PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else like Cecil better as a Dark Knight?

GenjiLeisureSuit
09-30-2003, 01:02 AM
He always seemed to do more damage with the Dark swords, Dark Wave was very useful against large groups of weak enemies, and he looked cooler.

I guess the point is moot for about 75% of the game, tho.

Outsider
09-30-2003, 03:57 AM
Of course I like Cecil as a Dark Knight, even though he's weaker than the Paladin...

But nothing beats that Deathbringer sword... *SWOON*

Garland
10-28-2003, 02:02 AM
The *only* thing that Dark Knight Cecil has over Paladin Cecil is character design. He looks cooler, but is otherwise worse in every way.

MagicKnight Locke
10-29-2003, 11:02 AM
before changing to wimpadin cecil looked cool,did cool attacks,had some sword magic.
After changin to wimpadin he got A HIPY LOOK!

TheAbominatrix
10-29-2003, 11:31 AM
I like the Dark Knight sprite, but other than that he sucked. He was crap against the undead, and as a Paladin he at least had some Cure spells to use when you had no other healers on your team. His 'attacks' were the same as when he was a DK... dude, he just swings his sword and there ya go. The Dark Wave or whatever was pretty much useless, too.

The Man
10-29-2003, 05:55 PM
I agree with Garland and TheAbominatrix.

Dark Wave would've been good if it didn't use up an eighth of the Dark Knight's health. Since it does so, it sucks. And curative magic and being able to damage undead negates any other advantages the Dark Knight might have (which, for the record, are none whatsoever). So yes, the only reason I can possibly see to prefer the Dark Knight is his appearance, which is indeed genearlly cooler than that of the Paladin (at least in terms of sprites).

The Dark Knight *is* a cool concept, I have to admit. But he pales in comparison to the Paladin in terms of battle effectiveness. And the Mount Ordeals scene was cooler than the concept of the Dark Knight, anyway.

robfinalfantasy
10-31-2003, 05:07 PM
I like him better for his graphics. Also another factor that makes me like him better is because of the fact that you have him for a little while. It just makes me yearn for him to be in my party. It's not everyday you have a completely armored FF character. Most characters whose sprites have armor usually lack a helmet. Not Cecil. He comes ready with that cool dark helmet of his.

Outsider
10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Kain had a helmet too, and a really cool helmet.

How I miss the old-school days...

Sasquatch
11-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I liked Kain's sprite much better than Cecil's as a Dark Knight, but I agree, the only thing DK Cecil had over Paladin Cecil is the look. Damn hippie.

Kain
01-10-2004, 06:05 AM
yeh well i really didnt like cecil thatmuch but yeh. he did look cooler as a black knight. i think the main character should have been KAIN!! Kain rulz.

robfinalfantasy
02-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Kain
yeh well i really didnt like cecil thatmuch but yeh. he did look cooler as a black knight. i think the main character should have been KAIN!! Kain rulz. At least Kain is featured in the FFIV logo.

Daventhalas
02-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Cecil could have ruled if he was a red wizard.

Dragonfire
02-08-2004, 04:50 AM
no such thing as a red wizard that "rules"

Daventhalas
02-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh yeah? There's no such thing as a... a... you... suck!

*runs away crying*

DK Cecil was cooler. Abilities have no real relevance in FF, since you can win with just about anything anyway.

cecil_pendragoon
02-08-2004, 10:51 PM
You know what.... I think I would have looked better with black hair or at least a helmet when I became a Paladin. But NO. The designers said Black was out and that crazy White/Rainbow color was in. Shesh. If I would have seen it coming before I would have stayed a Dark Knight. At least then I could keep myself a mystery.... and the whole evil knight stuff was cool.
:D :greenking

Citizen Bleys
02-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Daventhalas
Cecil could have ruled if he was a red wizard.

You mean one of those pimp guys?

Nah, he should have been a drug dealer.

eestlinc
02-09-2004, 12:20 AM
I don't think you could win with just Edward and Cid.

TheAbominatrix
02-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Abilities made a huge difference in the earlier FF games, before all your characters could be carbon copies of eachother. Most especially in FFIV hardtype, you'd be screwed without the right characters.

