PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell needs blue magic?

GenjiLeisureSuit
09-29-2003, 11:11 PM
I used to be a huge blue magic cat... then I realized I don't need it. All the spells are useless, save a choice few:

Lv. 5 Doom - Good for beating a few choice bosses, but they're easy to beat in themselves. I doubt anyone had any trouble with Adaman T., and LVD only kills the launchers of the Sol Cannon, who can be beaten with just a few simple bolttechs or a couple of target-all bolt spells.

Aqua Rake - Okay, I admit, I even got this to beat the Sand worm. But, like above, he can be beaten with nominal struggle the good ol' fashioned way.

Blowfish - Damn, ifn't it a nice spell. But, lets not forget, by the time you actually get it, 1000 damage isn't ALL that hard to come by. And let's not forget, GP Rain does far more than 1000 damage to ALL baddies, costs no MP, and the fighting you do to make the gold will net you some collateral experience.

Big Gaurd - Hard as hell to get, and, while it is helpful, it isn't that helpful. By the time you get it, Safe and Shell, and that other one, are kinda useless, in a sense.

Aero Spells - Okay, these ones are helpful, easy to get, and powerful. Worth it, I'd say. But I'm not wasting my precious time/battle slots just to get a beefed up Black Magic spell.

I only wished I hadn't wasted so much time learning Learning - time that could've been spent learning Black, White, or Time magic, or even summons.

Archer! Now there's a class. Strong, fast, precise, elemental bows do TEN times the damage of elemental rods, and you get to use X-Fight. I'd pass up blue magic for that anyday.

Zantetsuken !!!
09-30-2003, 01:33 AM
First of all FF5 strong point is definitively not the Oh SO GOOD and old Blue Magic, just that, they didnt made the blue magic strong, but in all the ways u go on ur life u will realize that Blue Magic is not that Strong as some ultimate Black magic that are very handy, and the ultimate healing spell (aleluia) but, i would say that blue magic is more like a " in the middle of the game magic", if u ever noticed that Blue magic in all FF's is very good to use on the middle of the game, and most in the end it's just for fun, plus, blue magic is my favourite and it will always be.....so funny and cute....just the almighty Odin summon to take the Blue magic place;) and oh, almost forgot it, Mimic is the best, second comes Sumonner( they summon Odin muahahahahahahhahahahahaahah, ok enough).

Mr. Graves
09-30-2003, 02:59 AM
White Wind is far more effective than Cure2 when it come to healing. Float helps alot when you fight Titan before heading to Galuf's World. And in my style of play, Big Guard is godsent.

Some Blue Magic is totally worthless, like Goblin Punch or ????, but I like getting them anyway. Just having them makes the game..... complete.

MagicKnight Locke
09-30-2003, 01:24 PM
here is the ones i found useful

aero spells:whenever u get them u'll need them.Not quite as good as some blackmagic spells but it is wind elemental and if i aint wrong atleast some monsters are weak against wind

white wind:useful until the very end of game when often ur blue mage will get so much damage whit wind wont do anything.However it can still be useful then if ur blue mage doesnt get hit ;)

big guard:useful from when u get it to the end.Say what you want but 2 times less damage almagest IS a plus,haste with it IS a plus.It only is bad when u try to get it,then it is a real pain in the a**

eestlinc
10-03-2003, 04:30 AM
I like blue magic in other ff games, but I never really even messed with it in ff5. In general, the fighting is cooler than the magic in ff5.

Sefie1999AD
10-05-2003, 03:16 PM
I thought all of FF5's abilities were pretty well balanced, including the Blue Magic. There are some great Blue Magic spells in the game. Aqua Rake is excellent against heavily armored sand enemies, and I like using it along with Ice 2/3 in the desert where the Phoenix Tower is (I like to level up in that desert). Level 5 Death is great against some enemies, like Archeo Avis in the Lonka Ruins. I really hate that boss, and its first form is extremely hard already due to its ability to change its weak point, but its second form can really hurt the party unless I take the cheap way out and use Level 5 Death. L5D is also great against the statues in Bal Castle basement because it instantly kills them, and they give me a good amount of EXP. Aero spells are okay, although I didn't use them that much.

IMHO, Big Guard is one of the best defensive spell in the game, 2nd only to the Cure spells. It gives everyone Safe, Shell and Haste, and it's really a life-saver during the harder battles later in the game. Exdeath also becomes a lot easier with Big Guard because his damaging spells, such as Algamest and Meteo, only do 50% damage. Float's also good against earthquake attacks.

