PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Aeris? (SPOILERS EVERYWHERE)

Imperia
09-18-2003, 04:37 PM
This just popped into my mind recently, and I'm going to go ahead with it. First of all, I think Aeris is a great character, but I also think she's very overrated. Do you think Aeris is the most overrated Final Fantasy heroine of all?

Nevermore
09-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Aerith was created as the perfect loveable woman character, who's purpose was to die by the hands of Sephiroth (Jenova, I still insist) hence, making you hate the bad guy and making you want to go after him, because the second half of the game pretty much sucks. If that didn't happen, what would be your drive to finish the game, storywise? Save the earth? Yay.

So I don't think she's overrated. I meet many people who hate Aerith just as much as those who love her. She was definitely a landmark in the game, either way.
More as something, wherever our preferences take us, that we'll remember forever.

Aerith did for FF7 what Sephiroth did for bad guys, what Kefka did for angelic type bosses, what Ifrit did for Summons and what the Ecxalibur and Ragnarok did for weapons.

Sephiroth, now HE'S overated, and mostly because he wears a trenchcoat and has cool hair. Meh.

Breine
09-18-2003, 06:26 PM
I agree with Nevermore. The death of Aeris was the big plot-twist in the story. Without her the game wouldn't have been the same.

As a plus she's one of the most loveable characters in any Final Fantasies...

Nevermore
09-18-2003, 06:29 PM
I opt for Yuffie...Heeeee..:love:

Xander
09-18-2003, 06:42 PM
* Contains spoilers although they've already been talked about in the thread!*

I agree that Aeris was a very important part of Final Fantasy VII, you think of FFVII, you think of Aeris' death. As Nevermore said, her death drives you to finish the game and kill Sephiroth, because it was such a huge, extreme, shocking event.
I think this is added to because of the fact that she is portrayed as being very innocent, and good, pure and loving. Just look how many people want to bring her back to life.

So, no I don't really think she is over-rated, I think she was important to the game and without her existence or death, the game wouldn't have been the same.

Although I still found her a bit annoying in places with her going on at Cloud to be her bodyguard :rolleyes2
And I don't think her and Cloud really had much going. (Cloud <3 Tifa) :D

Nevermore
09-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Other then her said qualities, Aerith also gave her life for the planet, which makes people like her even more.

It's not like when Seifer killed Odin, I mean no one cared.

Breine
09-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Other then her said qualities, Aerith also gave her life for the planet, which makes people like her even more.

I totally agree. That just shows what a wonderful and beautiful person Aeris was.

Yes, her death came as a shock. People suddenly lost a character they loved and cared for. As for me, Aeris is actually my alltime favourite character an a FF-game and I know I´m not the only one. People respect her in a way, I mean yeah she gave her life to save the planet. Who wouldn't respect and care for such a person? As mentioned in a previous thread many people actually kept alle her weapons after she died. They didn't sell them like they maybe did with the other characters weapons. This just shows how much they miss, respect and love her. I kept her weapons myself too.

As for her music theme. It's just the saddest theme ever. Everytime you hear it you almost automatically think of her death...

Nevermore
09-18-2003, 08:23 PM
As mentioned in a previous thread many people actually kept alle her weapons after she died.

Indeed. I always equip her with a weapon that I've got two of (Striking staff, for example) so as not to lose either the Princess Guard, Guard Stick, Wizer Staff or Wizard Staff when she dies.
She wasn't my favourite all time game character (Celes Chere is!:love: ) but she was great none the less. And I'm not too fond of sweet and loveable characters, either.

TheAbominatrix
09-18-2003, 09:13 PM
I think the main annoyance that comes with Aerith (and with Sephiroth, for that matter) is not because of in game things (though I did hate her in the game, as well) but because of the fans. The rabid, frothing at the mouth, 'omfg plz remake VII and bring Aerith 2 lief agin!'. It gets more and more annoying, drives me absolutely insane hearing all this stuff about Aerith all the time, all the internet Aerith is better/Tifa is better fights (and yes, both sides annoy me there), etc etc.