Daventhalas
02-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Feh, I bet you coulda done it with Edward, Palom and Porom, l'il Rydia, and Cid. It just takes tenacity.

TheAbominatrix
02-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Because you'd have the sort of characters you need. A white mage is absolutely neccessary, and in that line up you have two. That actually sounds like a powerhouse team there, with Edward as an exception. Palom and Porom will learn every spell any other black/white mage can, given time.

Though it's a moot point that if you give it time you can win with anyone. That's true of all games. Especially if you're at high enough levels.

Citizen Bleys
02-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Gilbert is actually pretty good in Fabul, if you give him the right harp.

Daventhalas
02-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I'll tell ya a powerhouse team! 3 Red Wizards (FF1 style) and Grand Master (ff1 style) and a Sorceror (also FF1 style).

Sure, Sorceror isn't a playable character... but he should be. Then the grandmaster could work over anything with his fists of might! And the Red Wizards just pwn. They could work over any FF4 team.

Unless they kept their original 3 digit stats..... then they'd get all worked over. :( And I'd cry.

The Man
02-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I never found Gilbert to be as crappy as everyone else seemed to. Go figure.

cecil_pendragoon
02-14-2004, 02:16 AM
You see I believe that with Rydia and Kain alone you could beat the game. Yet a red mage Cecil would be interisting..... or better yet a Mystic Knight. Oh yah! Give him the power of elemental swordfighting and BAMMMM!!! you dead... very dead.... so dead your children's children's children would be dead. Now that and a red mage at the same time.... Cecil would just walk in on his own and just smack around Zeromus and laugh at him while he is crying like a baby....

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahah......:rolleyes2 :D

VashtheStampede
03-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Zeromus "Oh yeah? WALL!"

Sorry, you got PWNED

Anyway, Cecil is bvetter as a paladin in every way, IMO. Why the scene he changed was not blessed with a 3d movie in Chronicles is beyond me, though

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-02-2004, 01:08 AM
I don't even think Cecil looks better as a Dark Knight than as a Paladin. The colors he wore were prettymuch uniform, and it was hard relating to a hero whose face I couldn't even see.

Rei
03-16-2004, 10:20 PM
I like my games to be balanced. I don't like how Paladin Cecil was the strongest, had the most health, and had a few spells. He was a wee bit too powerful. I would have prefered a Dark Knight Cecil, just because he had some weaknesses, although his health would've needed to have been jacked up quite a bit.

A Red Mage Cecil with the same capabilities as Paladin Cecil would've been overkill, kinda like T.G. Cid in Tactics.

DJZen
03-18-2004, 03:19 AM
I agree with Rei, but if you recall, a red mage isn't supposed to be all powerful, they're supposed to be the most average class. They're better at fighting than mages and better with magic than fighters, but they're not supposed to be especially wonderful at either.

Rei
03-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Well, Cecil'd always be a Knight, first and foremost. A Dark Knight is, well, a Knight weak against the undead and all that jazz. A Paladin is a beefy Knight with white magic.

A Red Mage Cecil, or whatever name they'd use, would, I imagine, be a Knight with both magic.s That's like Kain, minus Jump, plus, what, 15 spells?

Now that I think about it, a Red Mage Cecil (Red Knight?) wouldn't be all that bad, assuming he doesn't get supercharged physically, like the Paladin did.

Marble
03-25-2004, 04:08 PM
I liked Dark Knight way better. Okay, so the Paladin's swords can pack some punch, but the white magic is pure worthless. And Dark Wave is the coolest ability in the game.

Sephex
03-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I like the character design and the way Cecil plays a lot better than the Dark Knight. I still have no idea why everyone is obsessed with Dark Knight Cecil.

Nemesis the Warlock
03-26-2004, 12:04 PM
There's a thread like this every other month. Weird.

