PDA

View Full Version : Damn modem *kicks tower*

Erdrick Holmes
09-16-2003, 01:27 AM
My modem which usually connects at about 46-49 kbps. Well usually after my phoneline gets reconnected, after a thunderstorm, or after we get the phone worked on outside my connection drops to about 9.1 kbps and its accompanied by this annoying buzzing sound my modem makes when it connects, I know it makes an annoying buzzing noise when it connects normally but the default noise is accompanied by another buzzing noise. Im sure it will get better in time, oh and reconnecting and changing connection numbers wont change it, but how can I stop it from happening again?

crono_logical
09-16-2003, 04:34 AM
Sounds like something is interfering on the line straight after those things happen, hence it can't connect any faster without data loss, so changing where you dial to is not going to help. Not sure where to go from there, since this seems to be mostly out of your control :p

Peegee
09-16-2003, 02:04 PM
using analog lines for data transfer is fundamentally limited due to a lot of factors, some of which I will list out:

-noise
-electromagnetic interference
-obselete cabling
-bad connectivity
-anything and everything else

So basically clout's right when he says it's out of your hands. If the speed is restored in time to 46-49kbps (which is pretty darn good speeds considering) in time, then I don't see a reason why it should be obselete cabling. I think it's more of the first reason more than anything *nod*.

I am not 100% sure whether analog/voice cables have anything better than category 3 going on with them, but as far as I know, if they don't (which I think), the cable lacks anti-magnetic measures, and thus, it's more than likely that it's electromagnetic-interference related. Why it fails when you 'reconnect' is beyond me, and I'm definitely confused over the 'getting the phone worked on outside'

Erdrick Holmes
09-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Wow... Clout has.. no answer..... I think Im gonna faint.

crono_logical
09-16-2003, 03:31 PM
I never said I knew everything :p

Peegee
09-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Clout is amazing when it comes to computer stuff. However your question is specific to data communications technologies and topologies (well not topologies, but I wanted to write it in there).

^_^

Erdrick Holmes
09-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Uhhh.... I doubt internet connectivity AKA a WAN has a topoligy.

Peegee
09-17-2003, 03:26 PM
From memory topology is the wire routing, connection points, and..er...termination. The stuff you mentioned about the 'WAN' (you mean the telephone cables all around town?) don't really apply IMO. They might, but it would still be irrelevant.