PDA

View Full Version : Email notification won't leave me alone

Big D
10-05-2003, 12:44 AM
I took a little bit of a break recently, and didn't want my inbox to get spammed up with a week's worth of "so-and-so has replied to a thread you've subscribed to..." messages. Accordingly, I went to the profile options screen...

Use 'Email Notification' by default?
Using this option emails you whenever someone replies to a thread that you have participated in.

...and selected "no".
However, I still got updates on every single thread I've ever posted in. Well, not quite, but you know.

Is there some way to disable email notifications completely? For threads only, I mean, not for PMs and the like. It's not that I don't want to know when someone replies to a thread, but there's little point to getting hundreds of emails when you're going to be away for a while.

wax
10-05-2003, 12:57 AM
That happened to me once. I think that turning that "no notification" option only stops notifications from posts you replied to after enabling it, if you have existing subscriptions to other threads, you'll still get mail.

eternalshiva
10-05-2003, 01:09 AM
If you are subscribed to the forums or the threads, you will still get notifications ... That was my problem >>

Big D
10-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Yeah, but unsubscribing from every thread would be a pain... trying to find them all and re-subscribe later, and all that.

crono_logical
10-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Yes, I've heard of that problem before, but I can't remember how to fix it :p I never use subscription myself anyway :p

Is there an option to unsubscribe from individual threads anywhere? Having never subscribed to anything, I assume I don't get to see that option since it'd be rather pointless showing it to me, but I don't want to test subscribe to something and not be able to unsubscribe later on :p

Divina
10-05-2003, 02:08 AM
I believe that if you go into your profile, there's an place where it shows you what threads you've subscribed to. I think you can just unsubscribe your threads from there. It should be under the "My vBHome" part.

Big D
10-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Yes indeedy... problem is, if you want to remain subscribed to threads (so you know what and where you're involved in ongoing discussions), but simply want a break from hordes of email notifications. There's an option in the Profile which is meant to turn those off, but it's not really working.

Burtsplurt
10-05-2003, 12:06 PM
I thought e-mail notification could be set up in the admin cp so that the default when a user registers is 'no'? If it could be, that'd probably be good. I think there are more people that want it off than on, and most people miss it when they register.

Citizen Bleys
10-05-2003, 04:26 PM
You could change your email address to something that doesn't exist and get one of us (admins) to manually reactivate your account.

The problem with that is that you wouldn't get reported posts, either.

crono_logical
10-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Of course, if he's taking a break, would he want those emails too? :p

Peegee
10-06-2003, 05:53 AM
If you're just taking a break and wish to not receive emails, yet wish to receive them after without having the pain of suscribing....

why not just block the eyesonff mailer?

Loony BoB
10-06-2003, 11:35 AM
I'm with PG on this one.

eternalshiva
10-06-2003, 11:52 AM
yeah. that's the best solution, just block them and un block it when you get back.

Linus
10-07-2003, 02:19 AM
Wait, wait, wait, let me get this straight.

People actually use the e-mail notification feature?

And even weirder... people subscribe to threads? Both of those are completely superfluous options. They don't have any REAL use, do they? Besides taking up valuable inbox space?

Advent Child
10-07-2003, 03:04 AM
Linus, don't forget, they add MSN popups when you're playing a full screen game.

Yamaneko
10-07-2003, 11:03 PM
I just remember what threads I've posted in. It's a good system.

Big D
10-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Fronkey
Wait, wait, wait, let me get this straight.

People actually use the e-mail notification feature?

And even weirder... people subscribe to threads? Both of those are completely superfluous options. They don't have any REAL use, do they? Besides taking up valuable inbox space? Email notification is set as a default, and you're automatically subscribed to any thread you post in. Besides, since my internet access is so expensive, it's nice to be able to see, via free email, whether there's any point to accessing the forum before doing so.

Linus
10-08-2003, 02:26 AM
It's set as default because it's PURE EVIL, and EoFF condones PURE EVIL.

The free e-mail thing I can see as a potential use for e-mail notification, though I think instead of leaving PURE EVIL on, I'd subscribe to only 2 or 3 threads at a time. That way you don't get 9 trillion e-mails a day from PURE EVIL, but you can still keep up on the topics that interest you. Your other thread is a good suggestion because it would help you, and possibly others, although most of us try to avoid using PURE EVIL.

Radje
10-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Here's what i do. Set EoFF mailer to junk mail folder. Doesn't inturupt you during games with MSN notes. Doesn't spam up inbox. Works for me.

Spatvark
10-12-2003, 08:46 PM
I only subscribe to my story posts; the only time I use the damn feature =P

Big D
10-13-2003, 03:41 AM
Well, seems there are plenty of ways with dealing with it, thanks folks.
My only real 'concern' was that the "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" option wasn't working at all, apparently. Selecting "no" had no effect on the amount of notifications I got. Seemed that some haxoring might've been called for...

Peegee
10-20-2003, 12:00 AM
selecting it by default works for new posts, but your existing subscriptions are still around to update and confound you ^_^