PDA

View Full Version : Will ff11 be able to compete with Everquest 2

darkchrono
10-01-2003, 06:04 AM
Do you think ff11 will meet its doom when Everquest 2 comes out. It will be interesting if people are not satisfied with ff11 how many people will leave to go play the next everquest game.

You have to admit, the new everquest game looks pretty spiffy. And unlike star wars galaxies. Its creators know how to make a successful online game.

FF11 will have its hands full trying to compete against everquest 2.

To be honest. Unless ff11 turns out to be a world beater. I think the game will struggle once everquest comes out.

jimjom
10-01-2003, 09:30 AM
no way this game is gonna compete with any game.

only people playing this game are the people who paid for it and don't wanna waste or the people who don't realize it sucks, cause it does.

so I got the beta. i was pumped! alright. install and play.

sooooo disapointed. it's just sitting on my computer. lifeless. i haven't had the desire to go back to it in several days.

it's got nothing everquest. it's a very flat, uninteresting game with little to offer anyone who has played MMORPGs before.

run while you can.

just an opinion i felt obligated to voice.

Lionx
10-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Well i found it to be very good. AT first its a bit boring because you had to lvl up, but once you reach 12 or so you can finally find the power of partying, and theres tons of stuff to do like guilds.

I am very into the teamwork of that game, and the number of quests/missions/guilds to do. Always can fish if i am bored, and with the Linkshell i can always find stuff or interact very well. To me this game will beat EQ hands down especially with no PKing and the community in it.

darkchrono
10-01-2003, 05:00 PM
everquest has a much larger player base though.

And if everquest players get upset with everquest they probably will not come to ff11.

While if ff11 players grow bored of ff11 they very well might go to everquest.

Rostum
10-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Well, I know if I ever did get bored of FFXI, that I wouldn't go to Evercrack... ahem *cough* Everquest.

I've seen the game play for that, and graphics etc. Seems like it's not all that well done. Anyways, that means less idiots for the FFXI world. ^_^

No offence of course.

Lionx
10-02-2003, 01:38 AM
I dont care for the player base, the community in it is usually very good compared to stupid EQ, so i wouldnt care for EQ

project_mayhem
10-02-2003, 01:45 AM
my personal opion is this..........

there are a sh1tton of ff fans out there and most of them will play this game atleast at first......i've heard very mixed reviews of the game... so i can't really say if they will continue to play.......

eq2 does have alot to offer so i think alot of people who are simply interested in a mmorpg may switch but die hard ff fans will most likely not

but this only deals with PC users playstation users on the other hand will probably be much more into ffxi since im pretty damn sure its gonna be alot better than eqoa(not to dis eqoa im playing it right now... but it doesn't have the depth that games like eq 2 and ffxi are sure to have)

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-03-2003, 01:14 AM
Well Ive never really played any other MMoRPG's unless you can count Diablo 2 (Which I Don't)

So To me every feature will seem new and cool.
I dont plan on trying any other MMoRPG's unless they are Final Fantasy Realated......

I'd Guess there are others like me ......so I say FFXI compeates with EQ 2 Very well......

I bet it will be close.....

SubMatrix
10-03-2003, 03:26 AM
If you're going to play Final Fantasy simply because you love the series you should check out this article (http://vault.ign.com/articles/451/451803p1.html). Final Fantasy I'm sure will bring many of it's hard core fans on board but many of them may leave when the realize that this is just another MMORPG.

I don't mean to knock the game by saying "just another" (I myself have been feining for the game for about a month now), I just want to stress to all those out there who have never played an MMORPG before that this will be a very different experience. My only advice would be that if the game seems like it's starting to suck or if you feel discouraged, don't give up. Find online help, get your friends to play, etc. There's a ton of things you can do. I used to play EQ (I canceled my account 3 weeks ago to prepare for FFXI) and when I first played it I hated it. It was the most god aweful thing I had ever given perfectly good cash up for. But through the persistant harrasing by my friends I stuck with it and wound up with a 65 cleric 10 months later. So yeah, persistance, that's what it's all about.

As for FF competing with EQ2, all of my friends who play EQ claim that they will avoid EQ2 like the plague. The thought of giving up their hard earned characters just to start again in the sequal is less than appealing. Given that, those who do leave may be just as inclined to try something new (like FF) as to join EQ2. Factor in EQ's virtual absence of any sort of plot line (not sure if they play to do something about that in EQ2) and Square's overzealous commitment to it, I think that EQ player will find the world to be just complex and dynamic as EQ but also coupled with a stellar plot line lends itself in-game.