Everyone in this thread has made wonderful points. The reason I didnt like Aerith, in game? To me she seemed fake, like she was trying to be something she wasnt. Trying to tag along with Cloud constantly, flirting with him directly in front of Tifa, being annoyingly cutesy and rather helpless, all of these things sort of pooled together to put her on my bad side. I was happy when things went down, in fact I watched the scene quite a few times.

Kenshin IV
09-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Weither people liked her, or hated her, Aeris was the single most important character in the game. She wasn't overrated in the least, and if you ask me, the only other main heroine in a Final Fantasy game that makes an argument as being better is Terra. Rosa, Lenna, Rinoa, Garnet and Yuna don't even come close to those two.

UltimaSepheroth
09-19-2003, 12:25 AM
i think Aeris was way too over rated.
the reason people think that she is the greatest is because she is the only ff heroine/main character to get killed mercilessly.:eek:

Raistlin
09-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Nevermore
[1]Aerith was created as the perfect loveable woman character, who's purpose was to die by the hands of Sephiroth (Jenova, I still insist) hence, making you hate the bad guy and making you want to go after him, because the second half of the game pretty much sucks. If that didn't happen, what would be your drive to finish the game, storywise? Save the earth? Yay.

[2]Aerith did for FF7 what Sephiroth did for bad guys, what Kefka did for angelic type bosses, what Ifrit did for Summons and what the Ecxalibur and Ragnarok did for weapons.

[3]Sephiroth, now HE'S overated, and mostly because he wears a trenchcoat and has cool hair. Meh.

1. Perfect lovable woman, eh? She damn sure wasn't perfect. And "save the world" is the drive for most games.

2. Huh? Sephiroth did sod all for bad guys. And how can any of those relate to what Aeris did for FF7?

3. Again, I disagree. I don't believe Sephiroth himself to be evil, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a good villain. No, I didn't hate Sephiroth; if anything, I felt sympathy. However, that was also one of the main reasons I thought he was a good bad guy.

Do I think Aeris is overrated? Yes, in every category. Usefulness in game: she sucked. Character traits: she was bitchy, moaning, weak, fickle, and 10x the slut people accuse Tifa of being. So yes, she's overrated.

And someone earlier mentioned Terra. How can you even begin to compare Aeris with Terra?

Kenshin IV
09-19-2003, 03:49 AM
Easily.

I'd love you to explain how she was "bitchy" or "slutty" or anything else you said there. If you're going to put her down, try backing it up with things that she actually did in the game. Slutty.. give me a break.

TheAbominatrix
09-19-2003, 04:00 AM
She wasnt out and out slutty, but she certainly did more things to be considered as such than Tifa did. She was constantly all over Cloud, vying for his attention and such, and again, were she dressed in a halter top and skirt, then she would've been called slutty. Bitchy? Eh, she didnt seem to kind and compassionate to me. I know she acted that way, but to me it seemed like at act. Obviously she DID care, seeing as she sacrificed herself (to a point, I dont know if she knew she would die, or if Holy needed her to die in order to work), but she just seemed fake to be (aside from the fact that she wasnt, ya know, real)

Raistlin
09-19-2003, 04:38 AM
I didn't call Aeris a slut; I'd appreciate it if you actually read my words before bashing. What I said was that she is 10x the slut Tifa is, who all the time I find people calling Tifa a whore and such. My evidence? She threw herself at Cloud at all oppourtune moments. She was far more open in her affections than Tifa, as evidenced by the fact that she asked Cait Sith to see what kind of couple her and Cloud would make. Does this make her a slut? No. I was merely pointing out, since I've noted that a lot of Aeris-lovers are also Tifa-bashers, that she's more of one than Tifa is.

