As a thought

Best = F+F+BM+WM

Worst = WM+WM+WM+WM

fei
10-01-2003, 06:10 AM
wm+wm+Bm+wm

Zifnab
10-01-2003, 09:08 AM
I'd say BM + BM + BM + BM would be much worse. They can't heal and their HP and defence is rock bottom.

katana
10-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Yeah, all black mage would suck. For one thing, youd end up only having enough to afford magic for a couple of them, and when they run out, well, its time to stab the enemy with tiny kives.
My best party was Fighter, Red Mage, Thief, Black Mage.

Mr. Graves
10-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Er, Fighter/Red Mage/BB/White Mage.

Worst party?? Probably four BBs/Monks. Unne's site has the full scoop behind that.

Disch
10-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Best: FT/FT/FT/RM or FT/FT/FT/FT... too close to tell

Worst unpromoted party: TH/TH/TH/TH
Worst promoted party: WW/WW/WW/WW

muchacho
10-20-2003, 01:07 PM
the best kn,kn,tf,rm.
the worst 4 bm

omnitarian
10-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Er, Fighter/Red Mage/BB/White Mage.

w00t.

I couldn't imagine using a party of Thief quintuplets. At least white mages can heal.

IRECKONBO
10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Worst party?? Probably four BBs/Monks. Unne's site has the full scoop behind that.

I have read that scoop at his site and i have to say that it is pretty stupid. He really has no idea what he is talking about. I have tried that party and basically everything he says is wrong.

By Dr.UnneIf you like Black Belts I guess this is an OK party. It is cheap, I give it that. You'll need that money for the thousands of gallons of heal potions you'll go through during this game. Also plan to become a regular at the local Clinic.

Umm this is not true. During my exp with this party i had to use just as much heal potions in this party as i ever do with any other party (except for FT/FT/FT/FT) and i only died a few times, and those few times happend because of RUB and other instant death attacks. I didnt overlevel either. I beat the bosses and dungeons at normal lvls.

By Dr.Unne
You'll be able to fight OK though, once you get to Elfland and you can start using your fists; before then, you just have to pray. But for the whole game, the BBs' defense sucks, big time. BBs have no magic, so they can't heal themselves, and they also can't use magic to kill large groups of enemies, and they can't run as well as thieves; in other words, you get to stand around and look dumb while monsters use your party for target practice.

What do you mean OK? The BB have great attack power. Well in the begging it is a little crappy but once you get to lvl 8 they get a lot better. Once they get to lvl 15 they will take A LOT of dmg, and at the end of the game at lvl 27 (the lvl i beat it at) they will easily do 400-600 dmg. Their defense isnt that bad either, yes its not as good as a Knight or a ninja but it is better then everyone else. Plus they get high HP to make up for it. Now they may not have the best defense in the game but they DO have the best Magic Defense (an invisible stat). The part about magic is true, it does suck that they do not get any magic but thats why there are items like the Zues glove, heal staff, defense sword....
The part about the thief being better at running away is true on the NES version but on the PSX version the BB is just as good at running.

By DR.UnneSo be prepared to drag a couple corpses around with you 90% of the game. If by some chance you manage to make it to class change with this party, well, you get a huge reward of NOTHING, because BBs don't get anything from class change. But on the bright side, your sprite becomes uglier. Wait... sorry, that's not a bright side. There is no bright side to this party. You'll probably find that you depsperately need the magic-casting items you get later in the game, but those don't make up for the pitiful lack of magic in this party. I think I'd rather take a party of four elderly groundhogs than take a party of four BB's, to be honest.

Like i said earlier, i hardly died with this party. Actuall the BB do get a difference after class change. Before class change they use to get a +4 magic defense per lvl as a master they get a +3. Its not a good change but its still something.:mad:

Mr. Graves
10-21-2003, 12:19 AM
He didn't say that it wasn't possible to beat the game w/ 4 BBs. I believe his point was that the game can get pretty freaking boring, since none of the BBs can use magic ever, and has to rely solely on HEAL potions to heal themselves. I'm assuming you've only tried that party with the NES version, since you use terms like 'lvl' and 'damage'. You really should try the four BB party on the PSX version. (On Normal mode, of course.)

The BB is an awesome character, but too much of a good thing goes sour, IMO.

IRECKONBO
10-21-2003, 02:15 AM
I never said that he said that it is impossible since no party is impossible (unless you handicap them). I was saying how he is wrong when he said how horrible it was. But yeah i have beaten it on the PSX version too. A long with an equiped solo Black Belt at lvl 32.

oh yeah i forgot to list my best/worst party....

