PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Magus/Janus ?

Emperor Grahf
09-19-2003, 02:51 PM
just wondered what you guys thinks of him. Personaly hs my favorite character,I never kill him with Glenn since it doesn't change anything till the end of the game anyway. I think the game should have covered more details about him,like his origins for one(he is some kind of prince or royal character I think,'cause hs the son of Zeal). Ok,now I would sure like to continue my speech but I can,t find the damn button spoilers...and i'm sure some people wouldn't want to know certain things about our floatin' and vampiric lookin' wizard.

edczxcvbnm
09-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Spoilers? The game is over 8 years old now. If you have not played the game by now TOO BAD! You had 8 years! If those people come into a thread like this not expecting spoilers then too bad.

ANYWAYS Magus as a story characters is pretty cool. Magus as a character in your party sucks. He just isn't a team player. He is quite possibly the worse character to put into your party because of it. The double techs add more options to the battle. Also according to story he is suppose to be killed. Thats what the show at the ending cinema. Glenn is in human form so you must have killed Magus.

Kindo
09-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Glenn only appears in human form if you killed Magus. Otherwise he's still a frog. And Magus doesn't suck in battle... sure, he doesn't have any dual techs, but his triple techs are incredibly powerful... and he's also an incredible powerhouse on his own. He doesn't really need teammates.

MagicKnight Locke
09-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
ANYWAYS Magus as a story characters is pretty cool. Magus as a character in your party sucks. He just isn't a team player. He is quite possibly the worse character to put into your party because of it. The double techs add more options to the battle. Also according to story he is suppose to be killed. Thats what the show at the ending cinema. Glenn is in human form so you must have killed Magus.

Magus doesnt suck...once he gets all of his single techs.Oh wow Lavos was like a small spider with magus/frog/crono :)

edczxcvbnm
09-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Kindo
Glenn only appears in human form if you killed Magus. Otherwise he's still a frog. And Magus doesn't suck in battle... sure, he doesn't have any dual techs, but his triple techs are incredibly powerful.

Those triple techs require that you use a stone. He only has 2 and you must have certain members in the party to do it. SUCKS.

Glenn appears in human form no matter what during the PSX animed ending...which tells us that magus is dead!

Outsider
09-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Magus is very useful, since in the end of the game I don't use much double/triple techs (It's very useful in low levels, cuz in the beggining it's stronger than single attacks, but at the end of the game, in most cases, you are wasting one attack). And Dark Matter is a damn good attack.

As a character, I think Magus is one of the greatest RPG playable characters ever... Maybe that's why I almost never kill him.

Imperia
09-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Magus is a GREAT character. Ever since I first saw him in action, I thought he was great. He's a great villain, AND a great ally. I also loved how much he cared for Schala.

Super Christ
09-20-2003, 04:26 AM
As a character, Magus was great. He had depth and motivation. The way he cared for his sister was a great plot point, and in fact seemed to make it better that she's the only person he cared for. He's quite worthy of having fans.

However, I think liking him because he's 'dark' is kind of a dumb reason to like him. And if he were real, I think he'd agree with me.

ForeverZeroUltima
09-21-2003, 05:03 AM
[SB]
ANYWAYS Magus as a story characters is pretty cool. Magus as a character in your party sucks. He just isn't a team player. He is quite possibly the worse character to put into your party because of it.

hey...don't start that again...remember me?

edczxcvbnm
09-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Yeah. I remember you. Seems as though Magus is a bad battle character...just not a team player.

Madonna
09-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Having him as a team player isn't really necessary; his magic makes him a powerful member to a party regardless. Better for him to deal out damage on his own, anyways; it's comparable to most dual techs and more attacks can be done in the same amount of time when he can't team up with another.

He was a great chracter. Everyone thought him an evil bastard, but the Monsters were the only ones who had his back, so when he took control, he took their cause. If he ended up in Guardia, it might have been different.

As for him dying in the end, that merely depends on your actions. Glenn's human? So what? I also see Magus flying around searching for Schala. Different endings.

edczxcvbnm
09-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Das Lynx
As for him dying in the end, that merely depends on your actions. Glenn's human? So what? I also see Magus flying around searching for Schala. Different endings.

NO YOU FREAKING FOOL! Did you even read what I put?

"Glenn appears in human form no matter what during the PSX animed ending..."

Thats the ending that happens no matter what. Thats not 'one of the endings' That IS the ending. It put to rest once and for all what was suppose to happen to everyone....umm....FOOL! How many times do I have to say it until it moves through everyone's Magus fetish here?

Just to comment on being a team player. It isn't always about doing damage. He doesn't have a single target attack spell and one team support spell(which is utterly useless because everyone is damn near 99 on magic defense at the end of the game). He just isn't as good as most of the other people in the game when it comes to battle.

Emperor Grahf
09-23-2003, 06:12 AM
Just get the hell out of my thread,if you don't like it Glenn lover !

edczxcvbnm
09-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Glenn lover? Maybe Crono because he is so dreamy :love:

Advent Child
09-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Grahf
Just get the hell pout of my thread,if you don't like it Gleen lover !
xD

go ed!