Kenshin IV
09-19-2003, 04:47 AM
I'm not bashing anyone, but I don't see how you can say Aeris was bitchy, moany, weak (she only gave up her life for everyone), or even fickle. And Aeris is NOT more of a "slut" than Tifa is. First of all, Tifa isn't anywhere near a "slut." Second of all, neither was Aeris. She's about as much of a slut as Tifa is, which is to say, not one at all. She was just more open than Tifa was. So? I can't see how you can say she's "ten times more slutty" because of that.

eternalshiva
09-19-2003, 01:32 PM
>.< I think people obssess over Arith because she is one of the first playable characters that die in a Final Fantasy game plain and simple.

Xander
09-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Raistlin
Usefulness in game: she sucked.

Without trying to "bash" you, I just wanted to say that I don't think Aeris sucked, in terms of usefulness :p

She has high magic and MP value, is great for loading down with materia and just generally being the team's magic user. And her limit breaks! They are awesome! Whereas most characters have attacking limit breaks, Aeris has healing which makes her a great addition to your party.

Pulse of Life - This completely recovers your characters - cures status ailments, recovers all HP and MP.

Being able to recover MP is a very useful ability I would say, particularly if you aren't near an inn or have no ethers. :D
I love using Aeris in battle for these reasons.

Nevermore
09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
1. Perfect lovable woman, eh? She damn sure wasn't perfect. And "save the world" is the drive for most games.

What the hell? I've read two of your posts, and you seem to be on a war path. None the less.
Of course Aerith wasn't perfect. I guess I should have said she was the perfect portrait of the stereotypical, sweet and loveable, strong but innocent women that the majority of us like and melt under. Opinions about what you think of her sure weren’t what I was gettin' at.

2. Huh? Sephiroth did sod all for bad guys. And how can any of those relate to what Aeris did for FF7?

Bleeding Christ. It's a matter of speech in order to clarify a point. You know, none of this is literal. And I don't understand what ''sod'' is Sowwy.
Sephiroth, weather you like it or not, is one of the most loved villains in the FF series, as the event of Aerith's death is one of the most memorable ones in the FF series. Y'understand?

3. Again, I disagree. I don't believe Sephiroth himself to be evil, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a good villain. No, I didn't hate Sephiroth; if anything, I felt sympathy. However, that was also one of the main reasons I thought he was a good bad guy.

Uh huh. Then you really didn't grasp the story, did you? Sephy wasn't even an Ancient, he was just infused with Jenova cells while still in Lucrecia's womb (I geet eet now! (:D) I daresay he was almost stupid and he just got deceived. Whiny little angsty..
Ah well, that's your opinion, and I'll respect it. But..once again, ''Sephiroth did for villains'' only means he's recognised as one of the greatest villains, whatever your opinion about him is.

Raistlin
09-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Nevermore
What the hell? I've read two of your posts, and you seem to be on a war path. None the less.
Of course Aerith wasn't perfect. I guess I should have said she was the perfect portrait of the stereotypical, sweet and loveable, strong but innocent women that the majority of us like and melt under. Opinions about what you think of her sure weren’t what I was gettin' at.
1. Stereotypical, I agree with.

2. You weren't getting at opinions? However, this whole thread was made because of the typical opinions about Aeris.

Bleeding Christ. It's a matter of speech in order to clarify a point. You know, none of this is literal. And I don't understand what ''sod'' is Sowwy.
Sephiroth, weather you like it or not, is one of the most loved villains in the FF series, as the event of Aerith's death is one of the most memorable ones in the FF series. Y'understand?
I don't agree with that; I've know more people who like Kefka than Sephiroth. I don't think you should state something as fact unless you have something to back it up.

Uh huh. Then you really didn't grasp the story, did you? Sephy wasn't even an Ancient, he was just infused with Jenova cells while still in Lucrecia's womb (I geet eet now! (:D) I daresay he was almost stupid and he just got deceived. Whiny little angsty..
Ah well, that's your opinion, and I'll respect it. But..once again, ''Sephiroth did for villains'' only means he's recognised as one of the greatest villains, whatever your opinion about him is.
Huh? I knew Sephy wasn't a Cetra. I even said I didn't consider him evil, and felt sympathy. Where, from that, did you get that I thought him a Cetra?

