PDA

View Full Version : Is FF6 any good?

blue_midget192
09-20-2003, 10:59 AM
i know that this is a FF6 forum and as such is full of people who like FF6, but i want an opinion based on the story, game play, graphics (in game and movie), how easiy it is to control etc. if any one can give me an opinion baed on these things, it woulde be good as i am thinking of buying it.

Spatvark
09-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Story: Starts off kinda slowly but gets better and better as the game goes on, right until the pivotal point in the game where it all falls to pieces.

Gameplay: It's fairly simplistic, as most of the FF games have been; the key is the storyline and the characterisations really. However, there is some room to come up with several fairly nifty equipment combinations to make characters become godly and with the different abilities of each character varying quite a bit in some cases (Sabin's Blitzes, Cyan's Swordtechs and Gau's Rages for example). There are also bundles of secrets hidden away in the game to keep you playing for quite a while.

Graphics: Bearing in mind I've only played this on my SNES, I can't really comment on the PSX version. However, for the older version, the sprites are fairly good-looking and some of the backgrounds are amazing; not to mention how funky the map is when riding chocobo's or flying aboard the airship. I'd say they're fairly good, but I dunno if you'll like them. Remember, FF6 was back before the days of 3D graphics really, so it's all 2D.

Accessability: I'd say it's fairly easy, though the Esper system confused the hell out of me my first time through, and the first boss has managed to stump more than just a few people. I'd say it's pretty easy to get to grips with playing it, but the beginning of the game is very slow. It doesn't really take off until you finish the section in Zozo; until that point, I find it really boring personally.

Overall: It's a great game in places, but in others it's severely lacking. Definitely a masterpiece, albeit a flawed one. I'd say it's worth it for the sake of actually being able to say that's you've played and completed FF6, but don't be surprised if you find that you absolutely hate it. I'd recommend you rent it first =S

Kenshin IV
09-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Final Fantasy VI is not just one of the greatest RPGs ever made, but one of the greatest games ever made. I <3 it. And there isn't much difference between the PSX and SNES versions. A couple of new FMVs and a more flashy way of entering battle. They do give you some art galleries, which is cool, but then it also has load times, which is really why I much prefer playing the SNES version.

Kindo
09-20-2003, 05:20 PM
If it weren't for the loading times, the PSX versions would be nothing but better.

The Man
09-20-2003, 08:03 PM
it was my favourite game ever until I played seiken densetsu 3, so yes, it's good.

Spatvark pretty much summed up more or less what I'd have said, I think. Except I actually like the second half of the game.

i90east
09-20-2003, 10:47 PM
I'll copy & paste my post from another forum. I was quite upset at people saying things like (the topic was "which FF is the best?"):

"ffIX is by far the worst in the ff series. Its between VII or IX"

"hmmmm ethier 8 or 10 I really on't know"

"I think it's prebably a tie between 7, 8, and 10..."

"Either Tactics or VIII. *Shrug*"

"FFX is the best... *YUNA!YUNA!YUNA!*** FFVIII is a close second, though. *swoons over Squall*"

Here's my post. Sorry if it's a bit long. Here we go...

I'll post my evaluation of the top FF games in my opinion. I encourage others to do the same. If you like a certain FF so much, why? Simply stating that you like one FF over another doesn't say much.

For those of you who don't mention FF6, have you played it? How could anyone here say that FF6 is not first or second? The game set the foundation for FF7, and was a huge leap in the series. Overall I think it provides the best experience. It looks like Square out did themselves with this game, and hasn't been able to match the quality of FF6 since (FF7 was a very good attempt). I can see how some could say FF7 was better... in my mind it's certainly close. But to say that FF8 or FFX is better than 6, you must be out of your mind.

I think of it as the FF mountain. The series began and built up until it peaked at 6 & 7, then it's been downhill ever since. I think FFX is the worst of them all. Not even great graphics can save that game. I know a lot of people that agree.

Here are my FF awards:
Story: FF6 & FF7 (tie)
Characters: FF6 & FF7 (tie)
Gameplay: FF6
Music: FF6
Atmosphere: FF6
Graphics: FFX

FF6: 5 awards
FF7: 2 awards
FFX: 1 award

Story: Both games had great stories that were both fun, intense and dramatic. *edited for spoiler content* FF7 was more serious, while FF6 was more cheerful. Both were great. It's too close to call.

