PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the storyline

bondj02
10-05-2003, 05:36 PM
I loved the story line for ffx but i think it was a bit to dark and did not involve the final boss enough. I mean it gets mentioned once and then practicly forgotton then to appear suddenly on your screen. I didn't think the story line was the best because it did not unfold til' the end. Also I think the last boss should have been made possibe to lose against because I don't know whether it happens on all games but auto-life was automatically cast and when i couldn't defeat the boss coz i wasn't powerful enough I had to switch of the game because every time I attacked this boss with 8999 damaged he cured himself with 9999. I want to know what you thought of the story line and what is your best game. Reply....please!

arcdragon9
10-05-2003, 07:15 PM
It was ok, i thought. It wasn't as good as 7,8, or 9's story, but it was ok. It had its ups and downs.

bondj02
10-05-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm glad someone agrees with me. All my mates say 10 is the best. I wasn't that keen 8 but 7 was OK. I really liked 9.

Greeneyes
10-06-2003, 05:02 AM
I didn't want Tidus to disappear at the end. I REALLY wanted him & Yuna to be together. Yeah I know they become united in FFX-2 but I don't really like sequels. I prefer happy endings in a game rather than having to wait for part 2 of a game. I also didn't want Auron to go away. He was GREAT!

CRAZY IVAN
10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Twas Ok
the storyline was weak at times through

Jebus
10-07-2003, 03:31 AM
I've seen worse.

Like Duke Nukem (Twas a fun game, but very little story:D )

Nova Dragon
10-09-2003, 07:14 PM
I found the mix of politics, religion and fundamentalism to make for a very good story.

jpiceman
10-09-2003, 07:56 PM
I thought it was a great story line. Can't really say my fav cause I guess it would be a spoiler, but the story line in general was pretty tight. Although your right nothing really happend till the middle of the game tward the end.

Blackmage
10-10-2003, 02:51 AM
FFX's storyline > many other stories. This ranks as one of the best storylines for a Square Enix game, IMO. Not the best, but definitely a great one. Anything involving the corruption of higher forces and meditating upon the matter is more than worthwhile.

PaladinCecil
02-17-2004, 03:02 AM
I liked the storyline, but there were a few things that i didnt think got answered in full. First, how does Jecht get to Spira to be Braskas guardian in the first place? Second, if teh Zanarkand that Tidus and Jecht are from is a dream of the fayth, how does Sin just show up and commence to whoopin on everything? There are more things that i dont understand but i will leave it at this for now.

Bahamut2000X
02-17-2004, 03:12 AM
The plot had a bit of plotholes, not to mention the evil badguys I didn't even really care much about and never felt like I needed to really stop them. And the way it seemed, that even if the ultimate evil goes on, life won't change drastically ever, it seems to me just like everything would be the same with a small side of destruction and death on the side. So there never seemed to be much reason to stop the bad guy cause as he was he wasn't all that deadly as bad guys from the past who actually threatened all life rather then just being a nussicance like Godzilla.

I also disliked how not all the charcters got too involved with the plot outside of Yuna, Tidus, and Auron with the others popping in every now and then. Not to mention Cid never really got into the game that much either beyond a little bit of speaking and such.

The over all plot was fairly decent, but definatly not better then previous ones in my opinion.

Big D
02-17-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Nova Dragon
I found the mix of politics, religion and fundamentalism to make for a very good story. I liked that, too. Spira's history and culture was well developed, possibly the best-realised FF world since FFVII.there were a few things that i didnt think got answered in full. First, how does Jecht get to Spira to be Braskas guardian in the first place? Second, if teh Zanarkand that Tidus and Jecht are from is a dream of the fayth, how does Sin just show up and commence to whoopin on everything?As in FFVII, there are answers to these questions, but they're quite well hidden. Sin can cross into Dream Zanarkand because both DZ and Sin are creations summoned by Yu Yevon. Fayths provide the 'dream', the Summoner makes that dream spirit become reality, sort of. Likewise, even though they're merely dreams, Tidus and Jecht became real because of the summoning process. They crossed from the dream world into the real world, becoming corporeal just like an Aeon.

SeeDRankLou
02-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Big D
Likewise, even though they're merely dreams, Tidus and Jecht became real because of the summoning process. They crossed from the dream world into the real world, becoming corporeal just like an Aeon.

The fayth in Kilika Temple said that Jecht became real by touching Sin. And so, when Tidus touched Sin, he too became real.