Nevermore
09-19-2003, 08:01 PM
2. You weren't getting at opinions? However, this whole thread was made because of the typical opinions about Aeris.

Nah nah nah, this thread was made to hear about opinions on weather or not Aerith is overrated, not opinions about her character.

I don't think you should state something as fact unless you have something to back it up.

Oh no, please cut that out. It takes no genius to know that Sephiroth is indeed, the most popular villain in Final Fantasy history. He is, we all know it.

I don't agree with that; I've know more people who like Kefka than Sephiroth.

True true, as a matter of fact, I've never been a Sephiroth fan. First off, his appearance is just too damn cliché. I much prefer Magus, and he's not even in FF...But that doesn't change the fact at what I said. And it IS a fact. Or at least it should be obvious.

Huh? I knew Sephy wasn't a Cetra. I even said I didn't consider him evil, and felt sympathy. Where, from that, did you get that I thought him a Cetra?

Nah, that's my mistake. Never mind the Cetra. I was trying to say that your opinion of Sephiroth not being evil (Let's all just forget the subjective crap for a sec.) is ill placed. Sephiroth is indeed evil, and rather. But I will suggest that Hojo is just pure scum. Or crazy, one or the other..
Sympathy? I can agree. But it's not the place to post our opinions about the alignments of Final Fantasy VII's characters or nothin'. Wasted sympathy though, one we'd all be allowed to, not just Sephy. I'll end it here with that, anyway.

Imperia
09-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Wow... Never thought this would go deep.:cool:

Personally, I think Aeris is overrated, because of her personality. To me, it's a lot more than just her good deeds. People who love Aeris to death think she's perfect, but she's not. None of the FF heroines are perfect. That's why I get ticked off at the anti-Tifa fans, because they call her impure and imperfect, and Aeris pure and perfect. How can they be so blind? If you like Aeris, that's great, but you have to remember that she has flaws as well.

MagicKnight Locke
09-19-2003, 10:07 PM
id rather have aeris than shitty tifa...

TheAbominatrix
09-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Sephiroth being the greatest villian every is a matter of opinion plain and simple. A lot of people dont like him. I dont like him, many of my friends dont like him. I thought he was stupid, annoying, and far too powerful (not stat-wise, mainly the clone attcks and such). Kefka is my main man. In fact, most FFVII characters were pretty stereotypical, but that's neither here nor there, I liked some of them anyway.

Nevermore
09-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeah, it's a matter of opinion, although what I'm trying to say here, is that the majority of people like Sephiroth, and weather we like him or not, he has indeed become the most famous Final Fantasy villain. I repeat, I don't like him either. But he's still the most preferred bad guy.

That's why I get ticked off at the anti-Tifa fans, because they call her impure and imperfect, and Aeris pure and perfect. How can they be so blind?

I agree, that's pure retardation. And most of those people probably don't even know about Aerith's secret weapon, the Umbrella. (Call it a parasol and die.)
Aerith is NOT perfect. For example, I found her more witty and hypersensitive rather then pure and innocent. Christ. She still rocks though.:D

§håd0w
09-22-2003, 07:11 PM
I know it's Umbrella but the guide calls it Parasol. If Aeris wasn't in the game, it probably wouldn't have been as good as it was. Che could very well be considered the most important person in the game and it sorta revolved around her and Sephiroth. But then there's always the one person who despised Seph and will say something about Cloud being the main character and then it will turn into a flame war.

Nevermore
09-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Well technically he is the main character...

§håd0w
09-22-2003, 07:46 PM
True, but the story revolves more around Holy and Meteor. So it can weighed differently on who is the main character.

