PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line

Deathclaw
10-01-2003, 01:13 AM
-Some Spoilers, go away if you don't like it-

I'm going to lay it out nice & simple

FF10 was a good enough game - it had a few good moments and many bad ones

Though nothing in the world could ever beat FF7 (despite it's poor translation), FF 10 was a decent diversion that was worth the time&effort.

That said, here are a few unforgivable problems with that game

- Whiny wuss protangonist
- The fact that Aurons backstory wasn't emphised more (perhaps him coming to terms with his problems could have unlock new skills like in FF6 with Cyan)
- No story skip mode after first play through
- 10 of every monster needed (why not 3 or 5)
- lack of decent sidequests (anyone here ever played dark cloud 2?)
- ultra linear maps; no world map
- the search mode (it's fun to mash x while scanning world you never really get to explore!)
- Tidus's repeated references to "my story"
- Cid crying (he was otherwise cool)
- cookie-cutter story (save the world!......again)
-seymore always talking for 30 minutes before his 2 minute boss fight
- overall easyness
- Lack of overdrives for kihmari
- the unsatisfying story (some parts don't add up)
- you have auto life cast on you for the last boss so it is literally impossible to lose
-playing 80+games of blitzball for wakka's weapon; the fact that the league prises never change so you either have to reset the data or play ten games for some useless dark matter

...And a few good things
-biran and yenke the crazy ronsos
-any character who refurs to himself in the third person
-The crazy jecht song
- the sphere grid was cool enough
- the first 10 or so games of blitzball

Silent Warrior
10-01-2003, 10:36 AM
But that's just your opinion. You're making it sound like absolute truth. Just for the record, there are some of your good/bad things that I place in the opposite category (and a couple of things I agree with), or I don't mind at all. Like a winy protagonist - as long as the dialogue is/was consistent with his character, and the changes he'd go through, I'd actually enjoy it. Now, if the dialogue really WAS consistent is another chapter. :) One that won't be covered here.

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm with Silent Warrior. And I do wonder why we need 8638396 threads on this.

Anyway.

- Whiny wuss protangonist
I enjoyed the change. It was nice to have a hero who wasnt all slick-cool and ultra-powerful. Granted, he did get annoying sometimes, but it was a nice change from heros like Squall and Cloud, who I like, but I can only stand so much of.
- The fact that Aurons backstory wasn't emphised more (perhaps him coming to terms with his problems could have unlock new skills like in FF6 with Cyan)
I thought it was emphasized plenty. Anymore would have been overkill, since even the main character didnt get a sick amount of backstory. Besides, if he came to terms with his 'problems' (what problems did he have, again?) wouldnt he lack the strength to stay in Spira?
- No story skip mode after first play through
No FF to date has featured this, why would this one? It did, however, have a feature to shut off the drawn out summon scenes, which was a God send
- 10 of every monster needed (why not 3 or 5)
Didnt think it was that big a deal. I assume for good prizes it takes a lot of work.
- lack of decent sidequests (anyone here ever played dark cloud 2?)
There were enough sidequests for me, the only thing that bothers me is the recent deal of the sidequests not being more obvious (they dont need to be blatant, but most I had to learn about through friends and FAQs). It seemed to have about the average of any FF game, seeing as it is and FF game, and not a Dark Cloud game, which is a whole different premise, really.
- ultra linear maps; no world map
Yeah, that was kind of a pain. I liked the reality it added to the game, a hybrid of this feature and the old one would be nice.
- the search mode (it's fun to mash x while scanning world you never really get to explore!)
Definitly crappy.
- Tidus's repeated references to "my story"
That was the whole point. Auron also references it constantly, and I'm sure Yuna will be mentioning it during X-2. I liked the fact that Tidus was actually telling us the story, it was nice.
- Cid crying (he was otherwise cool)
He cried? Eh, I guess I forgot about that
- cookie-cutter story (save the world!......again)
Like every other FF. I did like how these people werent the only ones trying, though. In every other FF, your group is seemingly the only people on the planet that can help substatially. Granted, your group in X were the only ones to do it right, but I did like that there were other summoners heading to defeat Sin.
-seymore always talking for 30 minutes before his 2 minute boss fight
Yeah he was annoying.
- overall easyness
Ease doesnt really bother me in RPGs. VI was terribly easy, but it's still the best one out there I think.
- Lack of overdrives for kihmari
Didnt bother me, I've got no real opinion on that.
- the unsatisfying story (some parts don't add up)
I loved the story, and dont know what parts didnt add up.
- you have auto life cast on you for the last boss so it is literally impossible to lose
Yeah, annoying. Be Jecht is the real 'final' boss, fighting Yu Yevon is like the one on one between Cloud and Sephiroth in X.
-playing 80+games of blitzball for wakka's weapon; the fact that the league prises never change so you either have to reset the data or play ten games for some useless dark matter
Never bothered with that. I hated Blitzball.

Advent Child
10-02-2003, 04:21 AM
- it's too easy
- it's too hard to collect monsters and play blitzball

And it annoys me how you think FFVII is the best game in the world and nothing will ever be better. There are already a lot of better games. Even on it's release. Anyways I won't start this again.

EDIT: Those first 2 lines are mocking you.

Storm
10-02-2003, 07:17 AM
*SPOILERS*

I really did love FFX. When I rented it, I played it for a week straight. It was like I was in a movie.

But anyways, there were things in the game I didn't get or just weren't explained, such as:

1. How exactly did Jecht get into Spira? Yes, I know he went out to sea to train, but how did it happen and why? Tidus went into Spira because Jecht was Sin and Jecht wanted Tidus to experience real life(as brutal as it was). What about Jecht?

