PDA

View Full Version : So, how 'bout that new system?

Blackmage
09-19-2003, 01:12 AM
I'm still very undecided about whether or not I like FFTA. There are some real good pluses, but there are also some major nuisances.

-What I Like-
1. I like the removal of charge time. That makes the battles less complicated to think through.
2. I like the mission system of this game; however, I hate having to pay gil just to advance in the story line, y'know?
3. You can control moogles. That just makes the game super-duper-awesome.
4. It still plays basically the same as the old game. That's a plus.

-What I Don't Like-
1. The Law/Prison system. This's has been more of a nuisance to me than anything else. Luckily, I've only managed to get 3 yellow cards on one character, which only happened because I forgot to check the laws, but I'm gonna really hate it when I get someone stuck in prison, I'm sure.
2. The ability system. This has good and bad, but mostly irritating. It's good to keep people like me from having masterful teams too early in the game. But, I think they made it an overly slow way of gaining abilities. Also, another key point for me, to take on new members to your clan, you'll haveta teach them abilities as well. Unfortunately, that means you've gotta keep all of your old stuff just so that you can teach them what they need to learn; you can't get them, use them while they're spiffy, then ditch 'em for gil for better equipment and keeping more easily organized with item lists.
3. The new job system. Once again, good and bad, mostly irritating. I really think humans should be able to be most of the jobs in the game, since they are the most versatile race of 'em all. (They can be black mages and white mages, why not let 'em be red mages? And correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't become lancers either, right?) Don't get me wrong, they shouldn't be able to be ALL classes, they should have access to a few more of them.

I just thought I'd post my comments on the game and its system. Feel free to debate, agree, whatever.

MagicKnight Locke
09-19-2003, 06:26 PM
if humans get all the jobs the game would be pretty boring...they already have the most jobs...

Kenshin IV
09-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Kuja Highwind
-What I Like-
1. I like the removal of charge time. That makes the battles less complicated to think through.
That's actually one of the biggest things I don't like about it. You're supposed to have to use your brain and strategize your moves. Advance is great, but it's also really simple, and the battles can be won without a lot of strategizing. Even for a Final Fantasy game it's incredibly easy. I think it was actually intended more for beginners of strategy RPGs. Which is fine, because it does work very well in that regard. It's definietly a great game, no question.
As for having to pay gil for missions, that's not really a problem. You get twice as much back for winning missions, and you always have more than enough when you want to buy items.
And as for the Laws and Job systems, the laws have never really been a problem for me. I don't hate them, but I don't love 'em. I think they were necessary for this perticular game, though. It adds a little bit of strategy back to it. Still have yet to get carded. I do have to disagree with you about the abilities. I think it's really easy and quick, a little too easy and quick, to gain new jobs and abilities. All you have to do is fight a lot of Clan battles, which I do anyway.