Nevermore
09-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Also true, but a big portion of the game is concentrated on Cloud, plus he's the character you play as, not Sephiroth. That's all I mean as main character..personally, my favorite character is Scarlet, and look just how important she is.
*Sarcasm.:D *

§håd0w
09-22-2003, 08:09 PM
lol...

My favorite is and will always be Sephiroth. Playable would have to be Aeris though. I just couldn't stand Cloud's attitude a times.

Nevermore
09-23-2003, 04:34 PM
I loved Cloud's attitude, he's awesome. He's a jerk, but unlike Squall, he's not a whiny bugger.
My favourite playable dude so has to be Cid though. He rules.

§håd0w
09-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Lol, noone could touch Squall. I just didn't like how he alwasy thought of people to be not as strong since he assumed Zack's identity and thought he was in SOLDIER.

Nevermore
09-24-2003, 04:35 PM
What do you mean, no one can touch Squall? He was probably molested as a child, or something.

§håd0w
09-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Hahahahah, you're horrible.

UltimaSepheroth
09-25-2003, 03:44 AM
you can revive Aeris...
i've done it before,
not that i like her or anything, just out of curiosity.
it is odd.
i've also seen her at certain parts of the game after her masacre befor her ressurection.

Nevermore
09-25-2003, 05:18 PM
Ack you. You lie and you know it.
Not only that, but you misspelled Sephiroth and you stole my location.

UltimaSepheroth
09-26-2003, 04:04 AM
i know how to spell sephiroth, i mis-spelled Sephiroth to get people's attention but obvioulsy it didn't work until now:eek:

Nevermore
09-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Lol, yeah right.

Loony BoB
09-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Nevermore and UltimateSephiroth: Please don't go off topic. If you have something to say purely to one person, say it via PM.

Aeris was, in my opinion:

Annoying as hell. - She was always throwing herself at the main character, and I don't know about you guys, but I hate that. She was so freakin' EASY. =P

Unfairly pushed above Tifa. - Because she dies, everyone goes and loves her. Because she doesn't have a large bra size, everyone thinks she's very un-slutty. I thought she was a cheap buy after she continuously threw herself at Cloud, while Tifa was shy and kept to herself - and she gets called a slut. Hmm. Dunno how that works.

Immature. - She often reminded me of my at-the-time-five year old half-sister. I'm being very serious here. =/ Impatient, selfish, and just plain immature.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Maybe people enjoy being around people who are constantly throwing themselves at you, are quite well adjusted to high volume vocality, whining, getting fed up when things don't go their way. Each to their own, yup. I have my little sister for that stuff, but luckily for me, even she is starting to grow up.

§håd0w
09-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Immature

Really? I actually found her to be exact opposite.

She was annoying as hell, but she then again (this may be very cliche) she was also the religous one. Every uber-Christian, Catholic, etc... I have ever met have been annoying as hell. So I agree with you on the one.

As for Aeris being a slut... I just found her to be more of a flirt. Tifa wasn't a slut either, Square just added a little more pixels than need :D Thats where the real debate comes in... It all depends on how you dress, that determine if you're a slut. People looked at Tifa and said "what a skank," but they looked at Aeris and thought "oh man, I want some of that." But personality wise, someone could look at Aeris flirting with Cloud and think she's a slut. As fo Tifa, she was completely shy and never gave any hint that she liked Cloud until the last disc where Cloud told everyone to leave the ship, and come back the next day; when she was holding Cloud as she slept. The whole thing is completely opinionated.

Calaveron
09-29-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by eternalshiva
>.< I think people obssess over Arith because she is one of the first playable characters that die in a Final Fantasy game plain and simple.

Richard the Dragoon in FF2, Tella in FF4, Galuf in FF5, Leo in FF6. Four people before her, doesn't make her "one of the first".

Nevermore
09-29-2003, 05:48 PM
I don't think Aerith was immature at all. However, I'd describe her a little bit more as ''ditsy''.

Loony BoB
09-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by masamune1287
Really? I actually found her to be exact opposite.