Kossage
09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Magus was an interesting villain and when I got him to my group... whoah! It was interesting to know more about Magus's history in Zeal Kingdom and such and it deepened his character a lot, IMHO. He just wasn't an evil wizard trying to destroy the whole world but had other interests. :D

Anyway, I didn't use him much as a party member though because I considered other characters better fighters. I used Magus in some minor parts of the game and I also used him to fight Lavos at the end of the game. I tried different party combinations to beat it so Magus was included too although I didn't pay so much attention to him. Magus just isn't much of a team player like some others have said in this thread. :p

Nakor TheBlue Rider
09-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Just a note to Ed .....I have the PSX to but I always considered it possible that Magus Just removed his spell from Glenn to make him Human again.

I thought it was a horrid mistake to have not Given Magus Double techs......

However....I could never and still cant......Bring myself to leave him out of my Party......I bring along a pair that has Duel techs I like and Magus acts as A LONE POWER HOUSE and also as my Item Man.

When used properly he can become a team player....But as a team player he certinaly has his HandiCap.....No Duel Techs......Thats just )SIC( !!!!

Emperor Grahf
09-26-2003, 04:04 PM
I totaly agree with you my friend,totaly,just by himself the dark wizard/warlord can beat most ennemies quite easily to say,nonttheleast.'Cept for Lavos of course,which is damn hard to beat with just Magus(assumin' your other two are dead)

Doomgaze
09-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Who needs double techs when you can just launch a barrage of Luminaries and Dark Matters?

Nakor TheBlue Rider
09-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Well thats Exactly Why I do Keep Magus in My Party....

Luminare
Dark Matter
And Then Marle To:
Haste
Cure 2
Life 2

and I occasionaly Like to do an Aura Whirl. :D

edczxcvbnm
09-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Nakor TheBlue Rider
Just a note to Ed .....I have the PSX to but I always considered it possible that Magus Just removed his spell from Glenn to make him Human again.

Why would he do that? Also if he was suppose to be alive they would have done something for him during the ending which they didn't.

If you guys want a power house you know who is better than Magus? Lucca. She has flare and if you put in Marle she can cure as well as help do the occasional Antipode 3 for MAD damage.

I like alya for the double charm.

I think the dual tech with frog and alya called 'Slurp kiss' should have been called 'French Kiss' XD

Sefie1999AD
09-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Magus is a cool character story-wise. His Fire/Ice/Lightnint 2 spells are nice to have, and he's got some really damaging techs, like Dark Matter and Omega Flare (requires Lucca, Robo and a Blue Stone too, but I use that combo a lot and it does 7000+ damage to everything).

Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
Glenn appears in human form no matter what during the PSX animed ending...which tells us that magus is dead!

I hate CT's PSX version. It's utter suckiness, with loading times, effects, sounds and about everything, and it's probably the worst PSX conversion ever made, second to nothing. Even FF6 PSX isn't that bad. And that Magus thing is what I especially hate. It really conflicts with whatever choices you've made. I always let Magus live, and CT SNES ending adapts to all the choices I've made. However, the PSX version shows you one stupid FMV that really messes with those choices. I let Magus live, so he lived and joined my party. He was alive even in the normal gameplay ending, and during the ending credits (Epoch flying around with "To Faraway Times" music), and Frog hadn't been turned into a human. Then this PSX extra FMV ruins it. Argh!

Oh, and the PSX ending thing also conflicts with Chrono Cross. There's a scene in CC where Lucca has written a message to Kid where she says that Janus aka Magus is searching for her. This proves that Square intended Magus to have survived in CT and still be alive in CC. However, the PSX ending is against this too. IMHO, Magus' story and the series would be a lot better if the PSX conversion was never done.

edczxcvbnm
09-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
Oh, and the PSX ending thing also conflicts with Chrono Cross. There's a scene in CC where Lucca has written a message to Kid where she says that Janus aka Magus is searching for her. This proves that Square intended Magus to have survived in CT and still be alive in CC. However, the PSX ending is against this too. IMHO, Magus' story and the series would be a lot better if the PSX conversion was never done.

Now I was waiting for someone to bring this up but noooooo, noone did or has until now. Why did it take so long people? I have been waiting :rolleyes2

I already thought of this and I agree that they contridict each other to a great extent. But ya know what? Who is to say that because of the altered time lines he didn't die in one of the worlds? That could make it work but would be an extremely crappy way to cover it up since both worlds become one again at the end. They just want to mess with your head.

I completely agree with you on the port of Chrono Trigger on PSX. That was god awful. Maybe if they actually recoded the game when they were doing it instead of making a shitty emulator then it would have been good.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
09-30-2003, 10:37 AM
so If Magus Lived then it IS possible he removed the Curse From Glenn.

Emperor Grahf
09-30-2003, 04:29 PM
But he question is why would he do so ? He just like to piss-off Glenn damn too much,don't he ?