I'm not biased really, I just love Final Fantasy. :)

Leighton

Valarm
10-03-2003, 03:50 AM
In my option having played EQ and the beta for FF XI I'm sure both game will be great. I think what it will come down to how user friendly each game is. For the very, very, very die hard MMoRPG fan EQ2 is probably going to be the choice for them simple because it has more realistic features such as fall of the cliff and hurting yourself and they prefer there should be something more then exp lose for dieing giving the game a increased difficulty that FF XI does not have.

But for those people who like to solo and don't like having to go after there corpse every time they die will prefer FF XI and I believe will bring in more players for this reason and more players that have not played a MMoRPG before. Also FF XI brings a lot of new features to MMoRPGs such as the Navigator and Tetra Master for the down time as you wait for friends to log on.

And what it really does for me is the game has a feel no other MMoRPG has and only Square could of provided by making FF XI into MMoRPG which other medieval MMoRPGs such as EQ, EQ2, or UO will never have because while they have been around much longer giving them a better content curve there still don't think outside the box enough. And FF XI is completely outside the box type of thinking and so over time I believe FF XI will end up end up in the number 1 ranking spot were EQ is now.

Other then that I think they both even out graphic wise and will probably even out quest wise also.

no PKing

While there won't be PKing in the sense of EQs PvP servers or UOs Fel, PvP is going to be added later next year, but exactly how it will be done is yet to be seen.

Lionx
10-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Exp lost is 10%, so at later lvls that shalf an hour of lving. its not an easy price to pay at times..

And FFXI usually ahve a better community.

darkchrono
10-03-2003, 06:54 AM
ff11 will probably be mostly teenagers and younger playing it. While Everquest and such other games coming out will probably have a little older community.

Lionx
10-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Not true at all, most people i seen were 17 and up, i see no one younger play. Plus younger people are usually the ones with no party and i dunno about parents and all too.

I usually find EQ to be the one with adults who are jerks, while FFXI to have maybe a bit younger players, be actually more mature. So heh...

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-03-2003, 01:42 PM
SubMatrix

you made a good point that is is differnt than normal FF's.

But what I was saying is that Like me, Some people never even tryed other MMoRPG's not because they dont like the Genre but because nother ever caught their eye before.

I had heard of MMoRPG's and even of Ever Quest and Rangnarock but they never made me want to go out and buy them.

FFXI will make me want to play an MMoRPG.....in fact I am really looking forward to it.

SubMatrix
10-03-2003, 03:57 PM
As you should be, I don't buy any of the negative remarks I hear about FFXI (I force myself into denial). People claim that it's boring, but I've played like 5 or 6 MMORPG's and they were all boring after the initial "Oh my god this new game f'ing kicks ass" phase. And I don't even think it's so much boring as the realization that this game in fact WON'T cure cancer. It's just a matter of finding your niche and what you like about the game to stick with it and become obsessed all over again.

And as for the age thing. Anyone else out there like me who's been into FF since it was on the NES should be at least in their 20's if not damn near close to it. People who came around with 7 for the PS might be a bit younger, but my opinion is that if they could play through it, beat it, and stick with all the sequals, then they are most likely at least a bit more mature and intelligent than the average kid their age.

Do you ever stop and think how dumb the averge person is? It's even scarier when you realize that half the population is dumber than that.

Leighton

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-04-2003, 10:06 AM
then they are most likely at least a bit more mature and intelligent than the average kid their age.
Do you ever stop and think how dumb the averge person is? It's even scarier when you realize that half the population is dumber than that.

Well I Live in Canada Not America so The general Populace is at least literate.

Thats the great thing about Canada, Instead of Assuming everyone is Dumb we can Assume everyone is at least at a High School education Level.

Note: This Post is only supposed to be slightly insulting to Americans. As I know many of YOU arent Dumb.....But many in America are......Including your President......Who DID get a Majority Vote. ;) :rolleyes2

Bahamut2000X
10-04-2003, 01:37 PM
I say FFXI will smash Everquest. People are losing faith in sony online now and I am one of them. Look at Planetside another game run and produced by them. It has some of the worst community of people EVER. Everquest Online Adventures everyone on the forums is agreeing when FFXI comes out Everquest OA will die horribly, it's already got a low population in addition to patches every month or so tweaking a single stat, or maybe the best part yet, the only event run on Everquest OA, orcs attacking a larger city...sounds great right? 2 orcs every half hour spawning in the town...quite litterly too.