Characters: FF6 had so many good characters that were colorful in their personalities such as Sabin, Gau, Cyan, Edgar, Locke, Celes, Terra, Shadow, Relm, General Leo, and of course Kefka. What a great variety, one of which no other FF can match. But no one can forget the names Cloud, Sephiroth, Aeris, and Tifa, who were the most significant characters in the great story that made up FF7. So this one is also a toss up.

Gameplay: FF6 wins here. *edited for spoiler content* There were also tons cool relics and espers to collect, along with some secret weapons and sheilds. All characters had unique fighting abilities that were usable throughout the game, and 4 characters allow for bigger battles with more variety. You also had the innovative esper system, allowing you to teach spells of choice to any characters you wanted. With all of this taken into consideration, this game gives you a whole bunch of freedom to do whatever you want, especially later in the game. There is just so much to do. FF7 lacked in optional side quests, forcing you to do the next thing in the story. FFX is even worse.

Music: This one is a no brainer. Nobuo Uematsu put his best stuff into FF6. People are still buying up the various soundtracks to this game (FF6 is the most popular in the piano collections series). So many tracks are unforgettable. Websites hosting video game music remixes have more songs done for FF6 than any other FF (although FF7 isn't far behind). The music is one of the key things that puts FF6 over the top. It greatly enhances the total atmosphere of the game. It's just too bad that the SNES wasn't the best home for all of this great work. But that's why the soundtracks are so popular.

Atmosphere: There is an overwhelming amount of locations and scenes throughout the story. In this game you go everywhere, including *(I listed 30 different locales here)* *More stuff edited for spoiler content* The mood of this game is upbeat and cheerful most of the time, with just the right amount of tragedy and sadness. The theme is not centered around gloom and doom like so many other games these days.

Graphics: Well obviously FFX is gonna take this one. It's just about the only good thing about the game in my opinion. It's more proof that graphics alone don't make a game good. Square spent so much time on graphics that they forgot about gameplay. But obviously that hasn't stopped the masses from running out and buying FFX. The Final Fantasy series is turning into a hype machine. But anyway I'm getting off the subject. This graphics are better than any other game in the series. Very impressive.

Overall: With all of these things taken into consideration, FF6 provides the best experience hands down. FF7 does provide a challenge but fails to overcome. There must be too many young gamers out there who only caught onto the series when FF7 or FFX came out. The sad thing is, they missed the best game. Where were you in 1994?

Xander
09-21-2003, 09:00 PM
I've started FFVI twice and it hasn't managed to completely grasp me yet. I don't know why ^^ I like the graphics, music, characters and everything but for some reason it's taking me a while to get hooked.
First time I played about 10 hours, second time about 15.. I got a lot of espers and then got bored :p

It's an enjoyable game (so far) and I wanna finish it one day but maybe it's just not my FFVI time right now :p

Outsider
09-21-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Xander
I've started FFVI twice and it hasn't managed to completely grasp me yet. I don't know why ^^ I like the graphics, music, characters and everything but for some reason it's taking me a while to get hooked.
First time I played about 10 hours, second time about 15.. I got a lot of espers and then got bored :p

It's an enjoyable game (so far) and I wanna finish it one day but maybe it's just not my FFVI time right now :p

FF6 is a great game (it's my favorite game, btw), but the first time I played it, I only got really interested on it after I got out the Magitek Factory... It's when the history gets really great.

Strider
09-23-2003, 09:59 PM
As if it was ever a question! Of course it's good.

Gau
10-08-2003, 12:38 PM
the game is good it is one of the best ones I have ever played

Edgar
10-08-2003, 12:58 PM
I think there's a person in EoFF here that is making a harder version and I remember he has a Gau avatar or something. I'm eagarly looking forward to downloading and btw, I'm currently playing my 7 8th FFVI game :D

i90east
10-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Hi Edgar, that'd be me. I'm sorry to keep you all waiting. Hopefully you'll be entertained until I'm done :)