ForeverZeroUltima
10-01-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Grahf
But he question is why would he do so ? He just like to piss-off Glenn damn too much,don't he ?

then why didn't they fight while Magus was in your party, then? I mean, when you party gets together (forest, ending, maybe End of Time)

edczxcvbnm
10-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Nakor TheBlue Rider
so If Magus Lived then it IS possible he removed the Curse From Glenn.

I would say probably not. Some spells that wizards cast can only be undone when that person is killed. I think they kind of said that when you killed magus or go up against him.

Emperor Grahf
10-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ForeverZeroUltima
then why didn't they fight while Magus was in your party, then? I mean, when you party gets together (forest, ending, maybe End of Time)

Search me ! This matter,i'm afraid,is very complex...

:rolleyes2

Super Christ
10-02-2003, 09:20 PM
That's because Magus just doesn't care.

Frog definitely holds a grudge, however, I'd be willing to bet that Magus even forgot about him until they showed up at his castle. Magus just doesn't care about anyone but Schala, so Frog isn't even a concern to him. Magus just doesn't seem to be the type to waste his breath squabbling with Frog, or even waste his energy by carrying some kind of vendetta against him.

Frog, on the other hand, probably had a tough time holding it in. But did because it was the knightly thing to do.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Maybey it was one of those spells that could be removed by the wizard or from the wizards death......

Could be.....

master01
10-09-2003, 06:59 PM
magus is THE greates thing after shotguns!!!

and if you try to see it, hes actually vegita from dragon ball z (well, lets see, in the anime verision hes looks like vegita, he talks like vegita, he the same type of char as vegita, and there both are akira toriama's creation)

sorry,

my english sucks...

Emperor Grahf
10-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Your english sucks ? Bha,it not THAT bad...you speak french like me then ? Tu parle francais ? I personaly thinks he's more like Piccolo,but I gotta admit he's as arrogant if not MORE then Vegeta.

master01
10-22-2003, 07:24 PM
sorry, not french, israelik.
my ingleash (have i wrote that right?) is so bad that i had to change that replay over and over (and over and over but, how's counting?) again.

picollo? no, i still say his more like vegita, and i siriusly think that is more logical that he is the father of trunks... (purple, long, cat, aahhh, hair!).

no matter, he's still cool...

Prince-magus
10-26-2003, 01:08 AM
MAYBE magus had an attack of consince. in the psx version. he is human you know.

Garland
10-30-2003, 02:46 AM
Luminaire, Dark Matter, Flare and Shock - any three of those are more powerful in a round than a single triple tech or a dual tech/single tech. I use team attacks in the beginning of the game when my characters are weak and teaming up is actually worth the effort. When Magus joins the team, that phase is over. The time for team players is past. By the end of the game, it's all about the above mentioned super techs. That's why Magus is a valuable member to my team.

He's valuable, but I still think he's overrated. For some reason, people have a draw towards dark brooding types. Magus is wildly popular. Vincent, Dark Knight Cecil, Kain, Cloud, Squall, Auron - every RPG seems to have one, and they always steal the show. In FFXI, everyone and their brother is aspiring to be a Dark Knight, Dragoon or Ninja. I think Magus's only true claim to fame is that he's a dark antihero that everyone likes these days.

Outsider
10-30-2003, 03:23 AM
I really like some of the characters you mentioned, but not because they are dark... I think that liking a character only beacause he's "dark" is a dumb reason. It's like when someone likes a character because he has long hair...

I like well-developed characters, with good backgrounds and personalities, and I happen to like some sad histories....

Magus is great because of his history, raised by mystics, he became their hero, and a menace for humans... But he doesn't care about that, he only wants to find Schala, and lay his revenge upon Lavos. And he has a great personality, he's awesome...

Kain wasn't really dark, but I loved the way he's loyal to his good friend, but envies him for his position at the Red Wingss and for the love of Rosa... So he falls to the Dark side, it's great too...And Cecil was a villain, tricked by the King to do his evil deeds, used for his loyalty to Baron, but he regrets and fight against it all, that's what I call a good history.

Now Squall lacks everything they have. He's only a dumbass without a real purpose, he's "dark" only because it's "cool". Pfff...

PETE
03-15-2004, 05:46 PM
maby Magus did lift the curse of glenn cuz he helped magus destroy lavos.

or in the end of the game it shows Magus return to the year 12000BC i think after 12600 years Magus is gonna be dead.
wich in turn turns glenn back to human.[OF TOPIC] wich then stupidly leaves his Masamune somewere so people can steal it in the year 1005AD [BACK ON TOPIC]

how he is in Radicle Dreamers well at least thats what i heard. i dont know maby he is so powerfull he can travel time now or sumthing?

MAGUS IS THE ULTIMATE CHARECTER!!!!

I always put him in the lead of my party.
Magus, Crono, Glenn.

and his theme song is so cool!
he may not be a team player with dual and triple techs *triples can only be done by Magus with stones*

the only bad thing about Magus is that none of his skill are
PHYSICAL so if ur fighting a magic absorbing monster.
but hey yougot a scythe :)

Del Murder
03-15-2004, 06:00 PM
This discussion was over 5 months ago.