But look at what Square has done with thier online game and you'll see Sony just can't compete because their too lazy to do real work, ignore the players (they did this in all their online games I played, just ignored what we wanted nad did what they wanted and let people who only ruined other people's fun run loose just so they get their 15 bucks a month.)

So in short Square good Sony dead.

SubMatrix
10-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Nakor TheBlue Rider
Well I Live in Canada Not America so The general Populace is at least literate.

Thats the great thing about Canada, Instead of Assuming everyone is Dumb we can Assume everyone is at least at a High School education Level.

Note: This Post is only supposed to be slightly insulting to Americans. As I know many of YOU arent Dumb.....But many in America are......Including your President......Who DID get a Majority Vote. ;) :rolleyes2

I won't deny that many Americans are stupid, (I'm from Arkansas and we aren't world renowned for our intelligence) but I do have to stand up for our nation as a whole. Our public school systems suck, yes, I don't even know if we're in the top ten. But on a University level, we're number one in the world. People come from all over the world to go to our colleges because of that. The key difference is PUBLIC schools vs. PRIVATE universities. Our public schools simply don't get enough funding in most parts of the U.S. Whereas our colleges and universities (the Ivy League at the very least) has absolutely no financial issues and produces the very best lawyers, doctors, businessmen, etc. People like to bash the U.S. because we have a lot of flaws, but seeing as we're the world super power and have been since probably WW2, we're obviously doing something right.

As for Bush, I like him. I don't agree with everything he's done and no one is claiming he's perfect. But I get upset when someone calls him dumb and I'll ask that person just how many press conferences did they watch of Bush? And they say zero but they've seen on TV clips of him screwing up something. Most people don't realize that Bush held more press conferences in his first year and a half of presendency than clinton held in his entire 8 year presidency. You give a one hour speech in front of a live audience without the aid of a teleprompter many time with questions being asked once a week and see how often you commit a malapropism.

So yeah, I could go on but then I might start yelling, and I'm having a hard time already thinking how this post has anything to do with FFXI vs. EQ2...

Leighton

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Your University's are the best in the world but the % of people in your country that go on to university is very low.

I just think thats why you said

"Do you ever stop and think how dumb the averge person is? It's even scarier when you realize that half the population is dumber than that."

Not trying to insult anyone....Really

darkchrono
10-05-2003, 12:31 AM
I wasn't really talking about the playstation everquest game vs ff11. I was mainly talking about the computer everquest game vs ff11.

And that is where I think ff11 will have a hard time competing against everquest.

The computer everquest game will probably be alot better than the ps2 everquest game. And ff11 will need the computer population to go their way in order to make ff11 a success. Because alot more people have computers than they do ps2's.

Rostum
10-05-2003, 01:04 AM
FFXI is playable on the computer as well, if that's what you're getting at.

darkchrono
10-05-2003, 02:00 AM
yep, and that is where I think ff11 will have a hard time making alot of money.

Lionx
10-05-2003, 03:04 AM
I dunno....i am gettin PC because i am too cheap to buy a network adapter/HDD XP and because its comming out earlier, it might get more players. Just the name Final Fantasy will draw alot of attention. So i think its more of a free for all in the PC market, it can turn either way, but i think the majority of FFXI players will be PC, whether they have PS2 or not.

project_mayhem
10-05-2003, 03:08 AM
yeah my point with the playstation comment was that i think ffxi will easily dominate the PS2 but with the pc it'll be split between hard core mmorpg fans and hardcore ff fans

project_mayhem
10-05-2003, 03:11 AM
as for which one will have more players.... prolly pc since most people who are even interested mmorpgs are pc people i personally will only be playing it on pc until the PS2 version comes out.... since i don't wanna have to buy my own computer to play it all the god damn time... the HDD is much cheaper than a nice computer............i don't have 2 grand to spend on playing a the 1 computer game i care about

Valarm
10-05-2003, 04:29 AM
majority of FFXI players will be PC, whether they have PS2 or not

I all so think this because players will mise out on the for front of the release if they wait for the PS2 verison. Shuch as special events that may happen inbetween time of the PC and PS2 release (hopes they will rerun previous events after release) and just enjoy a game from the very get go.

