? Cecil and Kain are well above 3000, Edge is right below it, Rosa is about 2500 or so, and Rydia is just short of 2000. I figured that'd be enough to last, but apparently it wasn't. Would Slow work on my enemy? Every time I thought I was out of trouble healing from one of his Big Bang attacks, I was right back in it a few turns later.

So yeah, any advice on what I should do?

Storm
09-14-2003, 06:54 AM
I would recommend using the Crystal Sword, as it does have better stats than the Excalibur and by obtaining the Crystal Sword you can then have Edge throw the Excalibur at Zeromus, which will deal massive damage.

I would probably make sure that Rydia's health is above 2000 hp's, as Big Bang can take off damage somewhere between 1800-2500.

The last time I finished the game I had most of my party members at level 53 or 54. I still had a bit trouble defeating Zeromus, but I found the following strategy to be somewhat decent.

Cecil: Attack every single round. Cure someone with an elixer occasionally, especially if Rosa or Rydia are running low on magic.

Kain: Jump. Hopefully he'll avoid Big Bang.

Edge: Throw everything you've got at him(Excalibur being the most effective). If you run out of items to throw, have Edge use elixers on the other members instead of Cecil.

Rosa: Cast Cure4 every single round.

Rydia: Summon Ashura every single round. If you're risky, occasionally summon Bahamut.

Good luck. If this doesn't work level Rydia up until level 60 something when she will learn Meteo. Then the battle is just a joke.

Strider
09-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Ah, well, I guess it doesn't matter now, since I schooled him last night. But thanks for the help, yo.

Rase
09-14-2003, 05:11 PM
I was level 58-60 when I beat it and it's was fairly easy. Rydia doesn't need Meteo since Bahumut does 9999 damage also and takes about half as long to cast. You should definatly have the Cystal Sword and all that. I like having:

Cecil and Kains HP around 3500

Edges between 3000 and 3500

Rosas between 2800 and 3000

Rydias between 2500 and 3000

During Battle:

Cecil = Attack like crazy

Kain = Jump like crazy

Edge = Throw like crazy

Rosa = Cure 4 all like Crazy

Rydia = summon either Bahumut or Ashura like crazy.

If you want to you can also have Rosa cast Fast on everyone, but have Rydia summon Ashura.

Anyway, this is how I did it. Hope it works for you. Or, hope whatever way you use works.

Bahamut2000X
09-15-2003, 12:52 AM
If this doesn't work level Rydia up until level 60 something when she will learn Meteo. Then the battle is just a joke.

I disagree. The casting time for meteo itself is just redicuoulsy huge. By the time I've ever gotten Rydia to cast it we already had done more damage then Meteo. Meteo is a waste of time, Bahamut is cheaper, faster, and 2 Bahamut's will do much mroe then ONE Meteo and you'll be able to do 2 before a Meteo is ready.

Calaveron
09-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Edge's Masamune can also cast Fast when used as an Item.

MagicKnight Locke
09-17-2003, 04:30 PM
It took me a pile of time too.
Just summon with rydiamhit with cecil,jumb with kain,throw with edge and heal ALWAYS with Rosa and u'll be fine

The Man
09-17-2003, 06:35 PM
I just turned down the battle speed and wasted him at more or less the same levels you mentioned in your first post with more or less the same items. The only real caveat I'd say is don't cast any magic on him; he'll retaliate against that in addition to his normal attack, which is too much for Rosa to Cure4 adequately. (I'm told he doesn't react to Bahamut, but I never bothered getting that summon).

Rase
10-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Deathjester
(I'm told he doesn't react to Bahamut, but I never bothered getting that summon).

You should it's as easy as anything to get and if you've beaten the whole game but that it gives you an extra 1/2 hour of something new to squeeze out