Blow Fish is a great spell early in the game. I try to get it in Lonka Ruins. At that time, my normal attacks usually do about 500 damage, so doing 1000 damage is great. BF also ignores all defences, so it's the only thing in my arsenal that can kill those annoying grey squirrels (Skull Eaters, I think) in the ruins of Jacole in World 1. As for White Wind, it's a great healing spell, especially if the caster has a lot of HP.

robfinalfantasy
02-07-2004, 01:52 AM
At times Blue Magic is useful. Remember that many of the classes in FF5 were intended for variety.

Marble
03-25-2004, 04:06 PM
I always have a Blue Mage. Overkilling the Sandworm five times over is breezy, but fun - you have to fight the Dohlm Chimera first anyway, and that one's as good as a boss, so what does it matter. The Aero spells, Level 5 Death...

And White Wind, one of my Final Fantasy Favourites. The brilliance of this attack is unmatched.

Del Murder
03-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Blue Magic is useful because you get a variety of magic types in one ability.

Marble
03-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Hmm, yes, that's a good point. It sure beats Red Magic.

DocFrance
03-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Red magic has its place, too. I found it incredibly useful on the fire ship - in fact, for the fight with Liquid Flame I always make everyone a Red Mage, so they can all cast Ice2, Life, and Cure2. Also, Red Mages are the first step to attaining the ungodly !X-Magic, which is essential for my patented Sublimely Magnificent Quinta-Bahamut Mark III.

Marble
03-27-2004, 09:21 PM
You never explained how that one worked.

Caim
03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
i never use magic, the closest thing i use to magic is Espers but i still dont use those much either

DocFrance
03-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Umm... Espers are in FFVI...

Marble: Maybe some day soon.

Caim
03-28-2004, 08:54 PM
oh yeah! sorry about that!

babybahamut
03-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DocFrance
Umm... Espers are in FFVI...

What are they called in 5 then? I thought it was espers in five as well...

Sephex
03-31-2004, 08:15 PM
I personally never used blue magic. I never really cared for that "get monster ability" type of thing in any FF game. I used it a bit in FFVII, but I never went crazy over it.

DocFrance
03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by babybahamut
What are they called in 5 then? I thought it was espers in five as well... I think they're just called Summoned... uh... Things.

babybahamut
04-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Nope, its espers in 5 as well.

Marble
04-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Yes, that's right, it's Espers. The original Japanese word is "Genjû" in ALL FFs as far as I know, anyway, so meh.

black orb
04-17-2004, 03:05 AM
>>> Aqua rake/breath is useful against that annoying monster from the deserts..

eestlinc
05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
[Blowfish] also ignores all defences, so it's the only thing in my arsenal that can kill those annoying grey squirrels (Skull Eaters, I think) in the ruins of Jacole in World 1.

Geomancer's earth attacks work, throwing weapons work, other things I'm sure.

cactuar_12
05-04-2004, 12:47 AM
What does Void do? And why is Demi a Time Magic? (sorry for being off-topic)

Thanx, Tsunami, those stupid skull eater dudes ate my party's skulls to dust every time I faced them.... stupid squirrels.

MagicKnight Locke
05-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Dude,play a low level game and then complain that Blue Magic is useless.

Triple T
07-17-2004, 02:40 PM
The only good Blue MAgic is White Wind, Big Guard and Level 5 Doom, so I agree with you.

TasteyPies
07-17-2004, 10:22 PM
The only magic you need is white magic, a good x-attack with duel ragnoraks will kill almost any boss with 2 turns.

Trumpet Thief
07-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Blue magic has worked wonders for me, but I guess you could say that the other magic types are ahead of it. Still BM is real useful sometimes...

Heath
07-19-2004, 11:15 AM
To be perfectly honest, the only game I ever commited myself to getting all the blue magic in was FFVII (enemy skill) because that one little piece of materia gives you such a wonderful array of skills without any stat-decreases.

Aqua Rake makes crossing the desert a whole lot easier, so I'd always have Faris (my choice Blue Mage) learn that. Blue Mage class itself, isn't a bad one to master. Hell, I had a Blue Mage who was one level off mastering before reaching the second crystal (yes, I was power-levelling for once), so it doesn't take long to master. And the stat-increases are pretty good too. The only class that was easier to master for me, was Geomancer.

-N-
07-20-2004, 01:50 AM
*intensely flames you for dissing blue magic*

Just because they're the color blue makes them awesome. Big Guard is a boost too. L5 Doom - insane AP leveling up in Bal Basement with those statue guys. And they're blue!

