PDA

View Full Version : FF1 thief

katana
09-30-2003, 01:16 AM
FF1 thief question. Uh, since his name is thief, I would assume he has a steal ability. So why doesnt he have a steal ability?

Flying Mullet
09-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Because actual "stealing" in a battle wasn't implemented until FFIV. FFI uses the class "Thief" because it symbolizes his high dexterity(which I hear has been reduced in the rerelease). So in FFI, "Thief" is synonomous with "dexterious", not with "stealing".

GenjiLeisureSuit
09-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Some will tell you that its because of the lack of technology, I disagree. (Besides, couldn't you steal in FF3?)

I think it's because the "Steal!" command would've taken up an extra slot in the command dialog. And since none of the characters had special abilities (Mages had magic, but so did everyone else,) it would've been unfair, IMHO.

I'm kinda sick of all the Thief-haters. He was always a great fighter with me, his running ability was PRICELESS (cocktrices, anyone?) and the Ninja ROCKED.

Mr. Graves
09-30-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by GenjiLeisureSuit
Some will tell you that its because of the lack of technology, I disagree. (Besides, couldn't you steal in FF3?)

That's correct.

Genji, have you played the FFOrigins edition of FF1?? The Theif is completly worthless, and can't run that well. BB/Monk forever.

GenjiLeisureSuit
09-30-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Graves
That's correct.

Genji, have you played the FFOrigins edition of FF1?? The Theif is completly worthless, and can't run that well. BB/Monk forever.

No way. Original FF cart all the way! (and that's odd for me, cause I'm such a ROM whore)

But I can run 99%(!) of the time on the cart.

Super Christ
09-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Thief is worthless in Origins; which kinda sucks since I always used him on the NES version. In origins, use a Red Mage, or even another Warrior instead.

MagicKnight Locke
09-30-2003, 01:05 PM
until ninja a thief is the worst char besides bb.
on 2nd class the first are KN and RW and he is on the 2nd place with BW and WW

and as for master...he is well...sucky

Hatu
09-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah it was FF3j that first had Steal.

Disch
10-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Thieves are good for low level games... but other than that you're better off subbing them with an RM or Fighter.

Their running ability is good if you're underlevelled for dungeons, but once you get to level 10 or so... any 4-person party can run from anything without difficulty. The higher you level, the easier it is to run. Basically that's why thieves shine in low level games.

Before class change their defense is bad and their offense is mediocre. After class change their defense gets better but their offense is still mediocre. Their unique weapon (katana) is only a sliver better than the Defense. And ninja's natural stats (without a weapon equipped) are slightly lower than a RW's natural attack. So a Ninja with the Katana will have the same physical strength as a RW with the Defense or Sun Sword.

Ninja can learn FAST... but so can a RW... which is why I see it like this:

- for low level games... you'll probably want a thief (probably only one at that).
- if you're not low levelling.. and you already have someone who can cast FAST in the party, you're better off with another fighter. Fighters just have superior defense, offense, and HP.
- if you're not low levelling and you don't have anyone else who can cast FAST, you're better off with a Red Mage/Wizard. Red Wizards are superior in terms of defense and offense early game as well as having magic to back them up. Late game they aren't as defensive as a Ninja, but they compensate with their magic and their physical attack is just as strong (or stronger) than a Ninja's.