PDA

View Full Version : ePSXe colour depth

Erdrick Holmes
09-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Whenever I play FFVII on ePSXe the color depth looks like pure shizz. Whenver I set the clor depth the 32 bit ePSXe wont start, I have my display settings to 32 bit on my windows settings. What can I do to remedy this?

crono_logical
09-24-2003, 09:41 PM
720x576 isn't exactly a normal resolution to be using, to be honest :p

Start at 640x480 and see if that works, and if so, work up through the standard resolutions since they're more likely to work (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x1200) untill you feel it's high enough and still producing an acceptable frame rate. This is assuming you insist on using fullscreen. I personally prefer using windows, and use 960x720 for everything in epsxe, if only because it's exactly 3x the native PSX resolution, so stretching an image is simplified for the card, and I'm less likely to get distortion (although is stil happens for some games, but there's an option to force the ratio to stay the same in the GFX plugin anyway).

Also make sure you have a least DX7 installed if you're using that plugin, otherwise try the OpenGL version instead (which I prefer). Your also appear to have an old version of the plugin, looking at the stuff in that screenshot :p

What are your PC specs, by the way? That might also be limiting what epsxe can do :p

Erdrick Holmes
09-24-2003, 09:47 PM
About 600 mhz, Voodoo 3 graphics card, 256 mb SD RAM.

crono_logical
09-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Voodoo 3 is yuck, I think you may have to use Pete's software plugin (or try OpenGL first and see if that works if you really want the 3D accelerated goodness :p ) I find software video runs at full framerate full screen on a 450 MHz machine, so that's not a problem :p To be honest, it's the graphics card in your system that's the bottleneck in performance for ePSXe :p

Erdrick Holmes
09-24-2003, 10:00 PM
No see the 3D models display nicely but the backgrounds look like shite in a can. Look at the models in this screen onf FF7, they look ok, they move fluently, but the background is all pixelated, It' looks better when I play it on my PSX but I left it at my uncles.

EDIT: I Used the Petes Open GL plugin but it doesn't even start.

crono_logical
09-24-2003, 10:16 PM
That looks perfectly normal to me :p Remember the textures are drawn for a 320x240 screen, not a resolution much much higher, so of course it's gonna pixelate :p

You could try using texture filtering (though I recommend against it, makes horrid halos around all the 2D backgrounds etc and is a slowdown too), or change the Hi-Res Textures to 2x-Sai of the 2x stretch, those do a much better job than normal texture filtering, but that too is a slowdown. I'd leave it as it is though, looks fine to me :p

Erdrick Holmes
09-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Ok well then as I play FFVII or VIII as I am in a battle and the polygon count is high the game slows down to an annoying speed, is there a specific plugin or plugin settings I can use to remedy this?