Best IMO - FT/TH/BB/RM
Worst - TH/TH/TH/TH unclasschange

Materia Keeper
10-21-2003, 03:30 AM
I have read Unne's, ah, opinion of four Black Belts and I disagree. I believe Ireckonbo has covered all the big reasons why it rocks so badly, so I won't do any repeating.

Besides, Unne's biased.:p

As for the best party, I would have to say

Fighter:Black Belt:White Mage:Black Mage

You get to use Xcalaber, freaking huge 10 hits, all the curative magic you like and nuke crap all over the place if the two guys in fronnt don't suit your fancy as death dealers.

As for the worst, if you exclude one person parties, I would say 4 thieves. Not because I'm just as biased as Unne, but also cause they just plain suck. Put everything anout the black belts downsides down here. They can cast Black Magic(which you can get with items anyway), and they sure can run away like mad, but I don't think thatrunning from Chaos would work too well, especially due to the fact that's he's sorta immortal, you know?

jcasper13
11-26-2009, 06:10 PM
my favorite would be M+M+M+RM
the worst i can think of is all teives the do no damage at all

Flying Mullet
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
He didn't say that it wasn't possible to beat the game w/ 4 BBs. I believe his point was that the game can get pretty freaking boring, since none of the BBs can use magic ever, and has to rely solely on HEAL potions to heal themselves. I'm assuming you've only tried that party with the NES version, since you use terms like 'lvl' and 'damage'. You really should try the four BB party on the PSX version. (On Normal mode, of course.)

The BB is an awesome character, but too much of a good thing goes sour, IMO.
Agreed. There are no parties which cannot beat the game, but there sure are parties which are boring and tedious to do so with; four Black Belts being at the top of this list.

Raistlin
11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree. Magic is too much fun to give up completely.

And of course, BBs suck. (hey, someone has to say it since Unne isn't here anymore)

Darth Cid
11-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Best: BM-WM-FT-TH

Worst: BB-BB-BB-BB

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Agreed with Darth Cid.

Except, in the best, I'd replace WM with RM.

Raistlin
12-01-2009, 02:02 AM
I like using the Thief for balance, but really, the Thief (in the NES version) is just a dumbed-down Fighter that gets black magic instead of white after class change. I think two Fighters is overall superior. So I'd say my best party would be FT-FT-WM-BM.

Quindiana Jones
12-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Wow. Epic revive here. Nice work.

Best: FT - BB - WM - BM has been my favourite party so far. I started with FT - RM - TH - WM and hated it, so that would be my worst party in terms of least favourite.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Meh. I like Thief BECAUSE of the black magic after class change.
I used to like BB more than Thief but then I realized: No extra black magic at my disposal.
Crums.

eestlinc
12-01-2009, 07:18 AM
pretty much any party with two fighters is the best party. I like Fi-Fi-WM-WM.

I am going to leave the old revival because it is worth digging some things up. :elk:

Flying Mullet
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I didn't even notice this thread was revived. xD

Sharpe
12-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Any parties with two fighters will decimate. FT-FT-WM-BM is probably the best. When I was a kid, I think the first party I beat the game with was FT-RM-WM-BM.

I had a lot of fun last time I played with RW-BW-BW-BW. I stopped as I was leveling for the final battle, but I can't wait to unleash three NUKEs in a row on some poor, poor thing. When I get strong enough, I'm going to try for Warmech. The RW is just the meat shield and does little good other than he can bring back a dead character.

When you get the two heal helmets, the Zeus gauntlet, the light hammer, the black shirt, and the mage staff, the use of spell-slingers becomes somewhat diminished.

Kyros
12-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I'll probably be playing this game soon. Ive never gotten too far into it (much less beaten it), but I've been meaning to for some time now. Also since its my first time playing through I'd like to run 4 different classes instead of more than one of a certain class just so I can experience the game more (at least thats how I look at it). I'm thinking of running :

Thief - Fighter - Red Mage - Monk

It's a melee heavy group, but the red mage can cover me until I hit promotions where the thief gets black magic and the fighter gets white magic when he promotes. Does this seem manageable?

