PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

bondj02
10-05-2003, 05:57 PM
In the U.K not only do we not have Final Fantasy XI but not every where has broadband. If there is anyone on this website from the u.K and lives in the Rye exchange then please go on to the BT website and request that we get Broadband coz as soon as they get 500 request the Rye exchange give us Broadband reply to me if u are in the Uk and U have Broadband

Bahamut2000X
10-05-2003, 10:28 PM
If your worried about not being able to play wit high speed on FFXI, I wouldn't worry about it, the game runs the same speed on 56k (just ask any of the beta players on 56k) The game runs perfectly on any connection it seems, just broadband will see the nanosecond of lag every few weeks less then 56k users it seems.

Lionx
10-05-2003, 11:43 PM
The game doesnt really go any faster or slower once ur in game, its only good for d/ling patches and stuff. Not a bit issue.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
10-06-2003, 11:29 AM
well the beta testers didn't have thousands of people running around.

Wont that make a differnce.

Lionx
10-06-2003, 11:59 AM
If 50 of them ran around the same area anyone would lag. If there are say only 10 or so it should be fine and i dont think there will be more than 10 or so in most areas. The weather effects tho will lag 56Kers but its easily disabled. It doesnt add alot of stuff with the game and it can obsure ur vision. You can alway sknow the weather easily by looking above the compass where a symbol shows the weather.

Also everyone is going as fast as 56K because they make everyone tap into that reletive speed.

SubMatrix
10-06-2003, 04:11 PM
On of the reasons for the 6 gig install size isn't just for the graphics. Back in 2002 Square said that the vast majority of of the game would be stored user-side- more so than the typical MMORPG. Essentially when playing Square is sending only minimal information to your computer telling it how to act and initializing preset instructions for doing just about anything they deemed common enough to pre-write. It's much more complicated than that but I think everyone gets the drift. This was done with the PS2 in mind for users who did not have access to broadband. If you experience lag when in a large group of people or with numerous spell effects going off it's much more likely that youre video card is lagging and not your connection.

This doesn't mean that serverwide lag can't exist when the pipeline reaches it's peak, but in those rare cases everyone will be effected despite their connection. Also like lionx said everyone will be downloading at 56k from them because they put a choke point on it server side. As far as I know the choke point is on downloads only and when sending informaiton you can utilize your full bandwidth (this does little good for you but gives them more leway for information spacing).

Leighton