She was annoying as hell, but she then again (this may be very cliche) she was also the religous one. Every uber-Christian, Catholic, etc... I have ever met have been annoying as hell. So I agree with you on the one.

As for Aeris being a slut... I just found her to be more of a flirt. Tifa wasn't a slut either, Square just added a little more pixels than need :D Thats where the real debate comes in... It all depends on how you dress, that determine if you're a slut. People looked at Tifa and said "what a skank," but they looked at Aeris and thought "oh man, I want some of that." But personality wise, someone could look at Aeris flirting with Cloud and think she's a slut. As fo Tifa, she was completely shy and never gave any hint that she liked Cloud until the last disc where Cloud told everyone to leave the ship, and come back the next day; when she was holding Cloud as she slept. The whole thing is completely opinionated.
I wouldn't go as far as to say Aeris was a slut, given that she only was after one person. She was just easy, that's all. I don't like that. =P And I know immature Christians, they're everywhere. I'm 'somewhat Christian' and I don't consider myself to be the most mature of people at times. ;) But yeah, it's the fact that she comes across the same way a child does. Yeah. Personal viewpoints, I guess. FFVII left a lot to the imagination, to be honest.

Oh, and I find ditsy to fall under immature, in a sense. Not completely, but the same characteristics.

Nevermore
09-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Well fine, how about ''clumsy'' in an innocent way?

Loony BoB
09-29-2003, 06:50 PM
*laughs* Don't worry, mate, it's all good. I think we just see her quite differently. xD

Nevermore
09-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Yeah I guess so. But I thought she was kind of goofy sometimes. You know, kinda stupid, but I guess her heart was in the right place. Or something..

FFboy4ever
10-07-2003, 01:53 AM
ok. ya all keep saying how aeris is all over cloud.. DUH!!!!! who's memories does cloud take as his own....zach's.........who's aeris's old boyfriend....ZACH!! SHE'S ALL OVER HIM CUZ SHE SEE'S HER DEAD BOYFRIEND IN HIM!!!....how dare you call her over-rated. she IS the game..if there was no aeris whats the game....ooo sephrioth summons a fricking metor YEAH!!!! theres a plot for ya. grr...i cried when she died i was soo upset i stoped playing the game for almost a month!:mad:

SirenGriever
10-07-2003, 08:36 PM
The only reason Aeris seems overated is because she has a major part to the game. I mean, nobody says that Cloud's overated because he's the main character, but when you say that a sub-character is overated it's because sub-characters usually have a smaller part in the game from a main character. Aeris is different.

When Sephiroth summons the meteor what stops it? HOLY! And without Aeris summoning Holy what would be there to stop the meteor from destroying the planet? Because of Aeris' tagalong attitude she saves the day the moment in the game where she says 'I want to come along!' You don't see Cloud summoning Holy now do ya?

Even though she does get annoying at times with her goody two-shoe ways (hee hee...I always wanted to say that.:D ) and her tagging along with Cloud (not to mention flirting with him in front of Tifa) means that she sees Zack, since Cloud took the image of him, after the Nibelihiem (don't know if i spelled that right) incident. That's the main reason why she likes Cloud so much.

So not exactly overated...she just had a big part to play in the game.

§håd0w
10-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by FFboy4ever
grr...i cried when she died i was soo upset i stoped playing the game for almost a month!:mad:

Dude, you're such a loser. Get over it.

FFboy4ever
10-08-2003, 12:22 AM
i guess it was really the music that did it.. but still kinda dumb reason ha...

§håd0w
10-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Yeah, if the music wasn't there during the battle with Jenova, it wouldn't be as touching.

Nevermore
10-08-2003, 10:59 PM
The same when Nanaki finds out the truth about his father. If it wasn't for the muzak, I wouldn't have cried! Waha.

No really, there should be psychological study on this..turn the sound off next time an emotionally stirring part comes up in a vid, and see if it still affects you in the same way.