Quindiana Jones
12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I didn't even notice this thread was revived. xD

Haha i r l33t

Mystik_Ninja
12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll probably be playing this game soon. Ive never gotten too far into it (much less beaten it), but I've been meaning to for some time now. Also since its my first time playing through I'd like to run 4 different classes instead of more than one of a certain class just so I can experience the game more (at least thats how I look at it). I'm thinking of running :

It's a melee heavy group, but the red mage can cover me until I hit promotions where the thief gets black magic and the fighter gets white magic when he promotes. Does this seem manageable?

Make sure to play the NES version. Then later on you will have a good base to compare all the remakes and other versions to.

Quindiana Jones
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM

For the record, don't put them in that order. Fighter first, then Monk, then Red Mage, then Thief.

*Laurelindo*
12-31-2009, 11:39 PM
I've recently grown very fond of the party Fighter/Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage.
All characters can deal good damage with physical weapons, plus the fourth one is a Red Mage and therefore knows a repertoire of white and black magic.
I think this is one of the best parties, and definitely one of the most enjoyable ones.

The worst party is probably four Thiefs, because while the White Mages are weaker, at least they can heal themselves and use EXIT.

black orb
01-01-2010, 12:04 AM
>>> "Cheap/non-Cheap FF1 party", I think thats a better title for this thread..:luca:
The one thats good or bad is the player itself..

VeloZer0
01-06-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm going to go with
Fighter - Fighter - Red Mage - White Mage

I don't like Theives, because imho they are rather useless until class changes, and after class change still aren't quite as good as Knights, same thing for monks. I find the second party member gets hit enough it is really handy to have a second tank in there as well.

As for the last two, I found Black Mages woefully under powered in this game. By the end of the game all my Back Wizard was doing was using cure helm every turn. Not to mention in virtualy all versions of the game a Black Mage does no more magic damage than a Red Mage.

I found the only time Black Mages are highly useful is in the beginning of the game, for Fire2, and a little later on for Haste. Red Mages can cast them both. And seeing as a Red Mage can do most of the Black Mages usefulness to me, and obviously excels in every other area, it isn't a tough choice.

I pick a White Mage over a Red Mage for the last spot solely because of Exit.

Yeah, I would have to go either 4 x Theif or 4 x Black Belt for worst party, because as stated, at least White Mages can heal.

Raistlin
01-06-2010, 02:04 AM
The masses have spoken (http://ffclassic.net/parties), and BB/BB/BB/BB is by far the worst party.

Evastio
01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Best: Warrior, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage

With this team you can equip every spell (though not all at once because of the three spell slot limit for each level) and every weapon and armor in the game (excluding bonus dungeon equipment). It's also really good when it comes to variety (two fighters and two mages, two white magic and two black magic users).

Worst (taking into account the fact that I don't consider solo, duo, triplet teams or repeats of characters in the same team): Thief, Red Mage, Monk, Black Mage

I've used this team twice and I guess it's still rather balanced. The reason I consider it the worst is because the Warrior and White Mage are extremely vital early on in the game (Warrior for being at the front taking all the hits, white mage for being able to access vital curing magic and status ailment healing spells). Also, there's a lot of really good equipment that remains specific to the Knight, even after getting a Ninja (especially stuff like Excalibur and the Dragon Mail). As for the white wizard, the red wizard won't be able to use spells that are really vital in a pinch (such as Full Life and Healaga).

I was wanting to make a thread exactly like this, except with my "full team of four and no repeats of classes" rule, but I guess I'll save that one for later since this thread is active.

Toni
08-14-2010, 08:12 AM
I think... the worst for me... (back in the day... I had bad experiences.) Is probably 4 fighters. I really like having a fighter, red mage, white mage, and black mage. :D I think that's the best for me! :3

Mystik_Ninja
08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
How about the best: F/F/BB/RM

So much power you won't know what to do with it all. It lacks healing at the beginning, but the defense is also very good. When the black belt reaches level 10 this party will begin to roll over things. It is very easy to level and progresses through the game quickly.

Toni
08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
How about the best: F/F/BB/RM

So much power you won't know what to do with it all. It lacks healing at the beginning, but the defense is also very good. When the black belt reaches level 10 this party will begin to roll over things. It is very easy to level and progresses through the game quickly.

I like your signature.

ScottyRedXIII
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
i'm doing my 1st play through and went with F+T+WM+BM....... did i fail?

Toni
08-17-2010, 11:35 PM
i'm doing my 1st play through and went with F+T+WM+BM....... did i fail?

