PDA

View Full Version : Particular Desktop Icons.

Shoyku
09-26-2003, 01:13 AM
I've been browsing a few other fora, and noticed this one desktop thread that I chose to look around in. Someone had this awesome desktop with these cool, yet simple icons. I've attached the picture of the desktop, so if anyone can either create icons to look like those, or know where to find those exact ones it would be greatly appreciated.

Meow
09-26-2003, 02:17 AM
My guess would be that it's a recoding of some Linux GUI, or perhaps a personal build. i doubt you could pull off those text-links-as-icons in something like windows. Or anything that isn't open source, for that matter. *avoiding Win-centrism*

Point is, i don't know that there's any truly "easy" way to pull that off, unless anyone knows of a precoded desktop setup out there on the 'net or something.

wax
09-26-2003, 04:30 AM
Well, you could go into photoshop, or whatever you use, and make icon sized images that are just text. Then use an icon creation program (I use microangelo) to convert the pics into icons. Alternately, you could disable all the icons on your desktop, then create a webpage as your desktop, and just use HTML protocols to link to programs and stuff. It's possible to do, just a little difficult.

you can see a webpage on the desktop in action here (http://portfolio.iu.edu/trrwilso/SASHOT.jpg) (the links under the grenade are a on a locally stored webpage)

Meow
09-26-2003, 04:58 AM
Ah, i stand corrected. The "view as webpage" setting struck me as <i>so</i> annoying and <i>so</i> long ago, i forgot it existed. Who would have thought it'd ever be useful? :)

wax
09-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Yeah, I just recently re-discovered it, it works best with a small locally stored page, and you have to lock it on the desktop to keep it from looking cluttered, but it can work pretty well