Ultima Shadow
07-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Also... that Mind attack learned by Mind Flayers can be very usefull since it works on almost everything but bosses. And Big Guard+Wite Wind is reason enough to have Blue Magic but I also used lvl4 Flare and Aqua Breath alot.

cactuar_12
07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
2 words: Lv. 5 Doom. It P\/\/|\|$. Having trouble with Adamantium or the Soul Rocket Thing? :twak:

Giga Guess
07-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Actually, in the Void there are enemies where L3Flare works, which made my life Waaaaaay easier, ???? is great to use if you have high HP and are on the low end of the HP spectrum. Basically, most Blue Spells can be potent. You just have to know when to use them.

playaGAW
08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Its called summon magic in FF5. Thats from the official translation.

Giga Guess
08-18-2004, 12:20 AM
'Scuse me? I'm pretty sure a Blue Mage uses Blue Magic whereas a Summoner uses Summon Magic. But yeah, the game gets a bit easier once you learn Lvl.5 Death.

Blue mage Cloud
01-27-2005, 03:58 PM
I:love: Love blue magic. When you have a stratagy, even the weakest blue mage is useful.

strawberryman
01-27-2005, 10:57 PM
plus, 'guard comes in handy with the Omega weapon. I don't have it, and I got my ass handed back to me in pieces. I'm serious. I got horribly murdered, and i'm still sore about it. MUST KILL OMEGA!

Crazy the Clown
01-28-2005, 04:33 AM
Blue Magic spells. Collect them all! :greenie:

Harvest Moon
01-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Blue magick has that "cool" effect of knowing what the opponent knows..

Personaly no-thing can beat the blackmage if ya ask me!
http://www.ffextreme.com/ff5/classes/0black.gif
You won't have to worry about supporting your wife and kids.. IN THE NEXT DIMENSION! *Foos being the bard plays Rob zombie's "more human then human*

Masamune·1600
02-25-2005, 09:31 PM
I've gotten every Blue Magic in every game--mainly for the purpose of being thorough. However, Blue Magic can be useful in FFV, even if it lacks the firepower of the games that followed. Blue Magic is largely situational, but it gives you a variety of options. Most of the time, I won't use Blue Magic, but it does have its moments. If nothing else, Guardian is useful against Omega (although it's hardly the critical part of an Omega strategy).

rubah
02-25-2005, 10:51 PM
not to mention lvl5 doom in the basement of val/bal castle

Dormos
03-04-2005, 03:07 AM
The thing that annoys me the most about Blue Magic is the high MP cost. Other than that, I don't really have that much of a problem. I usually have at least one person in my party have Learning on all the time, even if there's nobody with !Blue.

FF5~Truly~The~Best
03-20-2005, 01:31 PM
It's kinda a Rip. Buying spells are A LOT easier than finding spells.
Lv.5 Doom is useful though, when you go into the basement of the castle, where you get Odin, there are stone Enemies, If you use Lv.5 Doom they die. and in a small group (2) you get 2 ability pionts, and in a big group (5) you get 5 ability points.

rubah
03-20-2005, 06:43 PM
actually in the big group you get 8 ap.

I only waste the 22 mp for level 5 doom if there's a large group. Otherwise I have everyone except Lenna dance and hope they don't use tango of temptation or mystery waltz more than twice. (lenna has a cure staff so if they don't use jitterbug duet she's there for backup and the occaisional Raise or Esuna)

Ultima Shadow
03-20-2005, 11:02 PM
White Wind is my personal fav. It's so **** usefull! :greenie:

PearlRose
03-23-2005, 04:47 AM
When I played FF5, I didn't bother much with blue magic, only to kind of lament it when the walkthroughs I refered to suggested using certian skills to make things easier.

Next time I play, I'm going to use my jobs much more effectively - last time was more of a haphazard mess where they learned a much of skills, but nothing that would make the last half of the game good. I really regretted not using Blue Mages and Archers. ^^;

Saint_007
03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Indeed, all of the preious is true. Blue Magic is essentially a middle-of-the-road thing until you get the really uber Black, White and Time magics. But even then, some Blue magic like Big Guard are just awesome.

Just a question: How and where do you find Big Guard? I've searched all of World One with a fine tooth comb for StingRay, but couldn't find him?

rubah
03-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't think he's in the first world? I remember getting it in the third world, I think (and even then it took a lot of encounters to finally find one)

omnitarian
03-25-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/ff5/bluestrat.shtml

It's definitely in the third world. Sorry, man.

Apollo
03-26-2005, 12:06 AM
In the fight with that desert worm thing (you know the one that moves around through the holes while fighting it) Goblin punch killed it in one hit!So yeah blue magic owns!!! :cool:

ehsteve
03-26-2005, 04:34 AM
I didn't use much Blue magic early on, but I used it a lot late game. My favorites are white wind and Level 5 death (Which works wonders on the statues in the basement of Bal Castle).

nik0tine
03-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Who the hell needs blue magic? The Blue mage, that's who!