I too have also thought about geting the HD when its released but heard its going to cost a hefty $99 plus what ever eles you need. The final decision for me will be if they add another expanison ontop of the one thats allready going to come with the PC version of the game. And then I may go ahead and spend the cash so I can play on my 27" t.v. and sit on a comfortable couch with my feet up instead of at a cramped desk.

My bigest concern with the HD is when they release there new console if you'll be able to move the HD from the old PS2 to the new console since you will not have the software to install it on the new one. And what if the new console comes with a hard drive this time, that would be a plan waist of money. :eep:

eternity7
10-08-2003, 01:31 AM
THIS IS TOTALLY INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course FFXI will toast EQ2!!!!!!!!!!!11
I have played both companies' games, and frankly, Square's usually have better gameplay, story, mechanics.... etc.
Look at FFVII.
The BEST game EVER ;):D
Even though this one is different, it still ROCKS!

Ouch!
10-08-2003, 02:50 AM
Let's put it this way. Everquest is known around here as Evercrack because it's sucks so much. Evercrack blows!

darkchrono
10-08-2003, 09:23 AM
ummmm. I think you guys are forgetting that the everquest people KNOW how to make a successful ONLINE game. They know what it takes to make it work.

Sure Square is good at console RPG's. But now they are delving into a whole nother world. And look how successful they were a couple years ago or so when they tried to delve into a whole nother world with The Spirits Within.

Square obviously has not had any experience yet in the online world so it really would not be suprising if this game is a failure.

And really all the comments about ff11 will be better because square makes better stories and all does not really apply to this.

And to tell you the truth. Everquest 2 seems to have alot more options then ff11 does.

And I assume Everquest will be more experienced also in keeping the game going then square will be with ff11. It will be interesting to see how much emphasis square will still be putting on ff11 once ff12 comes out.

Rostum
10-08-2003, 12:12 PM
We'll have to see when it 's out for a few months. Not all features have been seen, for the expansion hasn't come out yet (which comes with the retail version of FFXI), but I'm guessing Square will keep upgrading this game.

Anyways, alot of beta players seem like like this game, and it seems to be doing well over in Japan. We'll just have to see over in the U.S.

eternity7
10-08-2003, 01:09 PM
About the expansions, Square recently released that- I don't remember where I found this- that FFXI will have a story, and they will make it grow by using more exp. packs. Just a fact.

SubMatrix
10-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by darkchrono
ummmm. I think you guys are forgetting that the everquest people KNOW how to make a successful ONLINE game. They know what it takes to make it work.

Sure Square is good at console RPG's. But now they are delving into a whole nother world. And look how successful they were a couple years ago or so when they tried to delve into a whole nother world with The Spirits Within.

Delving into a movies when you started with games is a bit more extreme than shifting from one type of game to another, I doubt I'd call it a whole nother world compared to movies. And your example doesn't really apply since Square hired American's to do the production, plot, directing, and actors; they supplied only a few programmers. So it was a business venture, not one reflecting Square's skills at all when it comes to game making.

Also, Everquest was Verant's first venture into the online world, so why didn't they fail? Simple, they did their homework, they studied all the other MMORPG's that were on the market and stripped away the good elements and left behind the bad. Every new MMORPG to this day makes an effort to "copy" some successful aspect of another game. Square has done the same. FFXI will be successful because Square is amazing when it comes to making games, and they really went out of their way on this one to ensure it would be enjoyable.

As for extras, I believe that Square has plenty, and plenty more in store. I purchased the soundtracks for teh game and the expansion offline after hearing that they spent over $45,000 on the music alone, and it shows, there are some really good songs on there. How many memerable songs does EQ have? Oh that's right, Verant opted out of hiring someone to compose a score and chose instead to put together a few midi tracks for certain areas to save money. If I had to pick one area that would cause FFXI to dominate over EQ it would have to be company dedication. Unlike Verant who has online applications that you can fill out to become a GM who gets paid nothing, Square will be doing the same but also hiring and paying people to be 24 hour in-game GM's. It's just little extras like this that keep people involved with FFXI. But on the same hand Square is now upping the bar, and I woulnd't be surprised to see Verant follow suit if it means more customers.

I won't deny that I'm biased towards Square and FFXI. But it's with good reason, I've played EQ up to level 65, but it only appealed to my perfectionistic side of improving myself. I quit EQ after I had been grinding one day for about 5 hours just earning AA and raid points (there's really wasn't much else to do at the time) and my friend who watched me for about 30 minutes said "that really doesn't look any fun." To which I replied "It's not, but you have to grind to get better." He then asked the question that no one else ever had "What then?" I thought for a few minutes and then logged off and canceled my account. (This is a long example to make a point by the way :) ).