2. Just because Auron is dead, why does this allow him to live in the dream Zanarkand? Auron isn't a dream, so how can he live in the dream world?

3. How can Tidus and Jecht possibly exist in Spira?

4. How likely is it that Tidus, Rikku, and Wakka(who are by chance the only one's that can swim) are the only one's thrown into the water part of the Via Purifico? And why would the guards leave them with weapons?

5. After escaping the Via Purifico, Seymour encounters the group when they are leaving the Bevelle Highbridge. He talks for a while, and then sticks his magic wand in the air, emits black energy and simply disintegrates the guado guardians, the warrior monks, and Kinoc. If Seymour has this ability, why doesn't he just do the same thing to Tidus and company instead or morphing into a cement block with a claw on it and getting his ass kicked?

6. How did Kinoc go from being an average warrior monk to a Maester of Yevon?

7. How did the Guados find the Al Bhed Home? And, why can Guado Guardians summon fiends? And why do the fiends fight WITH the Guado Guardians? Aren't fiends supposed to be jealous of the living?

8. There's no way Auron could climb down Mt. Gagazet after Yunalesca fatally wounded him. He probably couldn't even walk, did he roll down the mountain? And I'm pretty sure some of the fiends would try to beat him to death if they saw him(recall, the fiends are jealous of the living).

9. At Operation Mi'hen, did the Al Bhed Weapon actually destroy some type of shield around Sin?

10. How did Seymour get inside of Sin?

11. Why is there a city on top of sin?

I think that's about it for now.....

TheAbominatrix
10-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Okay, its been a while since I played so I may be wrong, but I think I have the answers to some of these.

1. How exactly did Jecht get into Spira? Yes, I know he went out to sea to train, but how did it happen and why? Tidus went into Spira because Jecht was Sin and Jecht wanted Tidus to experience real life(as brutal as it was). What about Jecht?

I think it had something to do with the dreamers, they wanted to stop dreaming so they had to do something... somehow, they pushed Jecht into Spira so he could hopefully defeat Sin and end their dreaming. Mainly, I think, because Jecht had never known Sin. He didnt have all these 'facts' about Calms and Sin's constant regeneration drilled into his mind all his life like the people of present Spira.

2. Just because Auron is dead, why does this allow him to live in the dream Zanarkand? Auron isn't a dream, so how can he live in the dream world?

I dunno. I think it's simply because he is dead. The Farplane... isnt it part of the dream? Because the Farplane showed in the game was the old Zanarkand. Do the dead go to the old Zanarkand? Or is it possible to get there from the Farplane? No clue.

3. How can Tidus and Jecht possibly exist in Spira?

Well I think it works something like the summons. They only exist from the will of the dreamers of Zanarkand. Their strength allowed Tidus and Jecht to interact with the real world, even though they were still something of a dream. When they ceased to dream, Tidus ceased to exist.

5. After escaping the Via Purifico, Seymour encounters the group when they are leaving the Bevelle Highbridge. He talks for a while, and then sticks his magic wand in the air, emits black energy and simply disintegrates the guado guardians, the warrior monks, and Kinoc. If Seymour has this ability, why doesn't he just do the same thing to Tidus and company instead or morphing into a cement block with a claw on it and getting his ass kicked?

I dunno. It's like that in a lot of animes and games. If the baddies have these abilities and all these soldiers, why dont they use them all at the same time?

8. There's no way Auron could climb down Mt. Gagazet after Yunalesca fatally wounded him. He probably couldn't even walk, did he roll down the mountain? And I'm pretty sure some of the fiends would try to beat him to death if they saw him(recall, the fiends are jealous of the living).

Wasnt he already dead at this point, killed by Yunalesca? And if not, and they do beat him to death... that fits in with him being dead and all.

9. At Operation Mi'hen, did the Al Bhed Weapon actually destroy some type of shield around Sin?

I believe so.

Deathclaw
10-02-2003, 02:54 PM
I was reading over some of the replys. I would like to thank storm fo going through the story incosistancies. I notice a lot of them and a good number of the others served to make me think.

Sure. I agree there have been a lot of better games since FF7. But my point was that none of the newer fianl fantasy ones have stacked up, i my opinion.

8 was the only RPG i've ever played that is easier if you DON'T level up. I had two parties at the end of the game- one levl 85 or so and another lvl 18. It was actually sort of fun to do my best not to level up, but also riduculous Still, the card game was alot of fun (despite some strange rules and the Queen of cards quest) and the story had it's moments.

I have never played 9, to be honest so it could be better then 7, but all my friends seem to think it was "meh" at best.

10 was a good game. The story was stilted for me- all of the genuine and cool seeming characters seemed to have smaller roles.

Maybe I'm too blind to see if ten is better, but more likly i've been waiting for square to pull something truly different out of the bag. One thing i used to like before playing 10 was atb, but after seeing 10's method, and being able to carefully plan your turns, it was far better (I hate lining up cure magic and having the person you're trying to heal die whle you're fumbling around in the menu) plus, haste kicks ass in 10, where in other games it wasn't even worth casting.

When i was playing 7, i was completle imersed in it- it was all i wanted to do. 10 never managed to mae a complete adict out of me...sad, but true.

lemonation
10-04-2003, 05:04 AM
I was reading some of the things that don't add up, and for number five, about seymour disentegrating people, they were already dead I guess. They were holding their bodies together at Seymour's will or something, and then they 'sploded on command.
For number 10, how didn't he get inside Sin?
And for number 11,about the city, it isn't on Sin. It's in Sin. Sin is a tiny little dimension held inside the physical body we associate with being Sin. Sin is both the body and the tiny little world. At least that's what I think.
And if you don't agree with me, let's just say a wizard did it and leave it at that.
Goodnight everybody!