PDA

View Full Version : Running VI in Windows XP Pro?

-N-
09-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Anyone know if I can somehow practice VI (the ancient UNIX text editor) on my Windows machine?

Flying Mullet
09-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Why would you want to inflict such misery on yourself?

If you do want to practice VI, you can use Putty, then telnet to an existing Unix box and play around that way.

crono_logical
09-29-2003, 09:23 PM
www.cygwin.com

Basically a virtual linux system that runs within Windows alongside everything else, including a bash shell, XWindows for graphic based linux programs, and even a Gnome port somewhere too if you look hard enough :p I've actually edited my PATH variabled for Windows, so I can run some of the tools form a DOS box rather than a bash prompt :p

I can't seem to find vi, but vim is present, that's kind of like an improved vi. Just watch the disk space, the installer and installed stuff is over 1 GB on my disk, but I have installed a heck of a lot more than just the shell and vim :p

Dr Unne
09-29-2003, 11:14 PM
vim can be run in vi-compatible mode. I'm pretty sure vim is a superset of vi. You should use vim anyways, it's much better, from what I can tell. :) Get gvim, I'm pretty sure there's a Windows version. gvim = vim + gui. http://www.vim.org/download.php