Yes I understand that you can't eve beat an online game, the point is that with EQ, all you can really hope to achieve out of the game is having a good character. Square is going to going to great lengths to create a storyline that the game follows. And unlike some MMORPG's like SWG, the plot is all instanced for every player. You can play the game and the game treats you like YOU'RE the hero. Even though you may know that everyone else has done this mission already, the game gives you that sense of accomplishment coupled with a storyline that if it has Square's name on it it's good enough to be a book.

EQ wasn't a bad game, and still isn't, and EQ2 probably won't suck either. But in my opinion, it's a matter of company comitment, and Square just knows how to make gamers happy.

Leighton

darkchrono
10-08-2003, 05:14 PM
We'll see. Though you may not have liked everquest there at the end. There are tons and tons of people who did. I admit I wasn't an everquest player. I found online games kind of boring. And I will have to play a wait and see for both ff11 and everquest.

How good of story could the stories within ff11 really be. I asume all they will be is pretty much the person giving you the mission will give you a detailed background for the mission you are about to take part in and such and a few fmv's here and there but that will pretty much be it.

We'll just have to see what the reviewers say about ff11.

Rostum
10-09-2003, 07:23 AM
I don't think that's exactly the extent of the background darkchrono, but you're right on one thing; we'll have to wait and see.

eternity7
10-09-2003, 12:54 PM
FFXI has a deep underlying story with a great enemy, but the story will be revealed in pieces and no one knows the whole story yet.

Kalel
10-12-2003, 05:35 PM
I am 32 going on 33 and I plan to Play FFXI online and not Everquest.
Everquest stinks in no help at beginning of game, ugly graphics, crappy character design, no good monsters.

I see Everquest 2 to complete just a little bit with FFXI but not by much. Hardcore EQ fans will buy it and MMORPG fans will get it. But people like me who don't like MMORPGs will prefer FFXI. At least on PS2, I see FFXI on top.

And FFXI is not easy. Maybe compared to many other MMORPGS which has no story or instructions on what to do. FFXI is harder than any other FF before due to complex level/job system-losing exp when dying. Plus very big game and is hard to get use to at times for us console RPG fans.

But I love FF. Plus I know Sony kept FFXI off PS2 on purpose to give Everquest time to get money. Come they kept hard drive out of USA on purpose. I am not going to reward them for it.

Just like I would never buy a Microsoft console because if they ever won console war. Games would cost over $100 or more. I know since I work with pcs and its cost so much for software due to monopoly of microsoft. Sorry to get off subject.

SubMatrix
10-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Kalel
I know Sony kept FFXI off PS2 on purpose to give Everquest time to get money. Come they kept hard drive out of USA on purpose. I am not going to reward them for it.

You're right that Sony is reluctant to release the HDD in the interests of profit but it's not out of fear of competition. Sony is afraid (and rightfully so) that there will be no market for the HDD in U.S. Given that FFXI is the first and so far only game to require a HDD Sony want's to be sure that demand exists before producing the HDD and risking a loss.

I won't say for the decision NOT to release the HDD on time had nothing to do with EQ but if it did I'm sure it had very little influence. If Sony were really so afraid of competition it would imply that they believed that FFXI would be a success and therefore would be inclined to release the HDD to make money.

Leighton

XERO
10-14-2003, 08:28 AM
i read a few posts about the community of EQ and how it sucked,and what im about to say may have been covered already but i was to lazy to read throgh the long ass replies. so here it is. the EQOA community was not a good one. people were not very helpful at times,not that thats their purpose in game,but it would have been good to have some form of helping hand. and then the flaming....good God so much criticism to other players. now im an importer of FFXI, and keep in mind that i know no Japanese at all. i have never come across problems like these. there is the occasional time when my question doesnt get answered right when i ask it,but sooner or later it does. and in FFXI, ive never come across anyone who saw me fighting a monster stronger then me then waited for me to die and take its loot, the players stopped and helped me,whether it be with a cure spell or a protect spell. in EQOA,this was not the case for me. so my point basically is, EQ community= mean and unhelpful(for the most part,there are good seeds in the bunch) and FFXI community=nice and helpful for the most part(there are those mean people that wont let you join their parties :( ) well everybody....thats all