Dark Knight Cecil looked almost exactly like Kain. That's already a reason not to like him. And he dealt one (1) HP damage to undead monsters. I can't think of anything to say in his favour. All right, so he wears dark armour, just like Edmund Blackadder. But that's the only good thing about him.

unfie
03-27-2004, 12:54 PM
reason to like him as a darknut ? easy... when he gets his final dark sword (not the last sword a darknut can equip, but his last 'black' sword).... enemies he hits that still have hitpoints remaining auto-swoon (ie: those big blue birds around mysidia). gotta love one hit kills constantly :)

Sephex
03-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but that is the only time in the game it is useful. Anything past that point just doesn't work.

DJZen
04-10-2004, 06:40 AM
those big blue birds around mysidia

You mean Zuu? Or am I thinking of the wrong monster again?

You know, I just realized something that makes this comparison unfair... Paladin Cecil is more experienced than DK Cecil because no matter how much time you've had him as a DK for, the change happens and then he's a paladin for the rest of the game. It's entirely possible that if Cecil had remained a DK, he would have gotten new abilities, ones that put white magic to shame.........

TheAbominatrix
04-10-2004, 06:51 AM
You can level up DK Cecil to 99, and he still doesnt get any new abilities.

Boromakus
04-11-2004, 07:44 AM
"What it looks like, I care not. I just know it kills a lot."
--Gwar, Crack in the Egg

It's a video game. I don't think sensitive role-playing or worrying about how your character looks is a deciding factor in the sort of character you wish to play, considering you don't have a very wide array of dialogue options in Final Fantasy 2. (Anyone who calls it Final Fantasy 4 is a wasian and a poser. Yeah, I said it.)

That being said, the Paladin is the Correct Choice. If a species cannot adapt, it is wiped out. If Cecil can't stop being such a baby-eating mutant, you will never beat the game, and you will be tried and sentenced to a lifetime of walking around in a big square fighting monsters or until the game runs out of them. Then you could never get a job and you'd have to steal and you'd be nothin but a bum. So Paladin > Dork Knight

And I'm doing you a favor by telling you RIGHT NOW that pink is a viril color.

Mr. Graves
04-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Well, Final Fantasy 4 is it's real name, so if someone calls it FF4, they're actually being factual, because FF2 is a seperate video game.

I liked Paladin Cecil much better than the Dark Paladin. For one thing, he has white magic spells, actually looks humane, and can weild spells. About the only thing I don't like about Paladin Cecil is that he starts back at LV 1 after the "redemption"

Rei
04-11-2004, 10:19 PM
He starts at level 1, yeah, but you gain, like, 3 levels in the first battle after that, and you end up around level 6, or 9, or somethin', by the time you get down the freakin' mountain. Not to mention that he's got more HP as a level 1 Paladin than he did all the time I had him as a Dark Knight.

Heh, "wasian". Never heard that before, but it does fit.

The Man
04-11-2004, 11:13 PM
People who call the game "Final Fantasy IV" are doing so because the most recent time it was released, it was actually called Final Fantasy IV.

Mr. Graves
04-11-2004, 11:52 PM
He starts at level 1, yeah, but you gain, like, 3 levels in the first battle after that, and you end up around level 6, or 9, or somethin', by the time you get down the freakin' mountain. Not to mention that he's got more HP as a level 1 Paladin than he did all the time I had him as a Dark Knight.

....Even so, It bugs me.

Aphelion
04-12-2004, 12:57 AM
Cecil is cooler when he is in his Dark Knight "form".

DJZen
04-12-2004, 07:02 AM
You can level up DK Cecil to 99, and he still doesnt get any new abilities.

Not quite my point, but okay, also valid. My point was more "hey, there might be more cool DK abilities out there than Cecil can recieve because he was supposed to become a Paladin and therefore may not have gotten to master his Dark Knightiness". Just more random theory on my part. Remember, I'm the one who thought Ultimecia summoned Griever off of Squall's ring the way Diabolos is in the magic lamp.

And yes, it is called FFIV now. Square released it in the USA as FFIV. Also, you can't properly call someone like me a wasian. I have been properly identified as a spiggot before, and I challenge you to figure that one out ;)

The Man
04-15-2004, 11:52 PM
spiggot = spic+faggot? Just a random guess.