PDA

View Full Version : aDSL/UO question

wax
09-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Okay, so about 2 months ago, my girlfriend got ADSL in her apartment in bloomington, which she shares with 2 other people. The problem is, the other two people play UO damn near obbsessively. The result is, that when they're playing UO, she doesn't get a decent connection. The line is about 1500 down/512 up (i think), but she ran a speed test while they were both playing, and the speeds were somewhere around 56 down/36 up. The roomates said they wouldn't stop playing UO, but they would try to limit the amount of bandwidth it uses.

So my question is this, is there some type of config tool built into UO, that can limit the amount of bandwidth that is used? Or is there some way to tweak the connection so that each PC gets approximately 1/3 of the bandwidth? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to broadband connections and sharing them. If there's nothing that can be done, I think she's going to get a wireless card and tap into the neighbor's WLAN and use thier connection.

Endless
09-16-2003, 08:07 PM
What is your friend using to share the connection?

wax
09-16-2003, 10:34 PM
We use a base 100 router, i think it's a Belkin. Also, my girlfriend doesn't host the connection. One of the roomates does, becuase the router and modem had to be in their room.

Endless
09-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Ok, the router doesn't have anything to do it. So I guess we need to loo at the software. What OSes are the three using?

Also, try starting to search for bandwidth throttling, and try if they all have XP to activate the QoS packet manager in the properties of their lan connection.

wax
09-17-2003, 12:15 AM
all three PCs are running XP Pro, Sp1. As far as I know, they all have QoS scheduler on, but i don't know the settings on all the PCs, let me get my girlfriend in here, she has access to the other PCs on the network

Doomgaze
09-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Get a UO account and grief them incessantly until they quit :D

wax
09-17-2003, 03:39 PM
I refuse to sully her computer with UO. :skull: I think I'm just going to start moving huge files across the network, that should slow things down pretty significantly. :evilking:

Actually, I found a program that allows you to specify the maximum bandwidth each PC is allowed to use. Now it's just a matter of getting all three of them to not use the internet long enough to run a speed test.