Big D
02-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Ah, good point. Jecht probably helped Tidus to become real, too. Late in the game, Auron says to Tidus that "Jecht wanted you to have a shot at life." Jecht knew that Tidus might be able to help defeat Sin, freeing him from Yu Yevon's possession, freeing Spira from its eternal spiral of death, and freeing the Fayths that've been trapped and dreaming for a millennium.

Kahless
02-21-2004, 03:47 AM
The good was the dark theme and the political religious thing. Also the charecters were pretty well developed.

The bad was that especially noticeable on replay was that it seemed to follow Wizard of Oz. Things like how tidus and dorothy both fell out of the sky. You had a dummy a hearless guy and a coward along with you and without a world map you could pretty much follow the "yellow brick road" or in this case -- the big red arrow. There is one other point where they seem to meet up, but I'd end up spoiling both.

Flare_Star
02-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Personally, i thought the storyline was pretty crap. The only time i found my lower jaw detatched from my upper was when you find out that Yevon are a load of dead men who want to destroy the world and betray their own teachings.

And some people's involvement in the story was nil. eg wakka and lulu.

(Warning spoilers ahead.)

Unlike other games where everyone had their own mini-adventure so to speak. Take FF9,

Zidane wants to find out what his relationship with Kuja is,

Dagger wants to find out who her real mother is and stop kuja from taking advantage of Brahne.

Vivi wants to know who he is and where he came from.

Steiner wants to protect the princess and finds himself betraying his queen.

Freya returns to her homeland to protect her king after deciding not to return. (also her love with sir fratley)

Eiko fancies Zidane and finds dagger as another summoner but without no horn.

The others i'll give, but i hope you see what i mean.

Big D
02-22-2004, 12:55 AM
All of the games since FFVII neglect the secondary characters pretty well. Sure, they each have their own 'stories', but they get virtually no time in the spotlight compared to the characters in VI and VII, who each get to take centre-stage at some time or another.

X is no different from VIII and IX in that regard, in spite of having some very impressive and intriguing characters.

However, they weren't all totally marginalised. There were some great scenes surrounding the secondary leads, like Auron's scenes, and the conversation between Wakka and Lulu on the ferry to Luca, to name but two.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Thought the storyline was pretty good, as was the ending, though perhaps not as good as it could have been. I really would have liked to have seen more on the other characters. Auron, Yuna and Tidus are pretty well covered, Khimari marginally well, and Wakka, Rikku, and Lulu barely enough to satisfy your desire to know more.

Tidus45
03-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Heres the way i see it

X-Awesome
7- very good
8&9- Sucked badly. so badly i can't believe i actually bought them

Silent Warrior
03-02-2004, 08:39 AM
The story itself I found alright, but some of the dialogue and voice-acting... not quite as alright (very rarely to the point of sucking, don't you go get any ideas about me hating FF altogether). Hey, I HAVE played Torment and Wing Commander, you bet I'm choosy! :D

xenapan
03-02-2004, 05:39 PM
a wing commander fan! *cheers*

the storyline was ok... just that tidus and jecht being dreams was just stupid tho.

SomethingBig
03-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Meh, FFX's story was the best, next to 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9's stories. As Bahamut2000X said, most of the villains didn't even have reasons for being in the game. The only real villain was Seymour, who just incessantly comes back, which got extremely annoying after the second time you fight him. Throughout most of the game, I was thinking, "Ugh, when am I gonna get to the next boss?" What kept me playing was the fun boss battles. Whereas in the other FFs, I contemplated what was going to happen, what happened, and what was currently happening. This was especially true for FF7 with its thousands of plot-twists. That's another problem with FFX's plot; it was just way too linear. The game spoon fed you the plot. You knew exactly what was going to happen and when. I like to try and figure out the future and I like the game even more if it does something totally contrary to my predictions. FFX get a 6/10 in the plot category, IMO.

Kirobaito
03-02-2004, 09:46 PM
There couldn't have been a better storyline and character development than what occurred in FF6.

But X, the biggest problem was how linear the game was. It was either extremely boring, going from place to place, walking eight feet and getting a cutscene, and then suddenly having all of this information poured onto you. It wasn't fun playing it, to me, at least.

SomethingBig
03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Exactly. Again with the spoon feeding. Instead of having you actually uncover the plot through actions, Square poured the plot on you through hundreds of cut-scenes.