Not quite. I think you can have your own party the way you want it. Nothing can stop you from beating the game. In fact, the ninja's pretty decent. (In the GBA version I remember, but I don't know about the PS1 or NES versions.)
I remember that with my boyfriend, that was our first party together. Then I said, actually, the Red Mage has the ability to use the Silver Sword (Mythril in PS1) that you get from Elfheim... so let's just use him... the Marsh Caves suck... So we started over. (Now we have a role play with these characters. Yes... I'm a nerd.)

VeloZer0
08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Thieves are WAY worse in the NES and PS1 versions of the game than in the GBA version. Black Mages were also not nearly as good.

Toni
08-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Thieves are WAY worse in the NES and PS1 versions of the game than in the GBA version. Black Mages were also not nearly as good.

I never took a game with at thief nearly as far in the NES, so I really don't know. <_<

theundeadhero
08-19-2010, 03:23 AM
On the NES Thieves/Ninjas are completely useless compared to other classes you could take instead.

My favorite is Fi/Bb/Rm/Wm.

Bb/Bb/Bb/Bb was a really fast and easy playthrough.

VeloZer0
08-19-2010, 06:48 AM
I was reading an extremely funny thread about someone who tried a solo thief challenge on an NES emulator. He had to be lv29 to kill Astos, and even then only managed it with repeatedly loading save states to get lucky with crits. After which he just gave up.

HSUP B TCELES - Let's Play FF1! Again! - The Return of Talking Time (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=720326#post720326)

Toni
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
On the NES Thieves/Ninjas are completely useless compared to other classes you could take instead.

My favorite is Fi/Bb/Rm/Wm.

Bb/Bb/Bb/Bb was a really fast and easy playthrough.

Heh. Oh well! Poor Thief. You know what they are good for? Running away. <_<

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Thieves are definetly the worst class. Crappy gear, stats, lack of versatility and offer nothing to the party until the class change. Even then, the Ninja is a pretty sad class who at best is a Warrior with crappy black magic. I think they slide by with fans cause their class change just happens to be Ninja but quite frankly, they are the worst version of the Ninja class in the series as well.

Ninja's are not terrible but I don't feel the trade off is worth handicapping yourself with the Thief character through the first half.

Best Team would probably be WAR/WHM/RDM/WAR or throw in a BB to replace one of the WAR if you want an easy and fast game since you won't be needlessly grinding for equipment.

Worst would probably be either a whole party of White Mages or a team of Theives with a Black mage, leaving you with a defensively weak party with no healer and only modest means of doing damage.

VeloZer0
08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Best Team would probably be WAR/WHM/RDM/WAR or throw in a BB to replace one of the WAR if you want an easy and fast game since you won't be needlessly grinding for equipment.
We actually agree on something. Though your character order leaves room for improvement :D

Heh. Oh well! Poor Thief. You know what they are good for? Running away. <_<
Actually they don't have any higher success running away than any other class. That's just a myth.

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
I wasn't paying attention to order. :p

theundeadhero
08-23-2010, 02:17 AM
That, and the only time you should ever consider running is against a group of sorcerers in the ice cave.

Toni
08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Actually they don't have any higher success running away than any other class. That's just a myth.

I do believe luck has something to do with it. But meh. That myth stood true for the time I used it. He got me out of a butt-ton of bad situations. But then again, I never used him that much... :P

VeloZer0
08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Luck has everything to do with it, but the probability is the same for all classes. When I first played FF I read that the Thief ran away at a higher rate and was ripping out my hair because he actually had a lower success rate than everyone else. (Also due to random fluctuations)

Toni
08-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Huh. I didn't know. All I knew is that he had blue hair, and that he got me out of a lot of craptastic situations. Then again... so did the Black Mage... <_<
Isn't it odd that the Red Mage has black hair on the over world? I always found it strange. There's probably a logical explanation for that... Then again... if not... my childhood wonder will never be solved, and I will forever remain in ponderous thought... Which isn't so bad really...

RedMageRyder
10-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Well I'm not sure what the BEST party would be. But I am satisfied with my team consisting of a fighter named Dave, a thief called Mike, a Red Mage called Ryder ( ;) ) and a Black Mage called Shadow. Haven't had much trouble with this team, although Shadow is kind of a wimp when he doesn't use magic. In case you didn't read my post, I haven't played any version of any FF game in years except for Final Fantasy Adventure on the Game Boy, which I got back in 2007 after watching a gameplay video of it on YouTube (I don't really play RPGs that much except for Phantasy Star and some other SEGA RPGs).

Jiro
10-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Hey RedMageRyder! We typically don't revive threads this old, but there's generally a bit of interest in best/worst party based threads if you want to start a new one!