PDA

View Full Version : Best World Map(s)

i90east
09-18-2003, 07:15 AM
World maps play an important role in an FF game. Which game has the best free roaming world map (or multiple maps)? I've excluded FFX and FFMQ. If tactics has a free roaming world map, add it.

MagicKnight Locke
09-18-2003, 12:37 PM
ff5 all the way:cool: :cool:

Xander
09-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I like FFVII's map :D It looks good, I like the music on it, it has a nice amount of areas to explore and it's fun to fly around with the airship. I didn't like the look of FFVIII's so much and FFIX's was alright but..nah I go for FFVII :)

edczxcvbnm
09-18-2003, 04:12 PM
FFVII with out a doubt has the best map design. Probably the best design ever in an RPG. The way you go from area to area unlocking new cars or planes to access further areas and at the same time giving you easier access to back track if you so choose. So going forward is just as easy as going back once you get that new mode of transportation. But it still limits you from going all the way forward. The way most of the map is divided by mountains or a river is rather nice because when they divid them into big continents there...it really limits your ability to go backwards.

For all those reasons and proably more FFVII is hands down...THE BEST.

i90east
09-18-2003, 05:20 PM
I too like the FFVII map, but... I like FFVI's map even more. Yes I'm a FFVI fanboy, but I'm not being biased here. The first world was great with the northern and southern continents. Everything was peaceful in the north while war raged in the south. Then the Empire learned about the esper in Narshe, bringing the armies up to the northern continent. It was classic. Interestingly, most of the game's heros lived on the northern continent.

Then you get two for the price of one. There's a second world (I'll try not to reveal any spoilers). It's still the only world I know where you can do things in any order you want once you get the airship. Talk about freedom. That second world adds a new dimension to the game, and gives it a totally different atmosphere.

That's what's so great about FFVI's world maps. There were so many different settings. The game sends you on a big trip, and it's great from beginning to end. I've never seen so much diversity in any other FF game.

Outsider
09-18-2003, 06:08 PM
FF5 map was very good... I'll vote for it

I think that FF6 map is a little short, but the WoR map is great...

crono_logical
09-18-2003, 06:37 PM
I'lll stay stuck between choosing between 5 and 6. :p

5 had the especially nice feature of the 3rd map being a combination of the first two, and it was interesting to see how all those little impossible-to-get-to islands on the first two come together to make a long chain which was then used as part of the around-the-world-in-80-days-on-a-chocobo miniquest :p I think the joining also created a new path that otherwise would have been impossible to get to where Odin was :p

6 is good for above said reasons :p

I actually find the CT maps good too - even though each time period's map is rather small (especially 12,000 BC), it's nice to see the way how the land formations and map locations move around as time goes by :p As well as how the location of Tyrano castle didn't change with time even though the land above it did :p And the Sun mountain or whatever it's called in the same location over the millions of years :p

Xander
09-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Wow crono_logical, you sure you don't want to add any more " :p " smilies to that? ;)

I didn't really like FFVI's map due to the fact that the view changes when your on a chocobo and it's confusing >< Wish it just stayed the same.

Miles_the_11
09-20-2003, 08:29 PM
FFVI WoB map was far too standard

animee_
09-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Final Fantasy VII

Kindo
09-21-2003, 01:20 AM
I fully agree with i90east and say FF6. And what's the complaint about the view changing while on Chocos/Airship? That view is really cool. :D

muchacho
09-21-2003, 03:56 AM
ffx...

Kindo
09-21-2003, 04:55 AM
Er.... insane? FFX didn't have a world map to begin with... :|

Xander
09-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Kindo
I fully agree with i90east and say FF6. And what's the complaint about the view changing while on Chocos/Airship? That view is really cool. :D

I just personally prefer the normal "birds eye view" and would have liked it kept that way when your on a chocobo. It just looks different and at first it was kinda uncoordinating me as to where I was headed. I would have liked the option to look at it in either view. :)

Doomgaze
09-21-2003, 07:04 PM
VII's was probablly the best, really. Just read ed's post again, that about covers it. That said, I liked Xenogears's more, and CT had good maps too. And, um, Hyrule >_>

Do we agree that FF9's sucked, though? 99% of the world population was jammed onto one continent, it was kind of annoying. The rest of the world was too desolate.

§håd0w
09-22-2003, 12:15 AM
FFVII's world map had the best graphics and textures. The vehicle/character/airship response was a lot more precise too. FFVIII and FFIX were too slow when moving the camera angel.

As Doomgaze said, there was too much on the Mist Continent in FFIX. Things needed to be more spread out. FFVIII was good, the camera angels were too sensitive. As for the 8 and 16 bit world maps. Those were good, but nothing special to them.

crono_logical
09-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Xander
I just personally prefer the normal "birds eye view" and would have liked it kept that way when your on a chocobo. It just looks different and at first it was kinda uncoordinating me as to where I was headed. I would have liked the option to look at it in either view. :) You have to admit that that view was pretty good for the console at it's time though :p

Originally posted by Doomgaze
Do we agree that FF9's sucked, though? 99% of the world population was jammed onto one continent, it was kind of annoying. The rest of the world was too desolate. Yes, it gave that the feeling that the game makers got bored or fed up after doing the first continent so skimped out on the others :p

Tgunz262
09-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I think the reason for the population cram on one island was that few people even suspected or knew there to be other land in the world.

I'm pretty sure at least one party member says something along the lines of "Wow, another continent." When you first get to the northeast island.

muchacho
09-23-2003, 11:51 PM
but it was obvious that there was more land though.

Cz
09-24-2003, 07:09 PM
People were aware that the other continents existed, but hadn't taken the oppurtunity to live there. Although FFIX's map was rather inventive, it was pretty dull, gameplay-wise.

Rase
09-29-2003, 06:00 AM
FF4. 3 world maps (okay 2 1/2 since the Moons pretty much 4 caves) = fun for all.

Advent Child
09-30-2003, 04:44 AM
9. I just thought it was pretty cool.

But if you count CT, I think it's better.

Rase
09-30-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by lj
But if you count CT, I think it's better.

Oh yeah...